iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Senior citizen maul

Started by indiaxman1, November 29, 2009, 03:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

i used to bat right or left and use and axe right or left, without thinking about it.

I never realized that I generally split wood left handed though.

Here is me and Charlie in Production Mode.

He's a pretty good helper. Hardly ever lets a stick fall.  ;D

beenthere

Tom
I read about that spare tire trick somewhere to hold the pieces....... ::) ::)

sorry Charlie   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I tried using my spare tire to hold the pieces but couldn't figure out how to split the wood without splitting my belly.  :D  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Engineer

I bought a mega-maul from Bailey's, promptly cut the handle off (too short) and TIG welded a new 35" long stainless steel pipe handle back on it.  Then covered the whole thing with no-slip grip paint.  It's a beast.  Also have used a True-Temper 4-lb "Total Control" maul that I picked up at Home Depot, which is great for smaller stuff, you get a lot of head speed and definitely good control over it.  Also have a couple of old-school 6-lb mauls and sledges, an Estwing wedge, and two teenage sons to help occasionally.

In spite of that pile of splitting equipment, last spring I bought a new Timberwolf TW-P1 hydraulic splitter.  Both my father (who's 70) and I split the cost, and we each used it this summer to put up about 10 cords of wood.  I don't have the time or energy to split that much by hand.  

Oh yeah, the tire trick is something I picked up off a Youtube video - it works really well, you can set the tire on a big old knotty round and split away.  The guy at the dump thought I was nuts when I asked him if I could TAKE a tire instead of leaving one.  I got one that was fairly wide so pieces didn't fall over.  I do still split by hand if I get the inclination to do so.

Shotgun

Quote from: Tom on December 02, 2009, 01:20:37 AM
Here is me and Charlie in Production Mode.

Tom, this doesn't look to be a real safe practice, but since it Charlie holding the wood, I'll overlook it.     :D

Are the peas nearby?

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

pigman

You are right Norm. That does not look safe at all. Charlie could move the block of wood and Tom could hit his leg with the maul.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Coon

Another great little trick to use on a splitting maul is to get yourself a 4" long piece of old rubber radiator hose and slide it on over the handle all the way to the maul head. If the hose does not fit nice and snug you will need to make a slice down the length of the hose.  Next, you take sports tape and wrap it on nice and tight so the hose don't move.  This will help save the handle from getting knicked up or from even cracking if by chance you misjudged your aim.  Not that any of you guys would ever misjudge eh?  ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ron Scott

I also favor the one with the motor on the end of it. ;)
~Ron

Magicman

Quote from: Ron Scott on December 08, 2009, 12:42:43 PM
I also favor the one with the motor on the end of it. ;)

Hydraulic hoses work best to keep the handle from being damaged.  That keeps the maul in the back of the truck, while the splitter is working..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

indiaxman1

Yeah coon, splintered axe handles happen............your hose solution sounds right...the
maul I use most has a metal collar 3-4" below the head....very forgiving on overswings...not that I ever misjudge..........cool breeze blowing in tomorrow w/snow ice....lay that oak/hickory by

eamassey

I've been using a Sotz "Monster Maul" for at least 35 years.  I burn wood, every winter, all winter.  I have three wood stoves--two in the house, one in the shop.  I just can't think of any reason I would want a hydraulic wood splitter.  I have several strategies-- one is, take care of any blow-down first--I have not yet cut a live tree this winter.  Second, cut a lot of stuff to burn as round wood---6-10" diameter.  Third, don't split wood in the woods, make a pile near the house of to-be-split, and split 15-20 minutes at a time-so as to not get worn out.   Forth, don't cut wood for splitting that you can't split.  Hickory--- I never use except as round wood.  Gum--I wouldn't haul to the house for fuel wood.  I burn about 50% red oak, 25% white oak, 10% hickory, and 15% other mixed oaks.

I never lift (big) heavy wood, I put the front end loader next to the wood and roll it in.  I don't find keeping enough firewood much of a problem.  I usually split enough wood in 15-20 minutes for 4 to 5 days of burning.

sparky

Tom,

I will hold the wood while you swing the splitting mall, and when I nod my head, you hit it!

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Tom

Phorester

Don't get any tool bigger than your wife can handle.

rebocardo

> Gum--I wouldn't haul to the house for fuel wood.

I have been using sweet gum for firewood for a while. I have learned to only split it with a chainsaw though. I had some rough going with the sledge hammer and wedge when I first started  ;)

What I like is it gets pretty light once all the water is gone and lights easy.

Frank H.

Heck, I like splitting by hand.  Yes, I do have a hydraulic splitter, and I save all the knots and maple and such for it, but the straight stuff gets all done by hand.  It really makes you feel like a hero when you throw piece after piece of red oak onto the chopping block.  Whack!  Whack!  One shot one kill.  I've been using an 8 lb maul that has a nice taper from the rather thin edge to about two thirds of the way to the poll.  I have looked at some of those high end ones however, ( I think the name is Granfors if I remember right) and would b pretty happy if I found it under the tree (hint hint honey.)

Magicman

Mmmmm, I see that you are 36.  If I could lose 30 years and be 36 again, I would enjoy splitting firewood.....Again.....Let's see, how 'bout losing 30 lbs. too.  :D 

I don't have a hydraulic splitter.  Sometimes use my neighbors'.  Mostly just cut wood that is "just the right size"....and don't need splitting.    splitwood_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on December 12, 2009, 05:06:51 PM
Mmmmm, I see that you are 36.  If I could lose 30 years and be 36 again, I would enjoy splitting firewood.....Again.....Let's see, how 'bout losing 30 lbs. too.  :D 

I don't have a hydraulic splitter.  Sometimes use my neighbors'.  Mostly just cut wood that is "just the right size"....and don't need splitting.    splitwood_smiley

Magicman,

You'd probably drop the 30 pounds if you went back to splitting firewood by hand... I know I would  ;D

Herb

Magicman

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on December 13, 2009, 03:11:40 PM
You'd probably drop the 30 pounds if you went back to splitting firewood by hand... I know I would  ;D  Herb

Yup.  I guess that we're all above what we think we should be.  When I was 36, I did weigh about 135 lbs. which is 30 less than now...... :D

I solved the splitting problem by just cutting smaller wood.... ;D

indiaxman1

Yes, that Gransfors is the best...had mine 7 yrs now...still could shave with...got new wood rack set up over weekend....then had to fill it...sore as a dog, but Magicman we just got to pace ourselves...my old uncle used to say "better to wear out than to rust out"

Magicman

Quote from: indiaxman1 on December 14, 2009, 06:23:40 PM
"better to wear out than to rust out"

Yeah, from the inside  :D

My "git up and go" gets a good workout on the sawmill..... 8)

Thank You Sponsors!