iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porting a husky 350

Started by isaaccarlson, April 21, 2016, 12:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isaaccarlson

A friend of mine sent a saw home with me a while back so I could fix it.  It wouldn't hold a tune and then it would.  It drove both of us crazy.  He told me to take it home and look at it when I got time.  That was over a year ago.  I have been poking around with it here and there.  I knew it was an air leak, but couldn't find it.  Well, I tore the whole saw down today and found the problem.  The case was not sealed and was blowing mix all over the inside of the saw body.  That means it was sucking stuff in too.  The bearings feel tight but they may have sustained some damage after sucking in crud.  It was run lean and the intake side has some very fine scuffing from dust and grit but the piston was caked with carbon. :-\  He said he bought it new, but someone had it apart before and used clear silicone. ???

I was able to remove every fastener on the saw by hand, except for the flywheel nut.  They were at least a ½ turn loose!   :o  The top half of the case is warped and will need to be flattened.  The saw is repairable, but will need some work.  How much is still to be seen

I called the owner and told him what the repair bill would be and he is going to call me back to let me know if he wants to stick the money into it.  It is an older saw and he might just buy a new one.  He is a good friend, so I am starting to port it while I wait for his answer.  If he wants to fix it, I will throw in the porting for free.  If he doesn't want it back, then I will be half way done with a new saw.

I don't know how long the saw was like this.  He cuts a lot of firewood and this saw shows some hours.  I am surprised it would even start any more with the bolts as loose as they were.

My plan is to open this thing up and see what it will do while still keeping reliability.

Anyway, here are some pics.
Piston before

Piston after

isaaccarlson

I am making progress, but it is slow since I have to work between doing other things around the farm.  The left transfer is mostly roughed in.  The rear port still needs to be extended toward the intake and then the whole thing can be smoothed out.  I will be getting a non limited coil from Baileys so I can tune this thing by ear.  That is the best way, IMHO.

isaaccarlson

:D :D :D I was wondering why it was cutting so slow!  The switch on my dremel just quit on me.  The fingers inside had lost their set, causing the dremel to loose power over time, so I bent them back and put it back together.  I must have been working at about idle speed yesterday after seeing how fast it runs now.  It is no wonder the burr was clogging up and chattering.  Now I can get some work done. 8)

hi ho, hi ho,,,,,,,,

JohnG28

Is it 52cc model or 49cc? If it's a 50cc a flat top piston from the 353 is a direct replacement for the dished piston in the 350. Can pick up a piston/ring set around $35 as I recall. That and permatex base gasket delete made for a noticeable increase in power. The muffler bolts are know to vibrate loose on that model, not sure about all the bolts though. Some loctite has kept the studs on mine from moving. Torqued cylinder bolts to specify and retightened after a startup, no issues. Good luck with it.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

isaaccarlson

It has a dished piston.  The base gasket will stay, since the transfers don't open all the way as it is.  The replacement piston would need more work then the stock piston to get the same side clearance for the transfers, so I am going to try this one and see what happens.  I see most guys grinding out the side of the jug base to let more air through but I removed metal from the piston instead.  We will see what it does.  I can always put a different piston in it later if he wants me to.  I think he will be happy with it the way it is.

isaaccarlson

I just ran the saw in some wood.  I pushed on it pretty hard and it was holding 12,500 in the cut.  It was bouncing off the limiter under normal weight.  This saw is something else.

Thank You Sponsors!