iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding 18 volt batteries for cordless tools.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 07, 2015, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Has anyone done this? I lost one of my Milwaukee batts this summer, and I was going to retool with Makita, as they seemed to be the popular choice at work. My boss gave me his old Milwaukee tools, with a bunch of dead batteries, so I bought a couple of new ones and now seem to be committed to Milwaukee tools. The more people I talk to, the more support I get for Milwaukee, although I think Makita would be fine, too. I now have a bunch of batteries that won't take a charge, and I was thinking of rebuilding them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I have bought new batteries and rebuilt a few, but finding high ah replacements is a chore plus expensive.  After you add shipping to that, I felt that I was better off buying a warranted replacement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clearcut

Last time I went to try this I found pre-built after market batteries on eBay were about the same cost as buying the cells. That was for a Dewault.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Dave Shepard

There used to be a business near me that rebuilt batteries, but I think they moved. The 3ah batts from Home Depot are $140/pair, and the new 5.0 are $129 each. I'd like to know why the Festool 5.2 are only $45 each. ??? I guess if I can get a couple of years out of a pair that may just be a cost of having the convenience.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowstorm

i bought the big mikta set 8 yrs ago 18v most of the tools were pretty good. the drill has been fixed several times. new gear box new  chuck gets hot but it still works. the flash light needed a new circuit board. the plastic ring that holds the lenses and bulb in. if you get it tight enough to hold the bulb in it breaks. batteries might last a yr at best.  i have some 12v Milwaukee. the greese gun is over 3yrs old still running on the battery that came with it 

Kbeitz

Been there done that...
Some things I learned.
Most all take the same cells inside.
So what I do is search E-bay for cheap battery's of any make.
Then I take them apart for the cells and put them in my battery case.
You can reprieve old battery's by hooking a high amp battery charger to you old dead battery's.
I only do this for a few sec. Be very careful. I was told they can come apart doing this.
It has never happen to me and I've done a lot of them.
They will then again take a charge.
The newest battery's have electronics inside. I have not messed with them.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JB Griffin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 07, 2015, 05:42:10 PM
I'd like to know why the Festool 5.2 are only $45 each. ???

I guess they feel sorry for the people that spend $300-$600 on a bare tool. :o
Supposed to be the best there is though.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

jcbrotz

Quote from: JB Griffin on November 08, 2015, 01:24:54 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 07, 2015, 05:42:10 PM
I'd like to know why the Festool 5.2 are only $45 each. ???

I guess they feel sorry for the people that spend $300-$600 on a bare tool. :o
Supposed to be the best there is though.

They make their money on the tool not the batteries if I had the money all my tools would be festool no comparison to quality. That said I own lots of dewalt and they don't want to support 18v anymore but are finally making a 20v-18v adapter.

To answer the question they are tough to get right with most better know how to soider sending them in to be rebuilt is also an option dewalt isn't to bad with that.;
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Dave Shepard

I have four of the small batteries that won't charge. I might look into sending them out if it's not too expensive. After looking around, I might just buy a new tool with the big batteries, some kits are not much more than two 5.0 batteries outright.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 08, 2015, 09:58:32 AM
Been there done that...
Some things I learned.
You can reprieve old battery's by hooking a high amp battery charger to you old dead battery's.
I only do this for a few sec. Be very careful. I was told they can come apart doing this.

I have some I'm going to try that on. Just have to see which one is + and-- on the batt.
Thanks.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 09, 2015, 08:58:18 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 08, 2015, 09:58:32 AM
Been there done that...
Some things I learned.

I have some I'm going to try that on. Just have to see which one is + and-- on the batt.
Thanks.

