iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

darn bean counters

Started by Tracy, May 08, 2004, 07:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Why O why don't manufactors put a stainless steel stud and nut in the exhaust bosses on motors? They put a cheaper bolt in there that does nothing but get siezed with time so when you buy thier $140 muffler you can snap off all the bolts 'cause you can't soak them like a stud and nut even if it was cheaper steel. They corrode so bad you have to drill them out only to find the e-z out won't do the trick so you got get a bit and tap set up to fix it. To top it off that bolt is very tough to drill out. I might wind up pull the motor and tearing more stuff off of it so it can go to a machine shop 'cause one bolt didn't drill down the center-drill walked off the bolt. The day the people (bean counter) that do things like this have to work on thier own product things like this would change.

So what do you think about the gas prices?

Kevin_H.

Gas prices?? To high Maybe we should find someway to get more gas from beans (or bean counters) ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tracy

I like that idea. maybe the best contribution they'll (bean counters) ever make to the rest of the world.

etat

Steel and aluminum don't mix.  The bolts will seize every time.  Always use anti-seize compound on bolts going into aluminum if you want to get them out one of these days!

As an alternative to anti seize compound you can use something like Maalox of Mylanta Liquid. The power residue will keep the bolt from corroding and sticking, or one day from actually welding itself to the aluminum.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

woodmills1

The Muffler on the onan for my lt 40 is up on top, so when it needed replacement the combination of aluminum, steel, and corrosion was deadly.  Yes they broke, but left little nubbins.  I hooked up the mill and drove over to a friends whos quite handy.  He dropped a regular hex head nut over each nubbin and gave them a little heat and metal from his wire welder.  We then waited for everything to cool down.  Sure enough they spun right out.  He said heat then let cool is the secret for aluminum vs steel.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

OneWithWood

Don't blame the bean counters for what the engineers come up with! ::)

Gas prices are getting up there to where it is starting to hurt.  The dump truck gets about 4miles to the gallon, the pickup maybe eight.  The mill is sucking it down at the rate of four to five gallons a day - imagine a smiley showing his empty pockets here -
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Stan

Is this one close enough?

I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

dancan

had the same problem on a customers onan powered chipped.
ended up drilling.retaping, and then installed studs.
Gas Prices ! 96.5 cents per liter up here.

dancan

Thank You Sponsors!