iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big logs

Started by jayzee, September 27, 2006, 08:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayzee

I have access to a steady supply of logs that are too *DanG big to saw on my woodmizer.  They are 30'' - 40'' on the small end !I can buy them for less  $per thousand than smaller timber . Any ideas on how to break them down ? Alaska chain saw ? I have thought about that option but it is pretty slow and laborious . I am always about 3 weeks behind on orders so time is definitly an issue. I hate to buy another complete mill . Help !

Part_Timer

How about breaking them down with a chainsaw and porta power?  Slow btu not to slow.  Maybe find someone with a swinger and have them cut cants to resaw on the WM?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Get a local welder to make a dedicated slabber with vertical shaft engine. Wouldn't be ALL that difficult to make cants and table slabs.  Use wooden beams and angle for the tracks.

What length are them logs ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Don't know where you are, but I can cut 54" dia. by  up to 46' long.

As Part Timer said,   the Swinger cuts you the cants and you slice em up!
Up to 10" by 10" cants are easy. 

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Kelvin

I had the same problem as you, big logs and a woodmizer.  I had noticed in the past that chainsaw rip real fast when you go down the ends as opposed to ripping with the grain like on an alaskan mill which i've had as well.  What i decided was to buy a real big chainsaw.  I got a STihl 088 on ebay that was like new (warning, a lot of pro guys unload their worn out junk on ebay.  Only buy from someone who was using it, and not too much!)  I then bought a 54" bar from baileys and standard chain.  I can rip down the end of a 5' white oak in no time, and standing on top bring the cut around to the other end and down that side.  Really cuts those long strands.  Takes 20-30 mins tops.  Take 1/2 to bandsaw, cut in 1/2 again, or whatever you want. 

Cheapest and fastest way i could find to rip the big ones right away.  They should make a dedicated slabber that cuts end to end instead of side to side.  I've never had as much speed with rip chain, as i have with standard chain coming down the ends.  You can't beat it!
KP

jayzee

Thanks guys. I am in Northeastern Oregon so big chain saws are fairly easy to find. That may be the best way after all .

Percy

Heya jayzee.
I had exactly the same situation as you, gotta smokin deal on a supply of large logs. I hired a local Swing Blade mill(Lucas) to cut about 1 third to one half of each log and then Id cut the "half moon" on my LT70. The guy can only cut 8x8 max efficiently but I just needed 6x6 so it was no problem. I paid him by the board foot one day when I needed copius amounts of 6x6x16. The Lucas MIll dude cut 3840 bf that day by hisself, I was impressed..... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

kderby

Hey JayZee Congrats on the big logs!   I am down by John Day with a Mizer also.  I have worked with a Lucas and Mobile Dimension locally.  The Lucas wins for portabilty.  Both have issues turning the log to get better quality cants.  There are a couple of each brand down here if you need a reference.

The Mizer is a superb resaw due to the smaller kerf and smoother cut.

Are you milling for rough (corral/barn) or finished (furniture/interior trim) lumber?

Regards, Kendall

jayzee

Hi Kendall. I do about any and everything. Check out my website : jayzee lumber.com. My family has been in the logging business in these parts for over 100 years now and I ran my own company for 25. I got tired of staying away from home and fighting with the enviros so here I am . My mill is within spitting distance of  my house and I can't keep up wiyh my orders !

Thank You Sponsors!