Put it back on the charger for a few min. That will give it enough charge to put a meter on it to find the post post.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jim_Rogers

I had two batteries rebuilt for my portacable power drill at Batteries plus place not to far from me.
One of them I had to take back twice to get them to fix an internal connection that kept breaking off for no reason.
But since they were replaced they seem ok.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

21incher

I purchased a Makita 18 V Li Ion set a little while ago and would never purchase another. The batteries just die with no warning. You place them in the charger and lights start flashing and they will never charge again. This was after just owning the set for a little over a year. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on November 10, 2015, 07:57:23 AM
I purchased a Makita 18 V Li Ion set a little while ago and would never purchase another. The batteries just die with no warning. You place them in the charger and lights start flashing and they will never charge again. This was after just owning the set for a little over a year. :)

If they do that put them on a car charger for a short time.
That will fix that problem.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

snowstorm

Quote from: 21incher on November 10, 2015, 07:57:23 AM
mine did the same thing. if i am real lucky they last a year

clearcut

QuoteIf they do that put them on a car charger for a short time.
That will fix that problem.

Have a fully charged fire extinguisher at hand. Overheated Lithium Ion batteries can burst into intense flame. Lithium ion chemistry is more complex and potentially dangerous than Nickel Metal Hydride or NiCad.

LiOn batteries are also more difficult to rebuild. Each has a charge controlling circuit board that is matched to a brands charger.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

scsmith42

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 07, 2015, 05:16:30 PM
Has anyone done this? I lost one of my Milwaukee batts this summer, and I was going to retool with Makita, as they seemed to be the popular choice at work. My boss gave me his old Milwaukee tools, with a bunch of dead batteries, so I bought a couple of new ones and now seem to be committed to Milwaukee tools. The more people I talk to, the more support I get for Milwaukee, although I think Makita would be fine, too. I now have a bunch of batteries that won't take a charge, and I was thinking of rebuilding them.

Dave, I have rebuilt several battery packs.  Here is what I've learned:

1 - you can rebuild NiCad and Nickly Metal Hydrade battery packs.  You can't rebuilt Lithium Ion packs because the electronic circuitry inside must be matched to the batteries.

2.  Cells are pretty inexpensive, but it's hard for an individual to solder them in such a way that the connections don't take up more room than OEM.  If the pack has some room inside, this is not a problem.  However if the pack is very tight, it can be a pain.  I recently had to discard a battery pack because I could not get the connections as tight as what came in it to where the new pack would fit back inside the tight housing.

3 - Buy the batteries that have the tabs on them - much easier to solder them together.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

gspren

I have had good luck getting batteries rebuilt at a local shop, 14V Makita, both times the rebuilt battery was better than the original. (more Amp-Hrs).
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dave Shepard

At this point, I don't think I'll bother. HD has an M18 Fuel kit with hammer drill, impact driver, and two 5.0 batteries for $399, with $150 credit towards another Milwaukee product. That is to enticing to pass up.

Brucer

Don't mess with Lithium Ion batteries.

- They are meant to be charged in two stages ... constant current to start with, then constant voltage.
- If you overcharge them, you are risking thermal runaway which will destroy the battery and will often set it on fire.
- If you expose them to excess heat, they will short internally, causing thermal runaway.
- If you short them, they will overheat, causing thermal runaway.

Each battery contains an electronic circuit that is tuned to that specific battery. This is what controls the charging.

The batteries will deteriorate over time, even if you don't use them. You can slow this process down by keeping them cool. I store spare batteries in a plastic container in the fridge.

Ordinary Lithium Ion batteries shouldn't be charged in temperatures is below freezing. Doing so will cause a metallic barrier to form inside the cells, greatly decreasing the life of the battery.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

r.man

One interesting thing I can say about older Dewalts is that the 12 volt batteries will fit in the 9.6 drill, although you have to give the battery a firm hit to make it go in.  The drill works about the same as with a 9.6. I was looking at the fit of an 18 volt battery in a 12 volt drill and I expect if a plastic shoulder was removed from the battery that it would work. My wife jump started her E-reader that wouldn't take a charge. Used a 9 volt battery and a paper clip for a brief jolt. Sounded like the charging system didn't recognize the battery because it was so dead.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LeeB

My SIL hooks up his 18V stuff to a car battery all time. May run a little slower but runs just the same.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

John Mc

Quote from: Brucer on November 12, 2015, 01:13:07 AM
Ordinary Lithium Ion batteries shouldn't be charged in temperatures is below freezing. Doing so will cause a metallic barrier to form inside the cells, greatly decreasing the life of the battery.

