iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Japanese Barberry puller

Started by chuck172, February 17, 2012, 07:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck172

Does anyone have any ideas on making some type of clamp that can easily be locked around a Japanese barberry plant and yanked with a winch or loader?
I'm thinking something made out of angle iron, that would tighten as pulling pressure is exerted like logging tongs.

bodagocreek2

I use a 1 inch nylon strap/also a 5/16 chain with a slip hook.  Either one works good.

Maine372

Taylortractornut

I have a puller I make out of a section of 2.5 inch pipe 7 inches long.    I have a 12 inch length of  a good grade chain with one end welded a few inches from the end of the pipe.      I just stick the end of the pipe with the chain  at hte base of the tree and  feed the chain through.   THen  use a chain attached to your machine or winch with a grab hook.  This simple device will pull without slipping at all. The harder you pull the more the open pipe end will dig in.
My overload permit starts after sunset

chuck172

That's what I've been looking for Taylortractornut, thanks.

chuck172

I made the puller like you said Taylortractornut. I've got to say it really works great. Simple, and strong. Thanks again.

Taylortractornut

THe first time I saw one I was amazed,  For additional help you can get an old 22.5  or similar truck rim and lay  under the pull chain and it will help pull up to.       I pulled up a red oak a few inches across one time the pipe dug in too much and had to be hammered out. 

thecfarm

Taylortractornut,got a picture of it,in action too? I just use a chain and take 3,4,5 wraps around the tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Taylortractornut

I lost/loned mine,   I will make  another one this week as  we have a wad of  bushes to pull out too close  that I cant get with the hoe.        This saves all the wrapping.   

thecfarm

Yes,I can see how it would work easier,faster.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!