iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440 skidder

Started by Timbercruiser, April 30, 2012, 12:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

What model of 440 JD skidder is worth buying ? I know it has several Letter codes and some are hard to get parts for. Anyone have any good advice ?? I dont want to buy one and not be able to get parts for it. Thanks for any info will help.

mobile demensia

My family has a 440c that has been great. Must run good fuel addative as the rotory pumps are not so great. Parts for john deere are expensive out here on the left coast, you can only get them through Brant. We did not try getting parts online.
MD
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

grassfed

The 440 440A and 440B are all similar.The 440B is the best of that group. The 440C and D have a much different frame and motor. They are also almost twice as expensive on average as 440-A,B . You can get parts but sometimes you may have to buy used parts. I have been able to get parts for my 440B when needed but I did buy a parts Machine for $5K just to make sure .
Mike

lumberjack48

I would only buy a stick shift, i seen a few guys go down, power shift would go out. They didn't have the money to fix it, 4 to 7 k, lots of money for a one horse operation.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Timbercruiser

Are these machines all powershift trannys ?? or what models are standard shift

lumberjack48

No, i knew a guy that had a JD standard tran, this was about 28 yrs ago. I don't remember the number on it, i know it was a 440, sweet little skidder with the stick shift.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mobile demensia

the 440c we have is a standard tranny.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

Bobus2003

Theirs the Powershift, and the Syncro-Range in the 440's.

Timbercruiser

Sycro range I take it is a regular type standard shift I guess ???

Bobus2003

Quote from: Timbercruiser on May 01, 2012, 12:01:35 AM
Sycro range I take it is a regular type standard shift I guess ???

You would be correct.. its what I have in my '69 440

redprospector

Yep, I've got a syncro shift in my 73 440b.
It's a pretty nice little skidder, real easy on fuel. You can spend a lot of money on parts real quick though. But that can be said for most of my stuff.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

justincase

I have an 84 440d. Standard shift been a good little skidder.

grassfed

Sycro range was in a lot of JD tractors too. It has a synchronized hi lo range shifter that splits the 4 gears on the other shifter. You can shift the high low on the fly but you need to stop to change between the 4 main gears. It is kind of backwards compared to many tractors.
Mike

Ironwood

Well, I like the 440's and two buddies own them. One has an "A" and lost his engine at a motor shop that was going to rebuild it. We have two options (I bought a 1/2 interest in it), one is to get an adapter and put a Cummins 5.9 I have here, (also have a JD 3 cylinder little brother to the 4 here, likely too small HP), OR part it out. I have driven it before he lost the engine. Everything else functioned fine, Tranny, winch, diff's........It has two new forestry tires on it.

Any thoughts on the Cummins?

Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Okrafarmer

Cummins is a good engine, but I don't know what to tell you about the swapping details. What do you mean he lost his engine? Did it get stolen? Busted? Burned?

Deere's transmissions are good quality, as long as they have not been abused. Problem is with a machine that old, you don't know what's happened to it before you bought it.

My friends in upstate New York have a 1970 JD 4020 farm tractor, with the 404 6-cyl engine (94 +/- hp), and the 8-speed powershift trans. They bought it new, and have used it continually. I forget how many hours they said it has, but well over 10,000, maybe closer to 20,000. They have been faithful with their preventive maintenance over the years (on all their stuff), and have been rewarded with more than 40 years of constant service on the 4020. It has never had either the engine or the transmission overhauled. It functions flawlessly. When I visit them from time to time, it is one of my favorites in their stable to drive. They use it daily on the mixing wagon now, putting 2-3 hours a day on it (1,000 or so hours a year). They've probably had to replace the clutch, and do some other repairs, but 40 years hard work without engine, transmission or rear end failure or overhaul is very impressive in my book.

Meanwhile, they've had a couple of big Farmalls that they have had some serious failures on, in that time.

I've had multiple people tell me that Deere's PS transmissions actually are more reliable than the syncro-shifts, or the later quad-range 16-speeds that became available in 1972 and standard in 1978 in the big farm tractors.

