iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mig Welder

Started by MartyParsons, January 12, 2018, 10:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
Found this. Anyone have one like this?

Need to get a Argon tank for the spool gun.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

That's a step up from me Marty!

Mine uses flux core wire, yours uses Argon gas, obviously you have the better unit!    ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scsmith42

Nice setup Marty. 

I have something similar from Lincoln (210MP) that I like a lot.  Don't have a spool gun with it though.

Enjoy!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

hopm

No expert by any means, but we have one like that at our shop. I asked the guy who does our welding if he could teach me. He asked me if I could use a chalk gun. Told him yes. He said you wont need much teaching. With his guidance he made it alllllmost idiot proof. Been able to use it on many occasions and be confident in the weld. Does a really good job.

starmac

I have a spool gun that is very similar to that one, but the welder I used it with has passed on and is long gone. I had two regulators so I could leave both bottles set up and ready on the cart, just plug and play between the suit case and the spool gun.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You plan on welding that hydraulic box back together?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

Any major downside to using CO2 instead of Argon?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

starmac

Argon is to use with the spool gun on aluminum. Co2 or a mixture of CO2 and argon is what is commonly used for steel.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

goose63

Argon will burn a little hotter and with a lot less splatter
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

millwright

You will be able to easily weld aluminum with that. Use argon and preheat a bit and keep the metal shiny clean. I usually wash down aluminum with acid you can get at any truck supply, they use it for cleaning wheels and aluminum boxes

John Mc

For welding steel, I use a CO2/Argon mix on my MIG unit (75% Argon/ 25% CO2). It costs a bit more than straight CO2, but it works well, and I don;t use enough of it for the cost to be a significant issue.

If you are using a spool gun, I assume you want to weld aluminum. For that, I believe you need straight Argon (but I'll defer to the guys who actually do aluminum welding. I haven;t messed with it).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chevytaHOE5674

Welded a lot of aluminum with a spool gun on a miller mig machine. Argon gas and getting the aluminum as clean as possible are crucial. A stainless steel wire brush that only gets used for aluminum and acid are your best friends. While the spool gun will stick aluminum together i much prefer TIG welding alum when possible.

woodworker9

The MM 211 is a good light to medium duty mig machine, rated for up to 3/8" steel.  Nice spool gun, too.  Those can get very pricey.

The 211 has an autoset feature that will allow you to set for ticknessh of material and weld.  The machine will make all the necessary changes.  Controlled by a board....so remember that. 

The 211 will also run on 120V or 220V.  Obviously, 120V for thinner steel applications. 

As stated, 100% Argon needed for that spool gun and aluminum.  I use C25 for steel.  You'll want tri-mix if you're welding stainless.

I have the Millermatic 200, which is the "old school" transformer power house big brother to yours.

For aluminum, as stated already, clean, clean, clean and more clean.  Also, preheat to 250° - 300° makes a huge difference.  For trailers and such, a spool gun is great.  For pretty welds, you're going to get sucked into the wonderful world of TIG.

Nice unit.  They hold their value very well.

There is a fantastic YouTube channel for anyone who wants to learn....."Welding Tips and Tricks".  Jody is a great teacher, and discusses all aspects of welding all different materials with all processes.  I have learned a lot from Jody over the past few years.  He made me a much better welder.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

John Mc

Woodworker9 - Is this the YouTube Series you are talking about:
Welding Tips and Tricks

I'm FAR from an expert welder. I can stick pieces together, and sometimes it even looks good. My welds are functional, but I don't do anything that might be safety related. I stink at sheet metal (because most of my welding had been on 3/16" to 3/8" steel). I really need to practice on the sheet metal a bit.

I've watched some of ChuckE2009's welding videos. He has some instructional ones, but lately has been more into projects and reviews of equipment. I've watched a few of his instructional videos, but I'm not good enough to know how good an instructor he is. (It would help if I ran right out and tried some of the stuff he talks about after watching, but things just never seem to work out that way for me.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

coxy

nice set up  when welding aluminum make shur you have no draft like a fan or an open door with wind blowing it don't work so well the first time I tried it I was out side what a mess  :D never did get the hang of it its nothing like welding steel  I use argon co2  and run it at 25psi seem to do better for me   I also learnt that if your up higher than your tank up your psi

Kbeitz

I stick weld aluminum. Rods don't last long...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

One of my farmer friends has that exact setup spool gun and all and last time I checked he loves it.
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

With that spool and argon acting as a purge gas you would be able to weld stainless also and not get the burn through. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

I weld stainless without the spool gun with either normal C25 gas or 98/2 mix. The books all recommend a tri-mix gas. Pure argon and stainless leads to a tall cold beads with not so good penetration.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   What about Helium? I know it makes you talk funny if inhaled and great to make the kids smile in balloons. What about uses for welding?
Thanks
MArty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

chevytaHOE5674

Helium would be the primary gas in the traditional " Tri-mix" gas that many recommend for stainless. Tri-mix being 90%He 7.5%Ar and 2.5%CO2. IF your doing a lot of stainless welding it would be beneficial, but for occasional use you can get by with C25 or an argon/CO2 mix. Last I check Helium was very expensive so it would be costly to have sitting around for a once in a while project.

dustyhat

since i live in the House boat capital of the world , and like everyone else in my area we all got really good at aluminum welding. the best tip i can give is use quality welding wire in machines and spool guns.

Larry

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 15, 2018, 04:27:29 PM
Hello,
   What about Helium? I know it makes you talk funny if inhaled and great to make the kids smile in balloons. What about uses for welding?
Thanks
MArty

For a given arc length and current, arc voltage with helium is higher than with argon.  Because more heat is produced with helium than with argon, helium is more effective for welding thick materials, particularly high-conductvity metals such as copper and aluminum alloys. 

From The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding by Lincoln Electric, an excellent textbook on welding sometimes found on ebay for $5 and free shipping (I was lucky).

My answer.  Used to get deeper penetration when welding aluminum with mig or tig.  Too expensive for my use, so if needed I would go to a real welder and let him handle it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

Unless you need to extend the amperage range of your machine,  not worth the money is my understanding.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

An argon/helium mix is a nice way to TIG weld aluminum.  Can't speak to MIG, but I like it with TIG.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!