That's a point I didn't know.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Brucer

Well most of the time we'd probably keep the charger in the house or the shop, so it wouldn't be an issue. I have been known to charge batteries in my unheated garage (but not in winter).

I did some research last year on Ni-Cad versus Lithium Ion batteries. The head of the tool department at the local building supply store was telling me stuff about Ni-Cads that I knew was complete nonsense.  :P It turns out that what he was telling me about Lithium Ion batteries was complete nonsense as well ::).

Dave Shepard

I haven't found a company that will rebuild my old batteries, but have been doing a lot of research into Milwaukee's Fuel line of 18 volt tools. I will only be buying Fuel tools from now on. I have a hatred for power cords, and have always wanted cordless tools that would rival the corded versions. The Fuel tools do that, from everything I've seen, which is multiple reviews and videos from different sources. I have the 1/2" Fuel impact wrench, and I believe it will completely eliminate the need for my air impact, which was no slouch. Battery technology is advancing very fast. You can already get 5.0 ah batteries, and in January, Milwaukee is introducing 6.0 and 9.0 versions as well. So the relevance to the thread is that with enough different tools in the M18 line, I plan on adding 7 1/4" circ saw and sawzall, fairly soon, I figure that having to spend a certain amount of money on batteries per year, (or every few years and spreading it out to a yearly value), is probably reasonable in comparison to the amount that I will be using these tools. Not having to have a generator, cords etc. has a petty significant value as well.

John Mc

I've got the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Sawzall and 1/2" Hammer Drill/Driver. I have their compact impact driver on order. They are GREAT tools. The "M18 Fuel" versions of their tools are significantly better than the plain "M18" tools (without the "Fuel" in the name).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

Did you order the new 2753 impact driver? It looks really impressive. I'll probably be getting the gen 2 hammer drill/impact set this winter.

John Mc

Yep, the 2753. Interested to try the self tapping screw mode. Ordered the bare tool. Waiting for the higher capacity batteries to come out - I have enough of the 3 and 4.0 batteries.

Dave Shepard

I just picked up the 2nd gen hammer drill, impact set with two 5.0 batteries, and the 2731 7 1/4" saw. The saw will get used tomorrow. Looking forward to not tripping over a cord. ;D

Jim_Rogers

post some pictures of these tools. Please?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

John Mc

Brucer

I'm really curious to see how the cordless circular saw works out. My boss owned one when I worked for him 11 years ago. It would give us a dozen or so cuts in 1x8 lumber before the battery would die. Would barely get started in a piece of 2" lumber before it would stall out :(.

Higher voltage and better battery technology may make a circular saw feasible.

John Mc

I read a tool review a while back, and the Milwaukee 6 1/2" circular saw got very good reviews. The only complaint was that it was not a 7 1/4" saw - which they've now come out with.

I owned one of their 6 1/2" circular saws with the older NiCad batteries. It cut fairly well when the batteries were in good condition. The new lithium batteries last much longer, and they have higher capacity batteries out now.

For the best performance and battery life, you want the "M18 Fuel" tools. The plain "M18" tools are pretty good, but the "Fuel" version is noticeably better.

Kbeitz

A little off topic but last week I was in an Amish store and was looking at
air powered saws and drills. They even had air powered sawsalls.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

The reviews I've seen for the M18 7 1/4" saw show that it will cut well over 200 2x4s or almost 300 feet of osb with a 4.0 battery. I have two 5.0 batteries with the drill kit, so I don't think I will run out of juice working alone. With a spare battery on the charger, should be able to work continuously. I tried it with a 3.0 last night, and it cut great, but you could get it to overload and shut off if you really pushed it. I think a bigger battery may provide more juice, and keep it from shutting off.

