iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm tractor grabbles

Started by D._Frederick, March 29, 2005, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Has anyone any thoughts or experience in using grabbles for logging that hook to the 3 point hitch of a farm tractor. Baileys are handling this type grabble and am wondering how good they work? It would seem to me that there would be problems in turning since the front end of the tractor would have weight taken off.

Murf

They work great, the problem is what you hook em' to doesn't always work so well.

If ya' got a biiiiiiiig tractor they work fine. A neighbour of ours has one on a little 20hp Chinese tractor. It makes good wheelies with even cord wood out back.

It likes the back of my 45hp Kubota a whole bunch more, I might try to buy it from him, but they seem spendy, I will probably just build my own.

Besdies, there's no cutting or welding involved in buying, that's the fun part.   8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

beenthere

D_Fred
You do need to counterbalance the front end, as well as steer with the rear wheel brakes (and be aware of keeping the front end close at least close to the ground, and not pointing straight up  ;D  ).

Grapples tend to weigh a lot, in and of themselves, which reduces the load that you can carry. There may be other options better for you, if the tractor is on the small side. Several ways have been discussed off and on in this forum, and a search might give you a lot of the information you are looking for, as well.

I use just a set of logging tongs, and make a trip for one or two logs at a time. Works good for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BW_Williams

I rigged one up to Harriet ('54 To-35) and it worked great for a pole sale we worked.  I'll take some pics next time I got it on.  Needs a little refinement, but so does about everything I build :D

Here's the grapple and rotator I bought

http://www.valbysales.com/newpage111.htm

Don't use the rotator for behind the tractor, that's for another project I got started (among others.....)
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Frank_Pender

Don, I thought you saw the one I built.  In addition to the grapple, I inclulded sa winch of of a duce and a half as part of the unit.   On the first logging job I  set only one chocker in ten truckloads. 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!