iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Growing

Started by 21incher, June 28, 2016, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

Way behind last year. Peas have been up a couple weeks but standing still. Spinach,  chard, radishes and stuff are up. Last year i was eating salad from the garden by now.
Together we got this !

coxy

I cant even get my garden rototilled I'm afraid to loose it in all the mud

Woodcutter_Mo

We generally put out a garden, I've gotten tired of weeds and crabgrass overtaking so this year I'm going to build a couple small raised beds and only grow a few plants. Probably just a few tomatoes, a few peppers and some basil, garlic and onions. If I do plant anything in the ground this year it'll probably just be a few zucchini squash.

On a side note, this isn't a garden but I grew a few oyster mushrooms from a indoor grow kit. Never had grown mushrooms so I thought I'd give them a try. I plan to make a few mushroom logs in the back yard later on so I can get a fair size crop.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

21incher

Quote from: coxy on May 13, 2017, 09:21:56 AM
I cant even get my garden rototilled I'm afraid to loose it in all the mud
We have the same problem here. Record rains that hopefully will let up this week.

Woodcutter_Mo I say that I am cutting back every year also, and then the seed catalogs arrive. ::) Adding more raised beds this year. You can grow a lot in a couple small beds. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Quote from: breederman on May 13, 2017, 08:41:53 AM
Way behind last year. Peas have been up a couple weeks but standing still. Spinach,  chard, radishes and stuff are up. Last year i was eating salad from the garden by now.

Very little sun to get the plants growing this year. Lets just hope we don't have another drought this summer. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

breederman

We had alot of rain again yesterday . With the full moon past we should be past the last frost ,but this year who knows ?
Together we got this !

WLC

Well, we have finally warmed up enough that I am confident that frost is over so I spent the better part of the day and evening planting in my garden Saturday.  Got about half my planting areas done before I ran out of steam.  Wish I had been able to finish up as we are getting some rain this week which is a good thing.  I can probably get the raised beds planted in between showers, but need a dry day or two so I can finish up my smaller patch in the ground.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Paul_H

We are over a month behind here because of rain.Last years garden is too soft and wet to till so I tilled a 40x50' patch on higher ground. Planted 9 rows of Floriana grain corn,6 rows of sweet sorghum ,6 rows of peanuts and a couple hills of cantaloupe and 60 hills of spuds.
In the smaller garden I planted two weeks ago, 20 beefsteak tomato plants that I started indoors on March 15th. Also a couple of rows of onion sets which should yield around 30-40 lbs.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

21incher

The spinach, peas, and lettuce are about gone. Finally got everything else started. This is very late for me due to the weather and the tomatoes are not in very good shape. Seems like every year has it's challenges.
https://youtu.be/a-BNFjb-gO0
:)

drobertson

thank you so much 21 for sharing this very nice video. I've accumulated quite a few stakes through the years of sawing, and always hated busting them with the small sledge. Now your soil is quite a bit more advanced and clearly loamier than our Ozark rocky clay, adding to the fact we moved the garden spot, not sure why, I did not argue, and it is slowly getting back to more desirable growing conditions. For now we have a very limited variety, lots of early season rain, coupled with limited mobility on my part, we have several brocs, 4 heirloom tomatoes,  okra very slow starting, but the heat has finally warmed the soil.  Now the cukes, big learning curve going on here.  These heirloom gerks,  have to be in-determinant, they are reaching for the stars, and my trellis is clearly too small.  Deer having there share of the green beans, as usual. Corn, laughable. not sure what happened.  May be time for one more late planting,  and the Japanese beetles are coming forth again.  Wishing all you guys a very successful harvest this year.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Drobertson glad to hear you are able to spend time in your garden. My old stakes got all beat up hammering them in and this is a easy way to drive them in without a ladder. Takes years to get the rocks out and build the soil in a new spot. We had record rain and a late freeze so everything is way behind here also. Still no Japanese beetles here yet, but they're my worst enemy. Good luck with your garden and post some pics from time to time.

coxy

it figures always has to be someone to rub it in on how good there garden looks  :) :)mine got drowned the day after I planted it I got 4 bean plants 2 cucumber plants 4 maters 15 peas 4 potatoes that must have got lost last year 1kail 2brocc and 3squash3zucchini that's all that came up I think next year ill plant grass and mow it and buy what I need   btw nice looking garden 21

