iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for a wood/plastic case for a 881

Started by Jseiple, December 13, 2021, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jseiple

Evening, 
I just recently bought a boat anchor of a saw.  I was going to order the Stihl case, but I'm second guessing it since I dislike the cheap case hinges, latches, and handles on all my other Stihls.   
   Anyone have a viable option?  Or does anyone have experience with the heavy saw and case?  
  I'm about ready to either pick up a tool box and modify or build a wooden one... I'm not looking to put gas and oil jugs in it, just something to protect the saw.   Jugs and tools will be in another box.  
  I'm usually running a 41" bar, and have ordered the better scabbard.  The one that came with the saw is a two piece that's as thick as a one use plastic bottle...the dealer ripped the entire top length of the scabbard putting it back on.   
Thanks for the insight!
-Jarrett

lxskllr

I don't think the typical ready made cases will work with that saw. If you don't require a hard case, you could use a toolbag, or soft luggage of some kind, and cut a slit in it for the bar. I did that for my top handle saw.

Jseiple

Good idea with the luggage hack...I just dislike soft cases.   All my cordless tools came in them, and I replaced with hard.   Next time I'm at Home Depot, I'll look at their larger toolboxes...and if nothing, I'll get out some marine ply and have at it until something better comes along

btulloh

Wish you were closer, I'd be glad to trade hard tool cases for soft. Personal preferences, are, well . . . personal. 

Soft seems wrong for a big saw though. My bet is that you'll need to repurpose something for that saw. I don't think there's a hard case for the big saws, unless it's a third party. It'll be interesting to see what you find for it.

If you're ever heading down towards Richmond, load up those soft cases and stop by my place.   :)
HM126

Jseiple

Wish I had known!   Im usually all over Virginia for work, and have lots of cordless tools, but have given most bags away already.   Ridgid (the brand) cases are where it's at, six years in and they are still waterproof and holding up dandy.  Was going to put the 881 in the bigger ridgid case w/wheels and slot it out for bar, but the saw is too *DanG big 😂
  Stihl makes a saw case to fit the 881, I just know me or someone else will pick it up by the intended handle and things will prob go south from there.   

Skeans1

If you're worried about packing the saw and bar why not carry it on your shoulder like we do in the PNW? No scabbard needed or box to break.

doc henderson

I put a couple sections of the bar scabbard on my 880.  when I carry it, my R hand goes on the handle, and my left trails behind cupping under the bar.  my hand is protected from the chain by the plastic scabbard, and the saw is more balanced and easy to navigate with the bar trailing somewhat behind.  no case over the engine.  I have one sitting in the corner i never use.  Stihl is better at saws, than cases.   
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

i like over the shoulder idea, as it only uses one hand.  a 5 foot bar on an 880 is a PITA.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jseiple

I carry both ways mentioned above when on site, but was just wanting something for transport/storage.  I don't know why I'm thinking of a saw case for it as I've never once thought about a case for my compound miter saws, and they are more prone/fragile to breaking when traveling from site to site, or when getting shuffled in the barn  😂.  I guess it just shows what I favor more.

sawguy21

Stihl doesn't make a case that will accept anything bigger than the consumer MS290, the lid won't close.. The hard plastic ones won't last under everyday use and the saw ends up sitting in a pool of chain oil and dirt. Most pros build a saw box that stays in the back of the truck, when it gets beat up burn it and build another. They don't want to pack the extra weight in the woods, they already have enough gear.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skeans1

Quote from: doc henderson on December 14, 2021, 01:36:25 AM
i like over the shoulder idea, as it only uses one hand.  a 5 foot bar on an 880 is a PITA.
Oh come on now if my little 130 pound butt can pack a 72 on a 3120 you can pack a 88 with a 60.

doc henderson

I am not sure my extra "fiddy pounds" contributes much to carrying the saw. :)   I do not want to shred my neck.  :o I can get it up there, but what part of me will fall on the ground when I take it off there.   :D :D :D
my other saws I carry more like I will saw; this one is carried in a better-balanced position.  

gspren

My biggest saw is my old faithful 044 which I can still start and run, if I had a 881 or similar I'd pay an Amish teenager to carry it in to the tree and get it started, I'd then say "while you got it running start cutting here".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Real1shepherd

Quote from: doc henderson on December 14, 2021, 01:36:25 AM
i like over the shoulder idea, as it only uses one hand.  a 5 foot bar on an 880 is a PITA.
And.....they make a leather patch you run your suspenders through that sits on the top of your shoulder for this routine.

