iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framers Workshop Question

Started by Zeke, April 22, 2005, 08:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeke

So, I've been reading "A timber Framer's Workshop" by Steve Chappell. The 24' x 36' hammerbeam cape on page 196 has me a little confused. The summer beams and the top plates aren't of equal height.  The one end of the floor joist is set into the summer beam. Where does the other end sit? If you have any clue what I'm asking I would appreciate and explination.

Thanks,
Zeke

Timber_Framer

QuoteThe summer beams and the top plates aren't of equal height. 
Do you mean "of equal length"?
If so then check on page 200 which is the second floor plan and you will see what makes hammer beams so cool. The entire area between bents #1 & #2 is open to the ceiling as is most of the area between bents #2 & #3 which I imagine would be stair case and an open to below loft space. Then the two summers which are 14'-3.5" are the support for the floor in what I would assume to be a master bedroom or two secondary bedrooms.
Check out the photos of Hammerbeam trusses on pages 116 & 117 and you'll see what I mean.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Zeke

No, I'm not talking about the hammerbeam section. I'll try to get a sketch togther to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Zeke

Zeke

The first image is of the basic bent design. I know it's not exactly correct but it should get the idea across. The second is the floor joist layout. You'll notice in the first image that the summer beams and top plates are not at the same elevation. So, how are the floor joists  supported? I hope this helps everyone understand what I'm asking.

Bent

Floor joist layout

Dan Miller

Possibly the floor joists are intended to be joined to the summer beams with mortice/tenons and simply resting on top of the plates. We did something similar in the garage we just built where the floor joists rest on top of the tie beams except around the stairwell, where they are joined to the stairwell framing with m-t

Cheers,
Dan

Jim_Rogers

During a workshop I attended at Steve Chappell's school of timber framing some of his designs were discussed. Some of them in the book have incorrect stock lists and some have parts not even listed in the stock lists. A careful review is needed.

Any plan from this book should be reviewed by an experienced timber framing engineer for sizing, loads, and joinery connections.

Steve's methods of an interrupted plate is a more modern method of timber framing. And some of the joinery needs some improvement to address the loads, if there is to be a second floor living space.

Good luck with your project.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Zeke

I'm not planning on build this structure. I was just looking at the design and became confused. I am, however, getting ready to start on a single story garage. I'll post pictures as progress actually begins.

Zeke

Jim_Rogers

Z:
Ok, but I just wanted to post a word of caution about using "book" designs.
Jim Rogers

Zeke

After seeing the lack of completeness in the drawings of this book and your comments about it. I for one would not want to build directly from the plans in this book. I am however considering building the shed in Sobon's book. Has anyone here built it?

Zeke

Dan Miller

You can see one example of the shed described in Jack's book at the Hancock Shaker Village in Hancock, Mass. I was planning to build this shed myself, until taking Jack's workshop (also at Hancock) where we built a different 14x16 Dutch-style shed. I ended up liking this one better and built one for myself right after the workshop ended. I posted a picture to the TFG bulletin board some time ago. I know Jim R. also builds the same 14x16, maybe he's also built the book shed and can comment comparatively...

Cheers,
Dan

Jim_Rogers

Zeke:
Many, many people have built the shed from Jack's book.
We are in the process now of building one. We, meaning the students at my timber framing workshops.
I modified the design a little under the direction of Dave Carlon, Jack's teaching partner.
I changed the two posts to a pair of opposing gunstock posts just for fun.
Here is a view of the drawing:

This shed has 8x8 posts, tie beams, plates and sills. Much heavier than the 14'x16' which has all 6x6 stock.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!