21incher

Quote from: coxy on June 23, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
it figures always has to be someone to rub it in on how good there garden looks  :) :)mine got drowned the day after I planted it I got 4 bean plants 2 cucumber plants 4 maters 15 peas 4 potatoes that must have got lost last year 1kail 2brocc and 3squash3zucchini that's all that came up I think next year ill plant grass and mow it and buy what I need   btw nice looking garden 21
It is all about time. Some people go to work to make money, some people grow food to save money. Been a bad year up here also, but that is where the raised beds help to keep the plants from drowning.  :)

69bronco

Tough year up here also, worst looking tomato plants I've ever had!  Had to replant a lot cause of cold/wet weather. Greens are about the only thing doing well. 21, I made a post pounder like that years back. Still use it, welded handles on it and a piece of 3" shaft probably 5lbs worth. Works great on ground rods also.

sandhills

About the first of May I bought 4 tomato plants and was leaving them outside during the day, forgot one night, they got snowed on and froze, in May  :-\.  That's as far as I got so far.

drobertson

well, we are getting some heirloom gerks,, had to ditch three pints of pickles, Aunt Bee's kerosine pickles  :D!  belly laughing, well we used the Mrs, Wages mix to the letter, not sold on this recipe, we did 7 jars of the kosher mix, using half the brine mix, time will tell, we tasted before the covering and sealing, so, hopes are up.  I am now testing a  blue ribbon recipe, an old fashion style. So my post is this if any of you folks have a good brine recipe, and feel inclined to share, we will try it. I have some killer gerks on the vine,,crazy,, thanks.. david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Woodcutter_Mo

I went very small scale this year. 4 tomatoe plants, a couple Bell peppers, and a couple habanero plants. All in buckets. For the next couple years I plan to just work on the soil in the garden as I plowed it too deep a few years and pulled up some clay. The only thing I might plant in the ground this year is zucchini and a big patch of sweet basil for making pesto. I make some basil tea also from time to time also as it helps a little with asthma. Right now the garden patch is just full dandelions, lambs quarter, dock, purslane, broad leaf and narrow leaf plantain, wild mustard, red clover (wild greens that we do eat sometimes  ;D) and some crabgrass that I'd like to eliminate and never see again.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

thecfarm

Plant some cover plants,buckwheat,kinda pricey,winter rye is cheap.Clover will add nitogen to the soil.
I have a big garden,use to sell veggie. I planed on planting half and than working on the other half. Wife has strawberries now and a bunch of herbs going in half the garden.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Well everything is finally growing. I am hoping the hailstorms are over for the year and we start to see some more sun to get things growing. Been a crazy weather year so far. Hope we have a late frost so things have time to mature. Glad I got a fence up around the raised beds because I have never seen so many fearless deer as this year.  :)

drobertson I just use the brine recipe in the ball blue book and eat them all fresh at different stages of fermentation, I never had great results canning the crock pickles. For canning we just use the blue book recipes also. :)

tamarackman

We mostly grow cucumbers but a few beds are dedicated to tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, and garlic.

This year has been challenging with the cold nights and heavy rain.

21incher

Everything is starting to grow pretty good now. A couple weeks late due to a crummy spring. :)

https://youtu.be/XSggm5KX3zA

69bronco

SPDM, are the row covers for the cool nights or bugs? Do you take them off for pollination?

trapper

Can I grow lettuce under shadecloth in hot weather?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

drobertson

21, very nice layout and gardening practice, that had to come by lots of work,, our jap beetles are on the decline now finally, made the mistake of using traps for them last year, they only brought in more.  Our okra is now coming on, gerks are slowing just a bit, and I did come up with a good recipe for the gerks, both kosher and regular dill.  waiting for the few corn to fill out and tomatoes to ripen. A bonus on the maters was a volunteer cherry tomato, its making a ton of fruit.  We too use the Baker Creek Heirloom seeds, and had a great time at their spring festival this year, lots to see and some great deals on various things.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

21.....I really enjoyed that. Good video.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!