Dave Shepard

Experimented a little last night with the saw. 25 cuts in white pine full 2x8 got the battery gauge to drop down to three bulbs. That's 400 square inches on about a quarter battery (5.0ah). Reviews say 230 to 260 cut in 2x4 (1,300"2, roughly with 3.0ah). That's pretty impressive.

Just tried the 2753 impact. It's really fast. You have to push down just so the screw doesn't drive itself off the bit. :D

John Mc

My 2753 impact was delayed when they shipped me the wrong tool. It may be a while before I get to test it, since it's a Christmas present from my wife (surprise!)

Dave Shepard

I've been using the 2704 drill from the kit today to bore peg holes. I'm blown away at the power. It will run a 7/8" ship auger through larch on high like butter. My older M18 drills just don't run a ship auger.

Dave Shepard

I've had half a year using my Fuel tools, and I am very impressed. We end trimmed all of the roofing before installing, trimmed all the boards on the roof after installation, cut all of the bracing boards, and a few other miscellaneous things, and still have some charge left on one 5.0 battery. I'd say cordless saws have come a long way. My friend has been using his original M18 drill to screw the roof down, and it's slow, and eats up batteries like John Pinette at a Chinese buffet. :D

LeeB

Use the 1/4" impact for driving screws. You'll never use a drill again.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

I offered my gen2 Fuel impact, he declined. It would have been faster, and used way less batteries.

John Mc

So I never did get my Milwaukee 2753 Impact driver. After they shipped the wrong tool, the correct one was on back order. I finally told them to cancel the order. I'm now debating buying the 2753 or the 2757. 

The 2753 has several different speed modes and a "self tapping screw" mode you can select via 4 buttons on the tool.  The 2757 has Milwaukee's "One Key" system: It also has 4 buttons for different speed and torque profiles, but you can customize the profiles for speed and torque by using a smart phone running their One Key app.

Has anyone used one of Milwaukee's "One Key" tools? If so, what did you think?

(My apologies to the OP for the topic drift.)

Dave Shepard

There are reviews on YouTube. Basically, the gist was that if you were a competent power tool user, it was redundant, but if you had a bunch of "live bodies" running you tools, being able to dial in the tool could be handy. In delicate work, you can send a screw through the work and out the other side in a heartbeat.

John Mc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 21, 2016, 10:33:01 AM
There are reviews on YouTube. Basically, the gist was that if you were a competent power tool user, it was redundant, but if you had a bunch of "live bodies" running you tools, being able to dial in the tool could be handy. In delicate work, you can send a screw through the work and out the other side in a heartbeat.

Yeah. It would mostly be me and one other guy using it. We do solar PV installations. I was thinking the programmable bit might be helpful for repetitive tightening of multiple identical fasteners. If the torque limits worked OK, we could figure out a setting which put it just under the torque spec for a fastener, which would speed up the process greatly when we come back around with a torque wrench for the final tightening. If it worked well enough, we might be able to set it to the final torque spec, and just spot check a percentage of the fasteners.

47sawdust

I want to purchase a Milwaukee 18 volt 61/2'' saw for use at the mill as well as job site.The kit I am looking at is the 2630-22 M18,$349.00.The saw gets good reviews but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this saw.

As for as rebuilding batteries Primecell rebuilds them.I have no first hand experience with them
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

r.man

John Mc, I have wore out 3 different brands of drills with clutches over the years and I have found that to a certain degree tightness depends on battery charge at time of use. I expect almost any clutch based drill would get your torque close with a decently observant operator. Requires you to listen to the drill and assess based on the sound.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

John Mc

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 22, 2016, 02:00:29 PM
I want to purchase a Milwaukee 18 volt 61/2'' saw for use at the mill as well as job site.The kit I am looking at is the 2630-22 M18,$349.00.The saw gets good reviews but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this saw.