They are definitely far easier to use, and much safer to use on hills.

The synchro is not a terrible transmission, but it is a bit of a bear to shift sometimes. The one advantage is that it is easier for the average mechanic to fix, and possibly cheaper parts.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redprospector

Quote from: Ironwood on November 17, 2012, 08:35:37 PM
Well, I like the 440's and two buddies own them. One has an "A" and lost his engine at a motor shop that was going to rebuild it. We have two options (I bought a 1/2 interest in it), one is to get an adapter and put a Cummins 5.9 I have here, (also have a JD 3 cylinder little brother to the 4 here, likely too small HP), OR part it out. I have driven it before he lost the engine. Everything else functioned fine, Tranny, winch, diff's........It has two new forestry tires on it.

Ironwood
That 5.9 Cummins is going to be pushing 200 horse power. I'm a little concerned that would gut the differental's or the tranny, or both. The 5.9 is in high demand, you should be able to sell it and buy a 4bt Cummins (3.9), tune it down to about 80 horse power. Now you've got a good replacement for the 70 horse power JD that came up missing.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Okrafarmer

Yes, you don't want to overpower it too much. That's asking for trouble.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

redprospector

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 17, 2012, 09:06:48 PM

The synchro is not a terrible transmission, but it is a bit of a bear to shift sometimes. The one advantage is that it is easier for the average mechanic to fix, and possibly cheaper parts.

The synchro shift is a long way's from a terrible transmission. It's like any other transmission. You have to keep the linkage right, and you have to learn how to use it. I've got a synchro in my 440b, and a PS in my 450b. I honestly can't say that I prefer one over the other.

Andy

Okrafarmer

I definitely prefer the PS for farm tractors. I have driven several different JD tractors with both transmissions (2510, 3020, 4010, 4020, 4320) and I have a definite preference for the PS. They cost more when they were new (and consequently, the used ones sometimes cost more too). On hillsides, being able to downshift without losing continuity of power is important. Any time you put in a clutch pedal, you are interrupting power from the engine to the wheels, which you do not do, if you simply bump the powershift lever without clutching. Put in a clutch pedal going down hill, and you speed up, making it even harder to jam a synchro transmission into a lower gear. That is why it is safer.

Ironwood

Thanks, yeah after posting this I thought DUH, WAY long and too much power.

I grew up working on a dairy/seed farm with a 4020,....nice machines. I think they still have that tractor.

Thanks for the input, we're trying to decide which way to go on this. My buddy and co-owner had this skidder for years and used it all the time, nothing else of it's mechaincals is in question. Yes, the motor was sold out from under him at the shop (a long story about "owed" money and faulty mechanical work done on his trucks COULD follow, suffice it to say, the motor IS gone)

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

redprospector

Yeah, when you get in a situation like that it's best to treat the gone engine like water under the bridge.
Oh sure, it's fun to raise cain and maybe get even. But these days you'd just wind up in jail, and what good would that do you?
Did that sound like I learned that from experience?  :D

Andy

thenorthman

My recently acquired 440A has a new motor out of a genset.  If you keep yer eyes peeled on elame and c's list, you might find what your looking for.  The gensets run a little higher rpm's though.  Having a motor sold/stolen by a shop is bad news, good luck finding a replacement.
well that didn't work

thenorthman

And the "syncro range" is Deere's way of making a clever name for a funny manual transmission, still has a clutch that you have to use between gears (hi-low-reverse) but you got 4 "ranges" to choose from, its a little strange at first but seems like it'll work out.
well that didn't work

