iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler engine won't start

Started by BadgerJim, May 04, 2017, 09:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerJim

I pulled my LT40 Hyd out of the shed for the first time since last fall, put in fresh gas, engine won't start after extended cranking.  Pulled spark plug and it appears dry.  This is the 29 hp ECH749 EFI engine.  Doesn't appear to have any suction pulling gas out of tank.  Not a lot of hours on this engine. I don't see a fuel pump on this engine.

Any suggestions?

Oliver05262

Put a small amount of gas right in the carburetor and try it. I usually have to do this with small engines the first startup of the season. Should be OK after the initial run.....
  Usually a few squirts of gas from a pump oiler or a small bottlecap full will be all you need to get her to snort. Might have to repeat once or twice before it will stay running.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Bluejay27

If it's the same as our '08 LT40HD (28hp), the fuel pump is mounted under the fuel tank mount, inside the cover for the up/down motor. If it's fuel injected, then it should have the electric pump. Does it run if you spray starting fluid in the intake?
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

BadgerJim

thanks for the suggestions. It is the electronic fuel injection. I have not sprayed starting fluid into the air intake nor have I put any fuel in the carb. I don't think it has a carb being EFI.

I was going to get some starter fluid, a new fuel filter and will take a look at the fuel pump tomorrow.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

carykong

pineywoods

Look at the O ring seal in the fuel line quick disconnect. O ring shrinks due to alcohol gas allowing the fuel pump to suck air instead of gas..Had this problem more than once..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

greglwood

This happened to mine about 4 months ago. It turned out to be the fuel pump. Even though it was pumping fuel it was not pumping at a high enough pressure. In my case it was fixed under warranty. I believe that engine has a 3 year warrenty.

BadgerJim

it definitely seems like a lack of fuel problem to me. Both the o-ring and the faulty fuel pump sounds like strong possibilities I'll check out in the morning.

Thank you all.

sawguy21

Leave the starting fluid for the diesel, that is one of the worst things you can do to a gas engine. A squirt of fresh gas is far better.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 04, 2017, 11:45:53 PM
Leave the starting fluid for the diesel, that is one of the worst things you can do to a gas engine. A squirt of fresh gas is far better.

I agree 100 percent...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Quote from: pineywoods on May 04, 2017, 10:46:17 PM
Look at the O ring seal in the fuel line quick disconnect. O ring shrinks due to alcohol gas allowing the fuel pump to suck air instead of gas..Had this problem more than once..

I'd bet that this is your problem!

I always keep spare O-Rings for the quick disconnect!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tacks Y

You guys running gas with alcohol????

Chuck White

Not Me!!!!    :o

I only run 91 octane!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sealark37

If you are running fuel containing ethanol, you should find a source of ethanol-free fuel.  This gas is called "recreational fuel" in some areas.  It is easily found in areas near lakes and rivers.  It cost more per gallon, but it avoids many problems caused by alcohol in your fuel system.  Ethanol has no place in engines that don't run daily.   Regards, Clark

Magicman

QuoteEthanol has no place in engines that don't run daily.
Ethanol has no place in engines/gasoline.....period.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2017, 09:46:53 AM
QuoteEthanol has no place in engines that don't run daily.
Ethanol has no place in engines/gasoline.....period.

All the more reason to saw something every day , Right?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Grandedog

Howdy,
That engine should be able to throw a code for you. You turn the key on and off twice, and then turn it back on. Red light should start flashing to give code. The owners manual should have the failure code descriptions.
Regards
Gregg 
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

dgdrls

Blasted ethanol I hate the stuff and never use it in my small engines.
I use the Marine Blue Stabil if I know the mill is gonna sit (which it has been).

I also add a little 2 stroke oil to the fuel when I'm running, just to add a little
"slippery" to the fuel. 

D

Saga Dan

Was there any solution to the problem with this engine not starting?  I am interested since I am experiencing the same type of issue with my ECH749 26.5hp engine.  Have not used it for a while...went to use it the other day and it started up like a champ and ran for a couple minutes then died.  I am guessing there was fuel in the electronic pump that allowed things to run for a little bit...    I did not have any fuel in the tank while stored and started with fresh gas now.  Engine cranks,  I have spark, can get it to run momentarily when adding 50:1 mix to the cylinders through plug hole.  Electric pump does cycle on for a couple seconds upon key turn.  Never used anything except 91 octane non-ethanol gas.  Originally checked fuel lines use to pulse pump on valve cover.  Blew gas back to tank checked tank and pickups.  Installed new filter.  Sucked gas back up to just the bottom of new filter.  Pulse pump was dry at this point, cranked and no change to fuel level in filter.  Removed pump and the diaphragm looked to be dry maybe a chance the "seal" was not functioning.  Added RTV sealant to top and bottom around exterior of diaphragm, reinstalled.  Still nothing past pulse pump at this point.  Called Woodmizer and they walked me through a few different things to try then deduced it was the pulse pump that needed to be replaced.  Continued to tinker and decided to do a little bit more "work".  Removed the fuel line coming out of the pulse pump and cranked a little bit...  At this point I was able to get fuel to spray out of this one.  I was able to fill the fuel line to the electric pump...no change to fuel level in the line when the electric fuel pump cycles.  Oh and to make things more interesting my MIL light is burned out (new one should be here Monday) so it is difficult to know if there are any trouble codes being thrown.  Any suggestions or resolutions.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

Kbeitz

Any time I get an engine with a gas problem I fill an old oil pump can with gas.
I pump gas in the carb when cranking. Then you can keep pumping the oil can
to keep the engine running until the gas  gets up to the carb. If everything's 
working it will sooner or later run on it's own.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Does this particular engine have the code light on it?
It it does it will help you determine your problem.

If the code light tells you the problem and you order the part and replace it, the computer will have to be reset for the engine to run properly.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Saga Dan

The engine is fuel injected so I would have a bit of trouble finding the carburetor to squirt gas into...

Engine does have a light but it is currently burned out...  New on should be be here Monday.  That should help quite a bit, I hope.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

Savannahdan

I had a problem with a Kohler engines solenoid having crud on it last year and wouldn't start.  Had to track things all the way from the gas tank to the solenoid and after cleaning it the thing ran like a top.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

sawguy21

Carb or fuel injection, it still has an air intake. Another member had an elusive no start, turned out to be the throttle position sensor as I recall but I don't know how to test it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!