With a gloved hand, this is about the most natural way to carry a big saw.

Kevin

doc henderson

when I first got the saw, I would try to carry it through my shop holding it by the handles as if I were about to cut.  it was way off balance, and a struggle making a 90° turn to get out the door.  the other way, I hold the handlebar in my R hand, and with a plastic scabbard on the bar 2/3rds the way up, reach back and support the bar (behind me) with my L hand.  In the woods I think over the shoulder would work great.

hedgerow

Years ago a buddy of mind built saw cases out of 3/4 plywood to set his big saws in and cut carpet for the bottom and when it got oil soak he replaced it. I have what I call my saw trailer. It is a old Nissan pickup box trailer with a bed liner and topper that has three windows that swing open and I carry my gas, oil, tools, air tanks and my saws set on OSB wood. When the OSB gets dirty I just throw it away and cut more to line the trailer. When I get home from a day of cutting I back it in my shop and when I have time I clean up the saws the trailer and get ready for the next time cutting.   

lxskllr

I didn't mention it, but for a hard case, spruce would be nice to use. Very lightweight, and durable enough if you use some care handling it. It would also be cool building a case out of materials you cut yourself.

Skeans1

Quote from: doc henderson on December 15, 2021, 10:23:49 AM
when I first got the saw, I would try to carry it through my shop holding it by the handles as if I were about to cut.  it was way off balance, and a struggle making a 90° turn to get out the door.  the other way, I hold the handlebar in my R hand, and with a plastic scabbard on the bar 2/3rds the way up, reach back and support the bar (behind me) with my L hand.  In the woods I think over the shoulder would work great.
Look at the suspenders I sent out to you Doc on the right shoulder you'll probably still see the mark from my bar pad. The shoulder is just the easiest way to carry any saw with any bar length it's much more comfortable as well as stable.

burdman_22

When I carry my 880 I have one hand on the handle and the other under the bar. I rarely fool with the scabbard anymore as it is such a pain to get on and off by myself, and I've never even considered getting a hard case for my saw.

I'm curious why you want a hard case for it...I know I definitely wouldn't want any extra weight to lug around, especially when I have my 84 inch bar on. And I don't think much could hurt my saw unless I dropped it 10 ft onto some concrete.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: hedgerow on December 15, 2021, 03:34:38 PM
Years ago a buddy of mind built saw cases out of 3/4 plywood to set his big saws in and cut carpet for the bottom and when it got oil soak he replaced it. I have what I call my saw trailer. It is a old Nissan pickup box trailer with a bed liner and topper that has three windows that swing open and I carry my gas, oil, tools, air tanks and my saws set on OSB wood. When the OSB gets dirty I just throw it away and cut more to line the trailer. When I get home from a day of cutting I back it in my shop and when I have time I clean up the saws the trailer and get ready for the next time cutting.  
The carpet trick works great 👍 

421Altered

Over the years for my saws I have built boxes out of 1/2" plywood with a hinged lid.  For my 20" and smaller saws, this works good as I can put the whole saw with bar attached inside out of the weather etc.  I also kept chainsaw specific tools and spare spark plugs in them too.  Unfortunately, they are heavy and bulky, so I just left the boxes in the back of my truck while using the saw.

Jseiple

Carpet trick sounds like a dandy one!   
Box will just be used to store saw in tool barn and transport in truck.   Spruce box sounds great..but it would prob be a poplar or sycamore box around here .
  I've been swamped trying to get the last of the cutting boards and beer totes etc out for Christmas orders, but that's a good thing for now because I stopped by my extremely local Stihl dealer (not where I got the saw), and he said "why didn't you just ask" and gave me a large Stihl case to try out for the month..he said "it's supposed to be a bit better design than the old ones, see if your saw fits it and if you like it, and if yes, then come pay me something for it in January."   
  He gave me a scabbard, but it's still the thin wall version, not like the one that came with my old saw cases with scrench keeper molded into the side. ..and scabbard doesn't flare out at the start to receive/mate with the saw case.

Gives me time to build a box and line it with carpet....wait...won't the saw think I'm preparing it an early funeral by doing such?  

Skeans1

In the bed of the trucks take a 2x6 minimum but a 2x10 or 2x12 and cut a couple of slots down a little ways for the bar to sit in. Some of the older fallers rigs had a board with slots ripped in them across the bed rails for the saws to ride in at an angle.

Thank You Sponsors!