Rob-IL

Dad bought a new 440B in late 71 or early 72 for $15.000, it was a great little skidder. I myself went on to become a heavy equipment mechanic and worked on several skidders from 1975 - 1986. The weak link to the JD Syncro Range is the top shaft, with the syncroniser (sp) design it has it wont take much abuse, especially running the wrong oil. I've even seen guys try running ATF in them and then wonder why they failed. LoL The 440s have a great braking system designed with a disk & pads at the back of the transmission, because of this the rear differental has to be solid meaning the axels are connected solid together with no spider gears. If it had spider gears it would tend to have the wheels spin differnt directions during heavy winching and not hold its ground very well. I went back into logging in 1987 with a 1976 440B and at times whish I still had it (now use a 540B Deere & 240A Timberjack) but I still work on equipment in what spare time I have. There are many 440s that are going from one generation of logger onto the next!! In my opinion the 440s are great little skidders that are extremely fuel friendly and with good maintaince will give many years of service. 
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Okrafarmer

If they had just put individual wheel brakes on it, they could have given it a differential. Oh well. We've already talked about the lack of 440 differential in another thread. Evidently, the lack of differential hasn't been a serious issue or people would be complaining about breaking the driveline.

Rob-IL

I just looked at my Deere 440 manuals and they (John Deere) call it the Rear Axle Differential. Even though there is a axle coupler (R37435) it's still aknowledged by Deere as the rear axle differential. I never said it was a bad thing as it works great with a small skidder on 18.4 x 26 rubber.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Bobus2003

Quote from: Ironwood on November 17, 2012, 08:35:37 PM

Ironwood

Will the 5.9l even fit? Thats a pretty good sized engine, and heavy too.. I wouldn't be overly concerned about being "over powered" My 440 is handling 130hp without any major breaks.. just shows you the weak parts in a hurry, and for my not so great tires, my lack of traction (Does good with chains on).

Ford_man

I would check out | AbileneMachine.com  or

www.worthingtonagparts.com/implement.htm
You can get a used engine the same model that you need and can be up and running in about a day. splitwood_smiley

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Rob-IL on November 18, 2012, 08:50:02 AM
I just looked at my Deere 440 manuals and they (John Deere) call it the Rear Axle Differential. Even though there is a axle coupler (R37435) it's still aknowledged by Deere as the rear axle differential. I never said it was a bad thing as it works great with a small skidder on 18.4 x 26 rubber.

I'm not sure, the later models may have had a differential. The 440, 440A, and 440B, definitely had a solid rear axle (well, it may have been made in two pieces, but if so, was coupled solidly). On another thread we were discussing it. If you go on John Deere's industrial website, they give specs for "some" former models, and some of the early 440's are on there. They specifically say there is no rear differential.

beenthere

JDParts listing shows a "fixed differential" as an option in the models 440, 440A, 440B.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rob-IL

The earlier 440s (440, 440A & 440B) were available with both Syncro Range or Power Shift. The P.S. ones had true differentials in front & rear. The Synro Range had a true differential in the front with the locked differential in the rear. Technically a locked differential can't really be called a differential but often is, even by Deere or at least they call it that in the J.D. 440 manuals I have. I've never seen a P.S. in a 440C or 440D. The 440Ds Ive seen seem to be identicial to a 540B or 540D but with a Synro Range transmission.   

thenorthman

The power shift a-b's had the full diff in front and rear with hydraulic lockers, the syncro had a "locked" rear and a lockable front diff, same axles and allot of the same parts, different tranny, and the power squish had brakes at all four wheels.  The C models and later are just different,

I was under the impression that a 540 was just a 440 with a bigger engine?  So it wouldn't be to far of a jump to say that a 440 could handle a bit more power, say 80-110 horseys
well that didn't work

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thenorthman on November 18, 2012, 06:36:12 PM
I was under the impression that a 540 was just a 440 with a bigger engine?  So it wouldn't be to far of a jump to say that a 440 could handle a bit more power, say 80-110 horseys

Really? Maybe, but first I've heard of it. I thought they discontinued the 440 because it was physically smaller than they thought they could sell enough of.

thenorthman

Sumting I heard on the enterweb, probably horribly missleading.  Anyway I was thinking of the older machines
well that didn't work