I prefer the M18 Fuel variants of their tools. They seem to have better torque and battery life. The 2730-22 would be the M18 Fuel version of the saw you named. It costs $399, another $50 above the price you listed.

If you need a larger saw, they also sell a 7 1/4" saw: the M18 Fuel 2731-22 for $429

I own one of their 6 1/2" Nicad-based circular saws. I was happy with it, but it's not the last Nicad Milwaukee tool I own. I'll eventually replace it with a lithium battery saw. I've used the 2730, and will eventually get either that one or the 2731.

NOTE: the 2630 seems to sell with their 3.0 Amp-hour batteries. They are good batteries, but their current standard for high capacity batteries is 5.0 Amp-Hour.  I have several 3.0 A-H batteries, and one 4.0 A-H. The difference in battery life is very noticeable. If I can't buy a new saw with the 5.0 batteries, I'll just buy the bare tool and get new batteries when my existing ones wear out.

John Mc

Quote from: r.man on May 22, 2016, 02:29:04 PM
John Mc, I have wore out 3 different brands of drills with clutches over the years and I have found that to a certain degree tightness depends on battery charge at time of use. I expect almost any clutch based drill would get your torque close with a decently observant operator. Requires you to listen to the drill and assess based on the sound.

I agree. I use the clutch on my Millwaukee cordless drill/driver now, but it's big and can be awkward when working on a roof. The compact impact drivers are smaller and lighter. I don't think they have a clutch adjustment, however. I do want to get an impact driver at one of these points (which is why I had the 2753 on order), if I can get one that also has adjustable torque, it could do double duty for me.

47sawdust

John,
Thanks for your input.I found the 2730 kit for $359.00 on Ebay and have placed the order.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dave Shepard

I notice that when I use a 3.0 on the 2731 saw, I can't push it as hard. Milwaukee was supposed to introduce a 6.0 battery the same size as the 5.0, and a 9.0 battery that was a bit bigger in January, but haven't checked up on that. Non-Fuel tools definitely use more juice then the Fuel ones.

Bruno of NH

I use 2 6 1/2 circ saws every day from March till the end of December cutting 1x shiplap and 2x lumber in my exterior repair condo contract . I love lithium ion makes my job much easier :)
People don't want you using there power :(
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

John Mc

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 22, 2016, 06:08:13 PM
...I found the 2730 kit for $359.00 on Ebay and have placed the order.

That's a great price. How many batteries, and what size?

47sawdust

Mick

Bruno of NH

The red Freud blades make the circ saws battery's last much longer .
The coating cuts down on the friction and they stay shard a long time .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

That's good to know. The one that comes on the saw seems to be pretty good also.

47sawdust

The Freud Diablo blades are what we use almost exclusively.I've never owned a cordless saw,just ordered one yesterday and my buddies at work informed me it was the gateway drug,guess I'll be going in for treatment soon. :D
Mick

Brad_bb

What rubs me wrong about the battery issues...the older Ni Cad batteries have memory effects and don't last.  So you end up with junk batteries and tools that are still good.  I have Bosch.  Then they really expect you to buy the whole new system of new tools and Li Ion batteries.  They could easily make an adapter to adapt the Li Ion batteries to the older tools, but they won't because they want to sell you the whole new tool line.  It's really wasteful to get rid of all those perfectly good tools. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

DeWalt does make an adapter to use lithium batts with the old tools.

Dave Shepard

Thinking about that a little more, with the advance in brushless tools, upgrading tools is worth it. In the case of Milwaukee, there are other advantages to the latest tools. For instance if you push a tool too hard, it will shut down, as well as shut down when the battery gets too low or before you overheat it.

John Mc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 24, 2016, 10:27:20 AM
Thinking about that a little more, with the advance in brushless tools, upgrading tools is worth it. In the case of Milwaukee, there are other advantages to the latest tools. For instance if you push a tool too hard, it will shut down, as well as shut down when the battery gets too low or before you overheat it.

