iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board foot calculator

Started by Norm, November 02, 2003, 12:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I got some white oak to cut up so I thought I'd check to see how accurate the board foot calculator is.

This log is 10' long and 22" on the small end. The calculator says 209 bd ft. When we got done I did a rough measurement and we got 230 with some waste as we q-sawed it.

Patty was using the flash to take a couple of pics. I didn't know she was behind me so when the flash went off I thought something electrical had blown out on the mill. I asked her very nicely to not do that again. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

DanG Norm, is that yer holler weenie costume ??? ::) ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Intenational is more accurate In my opinion for actual estimation. The calculator says 221 for international. Thats pretty durn close.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

I look good don't I Fla_D,  :D  it was cold and rainy and I have not gotten used to this weather yet so I just pile on the clothes. Don't really care what I look like as Patty's the only one that has to look at me and she quit worrying about how I look quite a few years ago.

I noticed you didn't say anything about how she looked in the other photo. Shows that you have been married for quite a few years yourself. ;D

I was curious to see how we come out buying logs and what we actually get out of a log in lumber. Around here they scale in Scribner. I was hoping with a bandmill to get a 10% over run. Looks like we're close.

solidwoods

Of course we all know it dosen't matter that we actually get more than the stick scales.  The buyer is not getting a bonus.
The whole process is done buyer/sell with the excess.
As long as we all use the same measuring sys, no one has any advantages (except for thin kerf 8) :D)
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!