iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Passing it on elk hunt

Started by iffy, January 17, 2014, 11:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

I recently got back from a late season hunt with my sons and two of my grandsons. The grandsons are 13 and 14 and drew late season elk tags. I have hunted elk every year in Colorado for the past 24 years but this is one of the most memorable hunts. We left the day after Christmas and stayed overnight with my youngest son in Tabernash, Co, then on into camp the next day. We hunt a trophy unit so bull tags are impossible, but cow tags are relatively available. The late season runs all the month of December, but due to school vacations, the last week of Dec was our only choice. We took the cabin tent to give the grandsons the full elk camp experience. One of them killed his cow the first morning and the other got his the second morning. How many 13-14 year olds from Kansas have bragging rights about a successful elk hunt?
One of the cows had poor body condition and really long hooves and dewclaws. One dewclaw was 8". The Biologist aged her at about 15 yrs and the state vet said a copper or selenium deficiency coupled with old age would explain the hooves. She tested ok for CWD, but on the biologist's advice we chose not to eat her.

terry f

Looks like fun, cold, but fun times. looks like someone is a good cook.

ellmoe

Thanks for sharing, nice pics.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

Sounds like a good hunt. too bad about that odd elk. My step son has a tent like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

I'm fortunate that my boss and his sons loves to hunt and they get me an elk and a couple deer every season, but to be able to hunt with family and do it up right like you have would be a great reason to start hunting again.
Thanks for the great pictures.

Allan

ET

Congrats to your grandsons; your one proud grampe!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

petefrom bearswamp

What a great experience.
Hope you can repeat it!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pappy19

In over 50 years of hunting, I've never seen a dew claw that looked like that. Very wierd. My wife shot a huge lead cow elk years ago and at the check station, the biologist estimate her at 18 years old. He said he had never seen an elk that old. It was down in the Riggins, Idaho area. Best eating elk ever, very fat and healthy. She was so large, we got her hide tanned and still have it.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

Oh what wonderful memories.   :)  Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

Pappy
Last herd cow I shot (2 years ago) was so tough you could hardly  cut the gravy.
Great experience tho as it was quality time with my son.
Iffy, Grandson (23 yrs old) is more interested in beer and broads at the present time.
Maybe in a couple of years I can share a similar experience with both my son and grandson.
Once again congrats on a great hunt.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pappy19

When it comes to elk, it's a real crap shoot as to how the meat will come out. My son killed a 6 point bull (western count) at the end of the rut and I suggested that he burger the whole thing. He didn't and had the butcher just do the "regular" cut with chops, roasts, steaks and burger. It was one of the best elk we ever ate and I had to eat crow all winter. I always hang my critter for a week if possible before getting it butchered. I used to do all the boning and butchering myself in my younger days, but just don't have the inclination any more. To me, elk burger is about as good as it gets, but I still add 20% beef fat and get it double wrapped. A good butcher will take off as much gamy fat as possible as that is what makes game meat gamey and doesn't last as long in the freezer.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice pictures. That center pic of the glowing tent is suitable for framing.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Wellmud

Your inside tent pictures look very much like mine, my dad, my son and myself elk hunt colorado every fall for the past 16 years usually 3rd. season. Its always a great time if we kill elk or not. It is beautiful country but sad to see all of the beetle kill pine.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

isawlogs

Memories those boys will keep forever   :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!