iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"MagSwitch" feather boards??

Started by Warbird, August 07, 2009, 10:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

I just read about this product called a MagSwitch feather board.  I am not affiliated with them nor have anything to do with them, I just want some more info.  Any of you guys use these things?  You can google for their main site.  Basically, they have these feather boards with strong magnets in them.  You turn a knob to 'activate' the magnets, thereby clamping it to your saws tabletop and it helps keep the piece you are cutting up against the fence.

My main question is, do they work?  Or is it just another gizmo that gets in the way?

Modat22

they work wonderfully and are fast. You should keep a standard feather board and clamp around if cutting in a way you shouldn't....... ;D.

Also the magnet featherboard can be placed on the back side of your fence on its long side to stop any fence flex.

I also recommend the switch magnet inserts you can buy from lee valley. They work very well in homemade jigs.
remember man that thy are dust.

metalspinner

I've seen those and they do look handy.  Another idea to develope with that magnet idea is a resaw fence for the bandsaw. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

Warbird, I have a set and I really like them a lot.  Fast, easy, and the magnets are strong.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Warbird

Thanks guys.  Scott, which ones did you get?  There are 3 or 4 different shapes.

scsmith42

Warbird, I got the combo kit, so that I could use it on multiple machines (tablesaw, bandsaw, shaper), and I liked having the taller "fence" so to speak versus the typical short featherboard..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magfence-Combo-Kit/T21143

I got it for less than the current price, because it was part of a larger order.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Warbird

Nice.  Thanks again for the info.

Modat22

Ya know I'm not sure what the make is on the ones I have but they look like a plastic orange featherboard with 2 magswitchs in there. I'm thinking they cost me around 30.00 each.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!