It's that communication between the tool and the battery that can make it tough to adapt some of the newer Lithium-ion batteries to work with older NiCad tools. THese days, there is more to the batteries than just putting out power.

Bruno of NH

The brushless tools perform much better it's like night and day .
I thought it was bull untill I got some and used them :)

Dave Shepard

10" Fuel SCMS, 2 9.0 batteries, $599.00 at the Depot. 400 cuts per charge. I was talking to a contractor yesterday that just got the sawzall with a 9.0 battery and he has been taking down small trees with it. Cordless tools have come a long way! 8)

GRANITEstateMP

About once or twice a year our Interstate Battery guy will tell us that they are running a special on rebuilding tool / jump pack batteries.  Their sale is normally a week or so after I've replaced a dead jump pack with a new one, or bought a new power tool  :(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Dave Shepard

Home Depot's marketing department must be made up of reformed drug dealers. :D M18 Fuel Sawzall or Fuel 7 1/4" saw, 1-9.0 battery and a fast charger for $249.00. Separately, the Sawzall is $199, the battery is $199, and the charger is $79. They really know how to lure people in.  :)

John Mc

Makes me wish I had waited to buy my M18 Fuel Sawzall or 7 1/4" circular saw.  THise 9.0 A-H batteries are big, but having at least one of them would be nice... just not $200 nice.

Dave Shepard

I already had the circ saw, so I got the sawzall. I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging. I wouldn't run the drill or impact on a 9.0, you can go so far on a 5.0, and they are lighter. I'm thinking about the true color work lights. They wouldd be a good use for a 9.0.

John Mc

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

John Mc

Didn't know they even made a cordless version. I'll have to check it out.

scgargoyle

They make 9.0 batteries now? I built our house with my 5 year old M18 tools, and always seemed to have plenty of battery life. With 5 batteries, I never used them all in one day. I can't remember the last time I had my corded tools out. I recently bought the big 1/2" impact wrench for car and tractor work, and it's a beast. I would have never thought that a cordless tool could have that kind of power. It runs circles around my old pneumatic impact.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

John Mc

One thing Lithium Ion batteries don't like is extended disuse. You don't have to run them all the way down like you did with the old NiCad batteries, but they do like to have electricity flowing in and out of them from time to time.

If you know you'll be storing them for and extended period, it's generally recommended to store them about half full, rather than all the way charged or discharged.

Dave Shepard

I was impressed with the 7 1/4" saw with the 5.0 battery. With the 9.0, it's even better. You can hear the difference just spinning the blade. I had to ram it into a chunk of pine dunnage to get it to stall. I'm looking for some oak now.

Tooling up with the latest tools and bigger batteries is a chunk of money, but for serious use, they really do "cut the cord" as Milwaukee claims. I was thinking about a truck battery with an inverter to charge the M18 packs, but I now have enough batteries, and six chargers, too, that I don't need to recharge during the day.

petefrom bearswamp

Just bought a dewalt 40v chainsaw to use at the mill. thought it would be a good idea to have a spare battery and found one but it was 199 bucks.
same site had a scratch and dent leaf blower with battery and charger for 209.
I now have my spare battery plus a leaf blower that i cant find a sratch or dent on.
I have a ridgid drill that has lifetime guarantee on the drill charger and batteries.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 11, 2017, 07:43:19 PM
I already had the circ saw, so I got the sawzall. I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging. I wouldn't run the drill or impact on a 9.0, you can go so far on a 5.0, and they are lighter. I'm thinking about the true color work lights. They would be a good use for a 9.0.