Okrafarmer

Well, I really don't know for sure, either way. I was always under the impression that the 440 was physically smaller than the 540. I'm sure that the 540 is at least heavier and more sturdily built. Deere went to a lot of trouble in the 60's and 70's to insure that when they updated a farm tractor and gave it more power, that they also beefed up the drive components. The 5020 and 6030 look very similar, but the entire drive line is beefed up on the 6030 to absorb the extra 30-50 hp. (just read that in current issue of Heritage Iron). Even if the 440 and 540 are a similar size, Deere would likely have made the 540 tougher.

redprospector

Quote from: Bobus2003 on November 18, 2012, 10:12:54 AM

Will the 5.9l even fit? Thats a pretty good sized engine, and heavy too.. I wouldn't be overly concerned about being "over powered" My 440 is handling 130hp without any major breaks.. just shows you the weak parts in a hurry, and for my not so great tires, my lack of traction (Does good with chains on).

You can make anything fit with a little imagination, a cutting torch, and a welder.  :D
130 in a 440 sounds intrueging, 200 sounds like scrap iron. What engine are you using for 130 horse power? I'm getting ready to re-power my Fecon FTX 90 with a 3054T Cat. That will be upgrading from 87 horse to 122, and that's going to take a lot of upgrading to make it work.

Andy

redprospector

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 18, 2012, 08:03:57 AM
If they had just put individual wheel brakes on it, they could have given it a differential. Oh well. We've already talked about the lack of 440 differential in another thread. Evidently, the lack of differential hasn't been a serious issue or people would be complaining about breaking the driveline.

I like the brake setup on the 440b. The only complaint I have on the entire machine (that I can think of off hand) is the fact that the transmission is the hydraulic resivoir. 5 gallons isn't near enough fluid in my opinion. Even a small leak can put you in jeopardy on a long steep hill.

Andy

Rob-IL

I also like the 440B, some of the best timber I've ever harvested we were using a 440B and got along just fine. Now I'm using larger skidders, burning more fuel and rarely cut the quality of timber I cut 20+ years ago!! 

Okrafarmer

Quote from: redprospector on November 18, 2012, 11:06:34 PM
I like the brake setup on the 440b. The only complaint I have on the entire machine (that I can think of off hand) is the fact that the transmission is the hydraulic resivoir. 5 gallons isn't near enough fluid in my opinion. Even a small leak can put you in jeopardy on a long steep hill.

For good or for evil, this is another legacy of the 440's farm equipment heritage. Up through the 1950's, JD tractors rears were compartmentalized with 2 or 3 different reservoirs. In the new models introduced in 1960 / 61, the reservoirs were all combined for transmission, rear end, PTO, and hydraulics. This was to simplify maintenance. With one big all-inclusive reservoir, it was easy to check two dipsticks-- one for the engine, and one for the rear end, and you only had to worry about two kinds of oil, for the engine, and for the rear end. So on their skidders, they took their contemporary philosophy of oil compartments, and applied it. As for whether 5 gallons is enough, I'd have to say, I can't answer that question.

dwchaisson

I have a buddy with a 440, put a rod through the side of the block, we came across a 6cyl out of a Combine at a reasonable price it was a tight squeeze but it fit fine and works great, motor never works hard anymore, best hing he coulda done to it !!
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

redprospector

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 19, 2012, 07:45:53 AM
Quote from: redprospector on November 18, 2012, 11:06:34 PM

For good or for evil, this is another legacy of the 440's farm equipment heritage. Up through the 1950's, JD tractors rears were compartmentalized with 2 or 3 different reservoirs. In the new models introduced in 1960 / 61, the reservoirs were all combined for transmission, rear end, PTO, and hydraulics. This was to simplify maintenance. With one big all-inclusive reservoir, it was easy to check two dipsticks-- one for the engine, and one for the rear end, and you only had to worry about two kinds of oil, for the engine, and for the rear end. So on their skidders, they took their contemporary philosophy of oil compartments, and applied it. As for whether 5 gallons is enough, I'd have to say, I can't answer that question.

