iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade storage box

Started by SawyerTed, September 17, 2018, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Magic man, we are on the same wave length on that.  I've been collecting cardboard this afternoon. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

Cardboard added.  This will have to suffice for tomorrow's mobile job.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

Good luck with your new band box. I hope it works well for you.

I always load my blades in my truck as the last item in their flat box(es). I have the spare mill tire. chainsaw, leaf blower, wood blocks and jack in front. There is room for a 5 gallon gas can on one side and my big tool box on the other. When I disconnect from the mill I pull the truck forward a few feet, drop the tailgate, slide the band box out about half way till it is even with the end of the tailgate and raise one side of my box to access the blades. If I take more than one hook angle and multiple boxes I keep the one on top that I use most. I take my blades out one at a time and at the end of the day I just slide them back into the bed of my truck. This way I never really take but one blade at a time off the box/truck once loaded and the rest stay in the box in the truck for the return trip. I set the dull blades aside and load them last at the end of the job with my Logrite through them to hold them down. When I get home I put them in the Used box for storage till I get a box full to send to re-sharp. I send my blades back in one box regardless of hook angle and when returned they are marked by WM and I separate out by hook angle.

As they wear out I am replacing all my 7 & 10 degree blades with 4 degree doublehards and plan on standardizing on that one blade over time as they work best for everything for me.

In fact, I try to lay a nylon tarp down first then put my tools and bands on that then fold the top of the tarp over it all in case it rains between the time I load up and travel. I throw my mill cover on last and weight it down with tools in case I end up leaving the mill overnight and need to cover it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Managing the blade organization is one thing that hasn't come easy. It has been a mild but continuous aggravation.  It's funny how little thought sawmill manufacturers give to to it especially for mobile operations

Had the best luck loading blades last and strapping them upright in the flat box against the tailgate.  My concern became rain and managing dull blades.  

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, my boxes are always laid flat and not upright except when I am carrying them on storing them in the barn when I return home. The tarp keeps them dry during travel. 

I have talked about but have not yet built me a dry storage bin for them. I figure a couple of pegs and a couple of low wattage light bulbs would keep them dry. Once I standardize on one blade/hook angle that will be easier - just a 1X6 or 1X8 shadow box affair with 2 wood dowels on top for the double loop of the clover leaf to hang over and a couple of light fixtures for light bulbs - shielded so I don't break them every time I take a roll of bands down. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!