Later this year turned out to be today.  :D I didn't get much time to play with the saw, but what I am seeing so far is very impressive. In addition to cutting boards on a job site, I also want to cut dunnage and stickers at the mill. I made a bunch of cuts on a piece of 3x4 thinking I would see the battery drop pretty fast. It didn't budge, still four lights. I cut a bunch of dry cherry 2x6 to see if it would cut without burning, it did great. Still four lights on the battery. Then I made about ten cuts pushing it hard to see how much it would take to make it bog. It didn't really bog down, in fact it cut as well as any of the DeWalt corded saws I've used. I checked the battery immediately after and it was down to three lights, but when I pressed it again two seconds later it was back to four. The only downside is that it's a ten inch, not a twelve.

Cut in black cherry with the 60t blade provided. No burning.

jcbrotz

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 12, 2017, 01:02:13 PM
Just bought a dewalt 40v chainsaw to use at the mill. thought it would be a good idea to have a spare battery and found one but it was 199 bucks.
same site had a scratch and dent leaf blower with battery and charger for 209.
I now have my spare battery plus a leaf blower that i cant find a sratch or dent on.
I have a ridgid drill that has lifetime guarantee on the drill charger and batteries.

petefrom bearswamp how do you like the dewalt chainsaw? I have been thinking heavily about one of these.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

John Mc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 13, 2017, 08:19:03 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 11, 2017, 07:43:19 PM
...I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging.

Later this year turned out to be today.  :D I didn't get much time to play with the saw, but what I am seeing so far is very impressive.

Have you had a chance to use that Sliding Compound Miter Saw yet? I'm curious if it's still working out for you. My wife does a bit of woodworking. Her miter saw is a garage sale special that we got for $15 (really more of a carpenter's chop saw - and  cheap one at that - than a real woodworking tool). It cuts, but it's not a very rigid frame, so the cuts are not always accurate unless you are very careful.

She would probably use it 95% of the time in the shop. I had been thinking of getting her a decent 12" corded saw, but I see that Home Depot is having a sale on the Milwaukee M18 Fuel SCMS: buy one that comes with a 9.0 AH battery & rapid charger, and get another 9.0 AH battery free. (All our chargers are the standard charger, so the rapid would be nice, as would the extra 9.0 battery.)  I've not really started shopping for the 12" corded version, but this price is less than Milwaukee's 12" corded scms, and about the same as the Dewalt (I don't know if either of them are good saws or not).

So now I'm torn: 10" Cordless, for those few occasions when we'd use it portable, or corded with a 12" blade. She doesn't do a lot of big stuff, but when you need it, it's nice to have.

To the OP: sorry for the topic drift here

Dave Shepard

I haven't had a chance to really work it for a day, but I'm impressed so far. There are many reviews on YouTube. All have been positive. The big issue is the ten inch capacity. I wanted it mostly to cut dunnage and stickers at the mill where I have no power. Milwaukee days it will cut 400 2x4 of 150 2x12. I've been doing more small woodworking projects lately, meaning not timber framing, and this will make busting out a lot of parts go faster.

The more time I spend on YouTube, the more neat tools I'm finding that Milwaukee offers. Last night I found a combo spot/floodlight that I think I'll get, as well as a ton of other lighting options.

ScottAR

I'm no help on the cordless miter saws but we (dad and I) have two Dewalt sliders and they work great.
They are heavy to move however. I dunno how heavy the other offerings are as ours are older models.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Banjo picker

I didn't rebuild my 18 volt batteries today, but I did bring about 5 back to life. I was looking around on the internet for a way to rebuild them and came across this guy that was hitting them with a charge from a small wielder.  I should have just checked the forum here first.  Back in about post 5 Kbietz told how to bring them back, and it works. Here is how I hooked them up.

I used my old and I do mean old battery charger.  I set it to the start position which is 50 amps and turned it on for about 10 seconds.  Then I put it on its own regular Dewalt charger and every one of them took a charge.  Before when you put the battery on the charger it would start out blinking like all was well and then in a minute or so you get the really fast blinks that say the battery pack is bad.  After the zap they all charged.  These were all 18 volt Dewalt batteries and you know how much they cost.  By using the battery charger you can get a little distance between you and the battery when you turn on the juice.  I am not saying its not dangerous as I have seen automotive batteries blow up, but it worked for me....your results may vary.  I just wish I could find that old Milwakee hammer drill that I bought that wouldn't charge. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Don P

Banjo, is that a Lithium Ion or a NiCad battery?

