iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame raising strategy

Started by srjones, September 21, 2005, 06:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srjones

Hi again,

As I mentioned on my last post, I've been working at this a while and now I think I'm on the home stretch as far as finishing the frame and raising it.  However, I'm still somewhat unsure about the strategy I should use the raise the frame. 

If you look link for the site photo (taken 10/2004), you'll see that my building site is fairly flat so I have room to go at it from just about any direction.  Then, if you see the other model photos, you'll see that frame is really a "Cape" in the center with wings on the side.  Both the center cape and the wings have what could be described as a 'mid-span plate' where the rafters will rest.

I'm looking for some advice as to the best way to raise the frame with a minimal amount of acrobatic joinery  ;)

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve

Site view (200KB)
http://www.srjones.net/images/frameviews/view.jpg
http://www.srjones.net/images/frameviews/view1.jpg
http://www.srjones.net/images/frameviews/view2.jpg
http://www.srjones.net/images/frameviews/view3.jpg
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Jim_Rogers

Steve:
Are you using any valley rafters?
How are you spanning the distance from one roof to the other?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

srjones

Jim, Thanks for asking.

I'm not completely sure I understand the question, but here's some more info that might help.  The dormers (on the sides) will be fabricated as part of the SIP package.    The span between the center and the sides will be framed from 2x lumber as a blind valley or California valley.

I know the rafters will need to be raised and placed with a boom truck or crain.  What I'm struggling with now, is whether or not to raise entire bents, or to raise smaller sections and then put the plates on top of the posts and braces.

-Steve

JoeyLowe

srjones:

In my humble opinion, if you are using a boom truck or flat deck, I would raise the frame in smaller sections.  You can assemble an entire bent on the ground and raise it but you risk damaging the joinery if you aren't careful.  Personally, I would assemble the lower bent and tilt it up, then raise the plate and put it in place and then lift the rafters/purlins/etc.  Good luck and send more photos.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jim_Rogers

First of all, your center section shows four posts, with an interupted tie beam.
How is this tie beam connected to the center posts? with splines or through tenons?
If you were to try and lift the four posted bent then there will need to be some stiff backs placed over these tie beams from one side of the center post to the other, to prevent the joint from breaking.
You designer should have discussed erection problems and a erection plan should have been developed all along as the design evolved.

I understand about the sip dormers, that's a normal thing.
But combining stick building and timber framing needs close attention as the rates of shrinkage varies a great deal and the movement of the roof could show this.

You may have to raise smaller sections or do "piece on piece" depending on whether or not your using a crane for the entire frame or just the roof.
One way to determine this is cost, another way is load, how much will an entire bent weight? Will you be able to lift it without a crane?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

srjones

Thanks for the responses.

I've been thinking about shrinkage in almost every aspect of this frame....except for where the blind valleys.  Thanks for pointing that out!

The frame isn't exactly standard and I admit it's challenge.  About the only thing as far as simplicity is that it's nearly exactly symetrical.

To answer your question about the center posts:  splines.   And given the fact that the those posts in the center are rather large (10x10x20') and that my crew is extremely limited (me and a few buddies when they have time),  I'm leaning toward using a crane for most aspects of the raising--small sections at a time.

About the frame design...ahhh, that's a long story.  A LONG story.   Let's just say that the party that designed the frame and house is a different party than the one who detailed the frame, who is a different party from the one who engineered the frame, which is different from the one who drew up the panels which were based on parties 1,2 and 3.  Had I to do it over again,  I'd have as much of it as possible done at the same place--design, details, engineering and panels.  It would have probably saved some money but a lot of headaches.   But then again, my next TF project is going to to much smaller in scope and that all-in-one designer will be me.   Come to think of it, I'd probably do a lot of things differently, but I'll save that for another post.
:D

-srj

Thank You Sponsors!