iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coon hunting

Started by Wellmud, January 15, 2014, 12:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wellmud

Anyone else here on the forum coon hunt or run big game hounds?
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

clww

Used to hunt them years ago with friends of mine. Could not now with arthritis in the knees. Hard enough walking around the woods in daylight.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chain

It is strange that, in this day and time, there are more 'coon around here than ever was. Yet, I don't know if there's more than one 'coon hound in the entire county! Why?

Well, could be, as years ago some of my old timer friends wanted to invest in a 'coon hound. The asking price of the dog was around $1.200.00 over in Tennessee. The two old hunters thought about it and one said, " let's just go over to Tennessee and buy that dog!" His buddy said,"don't you think we ought to try him out first?" "Naw", said the first hunter, "any dog worth that much has gotta be good!"

Well, they went and paid $1,200.00 for the hound, that very night they took the dog out up on a river chute on the Missouri side and turned him loose. He struck right off, the hunters said, but that dog went out across the river just bawlin',  never to be seen again! The truth! :D

Miller-Thinner2

Every time I watch Where The Red Fern Grows I want to buy coon dogs and go hunting. That movie makes it looks so much fun. Plus I love to hunt anyway.

SLawyer Dave

I've killed 8 coons in my pantry that come in the cat door after the cat food....does that count?    :D

One of them was over 40 lbs.  How he fit through that small cat door I will never know.  My little 22 revolver takes care of them in one shot.

One night last summer, my dogs went off through the dog door into the pantry and then out to the back yard, howling and barking, (like a coon was out there).  I go racing out there, and am looking out the back door, and not seeing anything as they race around.  Then I happen to glance to my right side, and see wedged between the cabinet and wall, the biggest possum I have ever seen standing on its hind legs.  My thigh (and other more delicate parts), are literally six inches from its very large teeth.  So like the possum, I too freeze.  I quietly call to my wife to bring me my gun.  She knows where I keep it, but can't find it in the excitement.  So instead, she comes back and hands me a hammer......

I then wait hoping she will bring me the gun...but then the possum gets tired of waiting, and lunges out of the corner.  I don't think it was actually coming after me, but rather the dog door I was in front of, but either way, the hammer did its job on its head; and my thigh, and other parts were spared injury.  I tried to make my wife clean up the blood splatter, (as the hammer is definitely messier than the gun), but like most things we disagree about....my wife won that argument.

clww

Any pictures of that 40 pound coon?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Wellmud

Around here 20-25 pounds is a big coon, my hounds would have had to pack their lunch for that one! Make sure that your dogs and cats are up on their vaccinations if the coons are sharing their food as coons can get and spread K-9 and feline distemper.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Woodcarver

I've done some coon hunting over the years with my brother-in-laws and hounds they owned and with a couple of dogs I had.

The best tree dog I ever had was a lab/blue heeler cross we called Tick.  Didn't have a drop of hound blood.  One fall morning when I got up to go to work I heard him barking below the house.  I went out to see what all the commotion was about.  He had a coon treed in a cherry tree on the edge of the lawn.  When I left for work he still had the coon treed in the cherry.  When I came home from work about 5:30 in the afternoon, yep, there was the coon in the tree.  My wife said Tick laid on the front porch all day.  He could see the tree from the porch.  Whenever the coon tried to come down out of the tree he would run to the tree and chase it back up.  I got out the rifle and we had roast coon for Sunday dinner.

We lost our last hound, a blood hound/black and tan cross a month ago to a severe kidney infection.  She was a good dog.  Had a good nose.  Maybe too good.  She spent a lot of time running cold tracks.  Like clww arthritis is cramping my style these days.  Probably won't get another hound.  Maybe I can find another lab/blue heeler cross that will tree coon in the yard  :laugh:.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Rockn H

I coon hunted with Black and Tans for years, both pleasure and competition.   No one around here coon hunts much anymore though.   A lot of the guys I used to coon hunt with are hog hunting now and others have just quit.   I got out of it when my last good dog died, just lost interest.   I've been thinking a lot about starting back, but with curs this time.   It's not the same type of hunting with curs vs. hounds, but it makes for a faster hunt (less wallering a cold trail, you either strike a hot trail and tree or you don't.... either way you get home early :)

thecfarm

My dog got a coon cornered next to the house. It's like a 10 foot "U". I let him out at 4 am, and a few minutes later he was using his,I have something PaPA,help me, bark. I grabbed the gun and flashlight and I went to join him. I put the light on that coon and all I saw was teeth,fangs and claws and 2 eyes. I hollered at the dog and he had enough smarts to get behind me and told me,Get him PaPa. I did too. One less animal to eat my chickens. Good boy Boo-Boo.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SLawyer Dave

Quote from: clww on January 16, 2014, 06:48:08 AM
Any pictures of that 40 pound coon?