You can take my word for it.....It ain't!!  :D

Andy

Okrafarmer

Then put more in!  :D :D :D :D

Maybe you could install one of those sensors that tells you if your trans oil pressure is getting too low. (maybe it already has one).

Bobus2003

Quote from: redprospector on November 18, 2012, 10:53:16 PM

You can make anything fit with a little imagination, a cutting torch, and a welder.  :D
130 in a 440 sounds intrueging, 200 sounds like scrap iron. What engine are you using for 130 horse power? I'm getting ready to re-power my Fecon FTX 90 with a 3054T Cat. That will be upgrading from 87 horse to 122, and that's going to take a lot of upgrading to make it work.

Andy

Using a JD 4045T out of Genset.. Was pretty much a bolt in.. biggest problem was the Waffle Plates and stub shafts to run the Hydraulic pump up front

thenorthman

I half wonder if that's the motor in mine?  Deere dealers around here have some personality disorders in the, Idon'tneedtotalktoyoucauseyoubuyoldjunkandrefusetobuyoverpricedoversizednew
So they are not forthcoming with information...
well that didn't work

Ed_K

Ed K

Okrafarmer

Oh, that manufacturers of portable sawmills would also be manufacturing personal-sized skidders! If companies like Woodmizer or Timberking built skidders, we would have what we needed. Including service.  :-\

redprospector

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 20, 2012, 12:27:53 AM

Maybe you could install one of those sensors that tells you if your trans oil pressure is getting too low. (maybe it already has one).

It has one of those things to tell if the oil level is low........A dip stick.  :D
It gets pulled at least twice a day (if I'm on it). The problem is that the 440 has a lot of steel hydraulic lines, and over 40 or so years or so they tend to crack. Even a small crack will rid you of 5 gallons of 303 tractor fluid before you even realize you have a leak. Hard on the tranny, and definately not a good thing on a 45% slope.

Andy

thenorthman

Last year I was pulling a turn with ye olde 9n and broke the after market farmer made hydraulic line to the bucket, five gallons in the time it took me to realize the three point wasn't working, and I was thoroughly stuck between a stump and another log that had been fell across the skid road.  Ah fond memories... My hat still has a few dents in it from that one ;D
well that didn't work

Okrafarmer

There must be a way to get a sensor hooked up inside the transmission and wired through to the operator's station and a blinking warning light. Okrafarmer says, "There's no such thing as can't, especially when it really matters."

lumberjack48

Quote from: redprospector on November 20, 2012, 10:28:00 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 20, 2012, 12:27:53 AM

It has one of those things to tell if the oil level is low........A dip stick.  :D
It gets pulled at least twice a day (if I'm on it). The problem is that the 440 has a lot of steel hydraulic lines, and over 40 or so years or so they tend to crack. Even a small crack will rid you of 5 gallons of 303 tractor fluid before you even realize you have a leak. Hard on the tranny, and definately not a good thing on a 45% slope.

Andy

The guys i knew that had 440's replaced the steel with reg hyd hose, other wise its a steady issue.

redprospector

A steady issue is an understatement. I'm replacing them with hoses as fast as they break. I just keep wondering how the heck many steel lines could they fit into one little 440.
There are a couple of lines in there that split when I wasn't working very close to town, so I brazed them up. I guess they'll have to break twice to get replaced.  ;)

Andy

Bobus2003

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 21, 2012, 02:32:51 PM

The guys i knew that had 440's replaced the steel with reg hyd hose, other wise its a steady issue.

Replaced all my hoses in mine a few years back when I stripped it down to a Bare frame and painted it.. Think I shed a few hundred pounds with all the sticks, needles and packed grease i pulled out..lol

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Bobus2003 on November 21, 2012, 10:57:19 PM
Think I shed a few hundred pounds with all the sticks, needles and packed grease i pulled out..lol

I wish it were that simple for me!  :D

Ironwood

For those interested, we are going to part out this skidder, see for sale section.....

Thanks Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!