iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Talk About

Started by Autocar, September 07, 2013, 07:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Dead White Oak again I got a call this past week from a fellow on the Defiance Williams cty line south of Edgerton Ohio saying he had forthy dead white oak. Myself and another logger friend drove up there today and they were 16/20 inch, long bodys but bark was lose and some showed power post beetle signs. My guess some were dead more then two or three years but still would sawed nice beams. We also seen swamp white oak dead also but again only 16 inch trees. I felt bad but we can't use anything that small. There were number of trees twenty, twenty four inch but in our opinion need to stand another twenty plus years. Iam pretty sure we could of bought the bigger trees if we would of taken the dead ones, but told him by doing that the woods wouldn't live up to it's potential. And pasted on it but I told him I would make a call or two to see if theres a home for them. Sixty seven acres rolling ground reaily a nice woods brakes your heart to see groups of young white oak dead like that. I would think that Ohio Dept. Of Forestry would have someone trying to find the answer so we could try to stop it before we lose them all.
Bill

Al_Smith

FWIW about 5 years ago maybe 6 I had what appeared to be a healthy 36" plus over 100 foot white oak just up and die on the vine for no apparent reason .Why or what killed it I have no idea .It did not or at least not that  I am aware of affect the others .

mad murdock

No insect infestation ? Or other sign of physical stress before the trees dry up? Strange indeed! ::)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

I just thought of something .Also a few years back but after that white oak died there was an infestation of something that built spider web type nests on a couple other white oaks .I have no idea what it was .

I was concerned but had no idea what to do .One day completely out of the blue there must have been 500 to 1 thousand greckles land on those oaks and in the course of 3 hours there wasn't a one of whatever bug that was left .I never saw so many of those noisey birds in one flock in my life .

timberlinetree

Sad but lots of trees stressed/dying in southern New England!owner of 500 acre hunting club we work on wants me to hike in and take a look why couple pines died in his 10/15 acre old growth pine stand.sugarmaple/ash also not looking good!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Autocar

Al I figured I was up in your area Saturday the fellow remarked that last summer they had gypsies moths and with the drought figured that was the problem but Iam sure that most of them had been dead at least two years.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!