iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lets see your rig

Started by D2 Cody, August 17, 2016, 07:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D2 Cody

Hi guys, we are in the process of reorganizing my pickup we use for work. Trying to find a good way to go about this and thought there are probably a few more guys who are or have gone through this before to, and little tricks and tips anyone has that can help someone else would be great. We are trying to find space for toolboxes, fuel tank, Saw rack, Joe box, and etc in the box. Also putting in new work radio and worklights and headache rack. There are a few more things also but to many to write entire list. Also anything else anybody can think of to carry in or on a truck would be great. So guys let's see your rig.   8)
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

Spartan

Here's my Bute!

Honestly ain't much to it, which is the way I like it.   I know its not what you are looking for, but I though I would post it anyways.  My saws stay up at the job.  I just need to bring fuel with something.  So I have a transfer tank and a small tool box with some tools.  In winter, my arsenal grows to 4 tire chains and a shovel and a recovery chain.  That's it.
20 mpg and flies on the dirt, and I don't care if a tree goes through the door.

We have a service truck up there that has everything we need... usually.
It really sucks carting everything back and forth, been there done that.

danbuendgen

But anyways, My work truck and daily driver (in my signature) is a 4 door 03 Dodge 3500, single rear wheels, with an aluminum service body. I keep a transfer tank in the bed. And tools and saws in the body. Works well. All the room I need for fuel, oil, saws and a saw fuel, tools and whatever. Plus with the service body all the tool boxes can get locked up when I'm in town or whatever. With the Cummins motor with exhaust brake, 5 speed standard shift, screaming straight pipe, and I get 20+ mpg reliably in the summer. And 17-18 in the winter depending on how much idle time it has. All mpg is hand calculated. Not bad for 9,500 pound truck. Nearly 200,000 miles and still going strong. I'm planning on keeping it until its ready for the junk yard... Its fun to drive with the manual and I have a tuner for it, so it GOES well, fast for a heavy pickup with a standard.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

millcreek40

You are not alone on not being able to post pictures. There has to be a eaiser way!!!
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

danbuendgen

Quote from: millcreek40 on August 17, 2016, 09:29:26 PM
You are not alone on not being able to post pictures. There has to be a eaiser way!!!

Been screwing around for a hour and finally got it!

coxy

its not hard my 9 year old does it for me  :) :) :D

Plankton

Photo of the rig, bought with the green color been meaning to paint it white for two years now..
7.3 with a 5 speed behind it gets good mileage even though theres almost 1500lbs of added weight all the time. 330,000 and still running great

I try to keep the bed fairly organized Like this:

But it ussually ends up like this:

I want to put a 10 ft flatbed on with side toolboxes as the besides because currently all the tools go in the toolbox in the bed and various small toolboxes in the back cab. There are no seats in the back cab just toolboxes and rain clothing extra boots, and miscellaneous stuff etc. But having the four doors is so nice for that added space. I've always had any tool I've needed for minor to major breakdowns.

danbuendgen

Quote from: Plankton on August 18, 2016, 09:58:09 AM
There are no seats in the back cab just toolboxes and rain clothing extra boots, and miscellaneous stuff etc. But having the four doors is so nice for that added space.

The back of my cab is the same way. Rain gear, extra boots, flip flops for after work in summer, a change of pants, socks, and a shirt, rags, tools, a sometimes a dog. I try to keep the back of the cab relatively clean. But I gave up and I clean it out once a month. 4 doors is a blessing and a curse!

Bruno of NH

Do they make any new one ton trucks with manual shift any more ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

danbuendgen

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 18, 2016, 07:59:21 PM
Do they make any new one ton trucks with manual shift any more ?

If you buy a new Dodge with the Cummins you can get a 6 speed manual shift still. Ford and GM, Nope.

Bruno of NH

I plowed snow in retail parking lots for 20 years first with a Ford 7.3 manual shift then Ford 460 gas manual shift all dual rear wheels .
My left knee joint went first :)
But I could push large piles of snow
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

coxy

Plankton  don't change the color I like it  ;D my daughter wants me to paint my next work truck lime green  ::) :-\

danbuendgen

Quote from: coxy on August 18, 2016, 09:22:45 PM
Plankton  don't change the color I like it  ;D my daughter wants me to paint my next work truck lime green  ::) :-\

I also like the color.
I want to paint my 240 and Rottne that color with flat black trim.