Um, know, didn't take any pics of any of them.  How do I delicately put this.  I was living within the city limits at the time....Police frown on use of handguns within the city limits.  So it did not seem a good idea to advertise the issue.   :-X

What predicated all this was that the city went in and put in new street and storm drains.  So the new fancy storm drains they put in basically created a very nice private underground highway for coons and other critters coming from the parks and creeks where they drain into.  From just after dark until sunrise, you would see these raccoons and possums crawling into and out of the drains, roaming amongst the houses and streets, looking for food.  Lets just say there was a lot to be had, and these critters grew to large proportions on all of the cat and dog food, as well as garbage they were able to scavenge.

I left them alone until they started coming in the house.  I figure if I can legally shoot a burglar that comes in my house, then I can shoot a wild animal.  The police I talked to off the record agreed with me, but at the same time indicated that it would be better if it remained "off the record".  I wonder if I should have mentioned any of this when I rented out the house?   :laugh:

Wellmud

Woodcarver, that is funny, usually labs or heelers won't tree, you could have probably passed that dog off for a black & tan/bluetick cross!
Slawyer Dave, I try to find people with problems such as yours with too many coons to live trap them and turn them loose somewhere I can run them with the dogs later. Farmers want me to get rid of them, I just don't tell them I sometimes restock them ;D

WDH

I went coon hunting, once  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Tell us about it...   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DDDfarmer

Got a coon last night.  Was trying to get in the house.  It didn't  ;D

Scary part is... we don't have native coons within 500-600km.  And it was a young'n but it won't get any older  :D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2014, 08:16:32 PMI went coon hunting, once  :).
Did you remember to put out the fire??   ???    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Went miles through the woods, blackest night, across streams, waded chest high creeks, cold, dogs would not stop, cut up with briars, could not catch all dogs, got home late.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Dogs treed a big ole coon sitting on top of a cypress knee in 4 ft deep water. Dog would swim up to the knee and brer coon would reach out and shove dog's head under water and hold it there. Few times of trying and the dogs just gave up and went off looking for a dumber coon.

Someone mentioned a big possum. Treat them with caution. Usually they will just roll over and play dead, but once in a while you will find one with some fight. They can be a handfull, their teeth can be every bit as nasty as a coon.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

possum,one was found in a garage about 20 minutes from me. Pretty soon we'll have grits in the stores too around here.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2014, 08:51:20 PM
Went miles through the woods, blackest night, across streams, waded chest high creeks, cold, dogs would not stop, cut up with briars, could not catch all dogs, got home late.

And that was soo much fun.... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Rockn H

Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2014, 08:51:20 PM

And that's why I say I don't have time to hunt hounds anymore. LOL   Some nights we'd walk for miles!   I need a good cur dog that hunts close to the Ranger and doesn't mind the music I play in said Ranger while I drive along behind him.   :D

Al_Smith

I haven't participted in a night coon hunt since I was a teenager .Even with a treed coon in the middle of the night it's  not the easiest thing to hit with a 22 rifle .

I still remember those hounds though ,what a hoot .

Wellmud

It seems as though technology has crept into every part of our lives, I run gps tracking collars on the dogs, if i don't here them for a while I will pull out the Garmin and it will show me where they are, everywhere they have been since I turned them loose, if they are running a track or treed somewhere I cant here them.  A lot of the time I hunt off of my 4 wheeler, I have a dog box rigged up on it and can usually get pretty close to where the dogs are.

curdog

I used to hunt 4-5 nights a week and went through a few hounds. I've now switched to squirrel hunting with curs. These curs don't range out near as far, usually 100 - 150 yards check in regularly and handle a lot easier then any hound I've ran before. I wish I has more time to hunt, I'm doing good to get 1-2 hunts a week. If I keep up at this pace this may be my last dogs for a while. I've got three curs, and they've got a home for the rest of their days, but if I can't find more time these will probably be it until things slow down. Luckily me and a coworker are going to take his boys out in the morning and hopefully shoot a few .

Thank You Sponsors!