iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved:  White leaf Manzanita

Started by swampwhiteoak, March 22, 2002, 03:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

We need some new threads in here.  No leaves out in my neck of the woods yet so I'll pull one out of the photo album.  FrankPender and Tillaway should get this one.

swampwhiteoak

Tillaway

My place is covered with it.  No contest.  Frank should get it but it doesn't grow up around him unless it planted as an ornamental.  By the way I was thinking about posting a picture of it in bloom.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

Hey it aint clear enough for me. I was going to guess eucaliptus. dunno why, and I would think that aint even native to anywhere sept keewee land or australia?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bud Man

Looks like the neighborhood fire plug for 4 legged wandering domesticated critters, looks well used and in a state of distress.  Ain't big enough for fire wood and looks like it might be a result of previous  High-Grading resulting in epicormick branching and poor quality future veneer usage. Am I getting Hot or Cold  :o
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Frank_Pender

I raise that kind of stuff here of the honey that the bees produce for me.  ;) It looks like good ol' Poison Oak. 8) 8)  I make canes out of the larger pieces that twine around some of my trees.  I can get a beautiful walking stick or a can in about three to 5 years. I usually give them away at Christmas to the better of my friends. :D :D
Frank Pender

Tillaway

I think it's one of these.  This happens to be some old growth I have.  Green Leaf Manzanita I have pictured.  SWO has White Leaf Manzanita near as I can tell.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

swampwhiteoak

Tillaway is correctaway.  I didn't know the exact species this was growing near North Fork CA.  If you look at the picture close you can tell the area has been burnt.  As our crew brushed some clearings there were many DanG's to be heard.  Sticky, hard, nasty stuff.  For you eastern guys growth form is similiar to a rhododendron - real thick.

I got a tree cookie from one (cross section piece) no more than 4 inches around and over 100 growth rings.  At least I think so, it is real tight and hard to tell.   

L. Wakefield

In one of my more lunatic moments I tried to transplant manzanita from the Arizona highlands to Maine. It did NOT take. Those things have an insane root system. I think it's really all one big bush.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Say LW  With all yourn sper mentin  You tweren't the one sponsible for turning those English Starlings aloose at that Shakespeare play in New York a while back were ya  :'(  ??    Now that we got  a picture of ya,  I gonna forward a copy to immigration case ya ever leave's the US and try to bring back in yer bags any of that Kudzu type stuff  :o  or maybe some feren Conifer branches for that still you got hid away in yer cellar :o
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

L. Wakefield

Kudzu I can get down Tom's way.. I did hear it may have something in it good to treat alcoholism (I think that was it..- I was surprised to hear there was any good to it..)

No, if I did any importing I'd want it to be legal. I'm too old to mess around with the wrong side of the law. I like to sleep at night.

There is a plant in Nepal and India that I'd love to be able to import legally, cuz I'd bet it would grow in my zone, and it's an endangered species in its native area and also a source of some very fine essential oil. Spikenard- you know, the stuff they talk about in the Bible? Nardostachys jatamansi. You can buy the oil, you can buy the dried root. I've come up with zip for info on licensed plant importers or permitting process. But I certainly don't have it high on my list.

There's another root that they have managed to import and it does fairly well for erosion control, and is a good source of another essential oil. That's vetivert- Vetivera zizanoides. I forget where they managed to grow it- Arkansas or somewhere in the midwest. Not as far north as here. it's African originally.

I wish there were a good use for all this pampas grass and Sudan grass. it grows very well and looks nice- but what I've read, it's too high in toxins for cattle.

I like useful plants. I can't say much good for starlings, although I do have a sneaking kind of like for if there is a huge flock of birds and they all make the same flight move at the same time. You got to admit that's awesome.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Keep on experimenting, most folks Eden is defined by someone else and not very exciting.  I sometimes find my self at the mall and don't know why I went there, but talk about Diversity-wow !! :o   As far as past importing neither of us would be able to play with Honey Bees had someone not brought them to the New World, but I don't have any yearning to work the African Strain, and these mites are difficult to stay ahead of and are a nusiance.  I think everything can be used , were just not smart enough or haven"t applied our selves to the task.  We all need to set aside some to let the creative juices flow.  :P   8)

Thank You Sponsors!