BurkettvilleBob

Plankton, what's good mileage? I've got the same truck and get maybe 15. Perhaps 16 with a strong tailwind. I run 35s in the summer 32 in the winter, no difference. I've got a cheap 6 position chip, 4" turbo back and air intake and most of the time try to be easy on it, only 270,000 though.

danbuendgen

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on August 19, 2016, 09:46:07 AM
Plankton, what's good mileage? I've got the same truck and get maybe 15. Perhaps 16 with a strong tailwind.

I have a buddy with a 7.3 and he just gets 13 mpg. And that's with a high running gear and a 5 speed manual too. So if you get 15 I'd say your going well. The only diesel in a pickup that seems to get decent power and mileage is a Cummins. I have had Ford, GM, and Dodge, all my Dodges got assume MPG. The Ford and GM diesels were not much better then a gas job.

Puffergas

I got just under 20 mpg with the 353T, if I remember correctly. That was without the trailer. Had a 5 speed, 5th being OD.

Or maybe a bit under 20 with the 353 and about 22 mpg with the 353T.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

danbuendgen

Puffergas, That's a cool truck. I like how its got the 353. Detroit 2 stroke is very fuel efficient. I can run my 240 TJ all day and burn only 8-10 gallons of fuel. Is it slow with the Detroit? I bet its loud. I always wanted to put a 453T in a jeep or small truck.

Bruno of NH

Puffer
That's a cool truck was that a factory option or some thing you put in it ?

Ed_K

That is one kool truck  8) .
Ed K

Puffergas

Quote from: danbuendgen on August 19, 2016, 06:24:49 PM
Puffergas, That's a cool truck. I like how its got the 353. Detroit 2 stroke is very fuel efficient. I can run my 240 TJ all day and burn only 8-10 gallons of fuel. Is it slow with the Detroit? I bet its loud. I always wanted to put a 453T in a jeep or small truck.

The 353 was too loud. The 353T was just right. To really pull a trailer a 453T would do better. But at that time I wasn't pulling much. It was about the same speed as the gas 345. The 2 cycle helped to phase out the gas engines in big trucks because RPM and maybe power curves were about the same. But when I did the engine swap I also put the OD school bus transmission in.

I was a young man at the time. Maybe 29 or early 30's. Also had air suspension front and back. The rear was more helper style. It moved a lot of lumber and even logs in it's day. I drove the truck for 20 years in various forms but it's long gone. It also ran on wood in the early 80's. Maybe, someday, I'll find an old Dodge M37

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Puffergas

Thanks for all the kind words..!! It was always a blast hitting the starter button. Not to mention tooling down the road.
Jeff

BurkettvilleBob

That is a sweet rig, pretty rare to anything of that vintage in Maine that isn't rusted out, unless if course it's been restored. You mentioned rpms being similar to gas engine, what does a Detroit normally turn to make good power?

danbuendgen

I feel like (at least in my skidder) its got a chainsaw type power band. WIDE OPEN or close too it for good power.

Maine logger88

Most 53 series were governed around 2800 rpm I believe. Some turned them up to 3000 3200. I've always wanted to set mine up at 3000 they say they work better there
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Plankton

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on August 19, 2016, 09:46:07 AM
Plankton, what's good mileage? I've got the same truck and get maybe 15. Perhaps 16 with a strong tailwind. I run 35s in the summer 32 in the winter, no difference. I've got a cheap 6 position chip, 4" turbo back and air intake and most of the time try to be easy on it, only 270,000 though.

I get 16 to 18 unloaded and 14 to 16 normally. I've got 37s with 410 gearing, 6pos chip, intake 3 inch down 4 inch exhaust. I always run it on position one on the chip.

The larger tires bring down the rpms for the same speeds alot. I also just drive on 30-50 mpg country rds and don't try to win any races.

Puffergas

I kind of remember the 353's that turned 3200 where powering a compressor or something like that. Seems like they needed a special cam shaft or something. Too long ago in a past life.....
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!