John Mc

Backfeeding a Nicad battery does two things:

• it may "wake the battery up enough that the charger for that battery will now recognize it and at least make an attempt to charge it up
  • When back feeding, it works better to do a few brief "zaps" rather than one long one: connect for a 2 seconds, disconnect, connect for 2 more second, etc. Do that maybe half a dozen times (or more if you are backfeeding with a lower voltage source). Doing this makes a sort of square wave feedin ginto the battery that can break up internal pathways that have formed and may be creating a partial short, draining the battery.

My electrical engineer friend had me use the above technique and hook up two 12 volt car batteries in series (to make 24 volts) and use that to back feed (connect + to + and - to -) my 18 V nicad tool batteries. It worked on a couple of them. The ones that it did not work on, he had me open up and use a single 12V car battery to back feed each individual cell. Doing individual cells is much more effective than trying to do the whole pack at once, but it's more of a hassle, so worth seeing if you can resurrect the battery without disassembling it first.

He also strongly recommended NOT trying to resurrect Lithium-Ion batteries back feeding them with a higher voltage. He aid you really just want to use their regular charger on them. You might get away with it, but if you don't, lithium-ion sometimes just won't take the abuse, and the results are "not pleasant". (He did admit to knowing a lot more about NiCad than LI-ion, however.)

Dave Shepard

In the case of the Milwaukee chargers, if they don't see a minimum voltage, they won't charge. If a battery was left in a cold environment for a long time at a low charge, it can drop below that voltage. Normally the battery shuts off before it is too low to recharge, but long term storage or cold can drop it down. If this is the cause of not charging, the solution I've seen on YouTube, use at your own risk  ;), is to hook up a good, fully charged battery for a few minutes to get the dead battery over the threshold voltage. If you have a battery with a bad cell, then this won't work, and you may have a fire. I have one battery that was about 15v, and just needed a couple of volts to bump it up. The others were only 2-3 volts. They are junk. 

After considering the risks, time, and expense of messing with old batteries, I've decided not to bother with them. I've also ended up with so many newer, larger batteries, it became a non issue. 

There are a few more batteries and chargers not pictured. Four M18 chargers,  five Rapid Chargers, and 18 batteries (7-9.0ah) later, I seem to have enough:

John Mc

The Interstate Battery store near me will rebuild NiCad batteries, but they won't touch Lithium-Ion. From what I undertand, their insurance company has a fit about working on LI-ion batteries. They don't know if that is over concerns about some danger in working on them, or the liability if you were the last one to work on a LI-ion battery and it goes up in flames sometime later while in use or storage (same concerns the airlines have about bringing those batteries on board).

Banjo picker

Quote from: Don P on September 09, 2018, 09:34:52 PM
Banjo, is that a Lithium Ion or a NiCad battery?

They are all NiCads  I checked them this morning and two are extremely low.  They may have a bad cell, but if I have save half of what I started with, I consider it a win.  

Dave with that many batterys and chargers, you may want to seek out a counceling group. :D Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Corley5

Dave I'm impressed you know how many batteries and chargers you have :) 8) :) ;D ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ianab

Why you don't mess with Lithium batteries. The lithium is so reactive that it burns in almost anything, including water. If you short one out and it catches fire....

Lithium Metal Experiment FAIL!!! - YouTube
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: John Mc on September 09, 2018, 10:34:49 PMBackfeeding a Nicad battery does two things: it may "wake the battery up enough that the charger for that battery will now recognize it and at least make an attempt to charge it up When back feeding, it works better to do a few brief "zaps" rather than one long one: connect for a 2 seconds, disconnect, connect for 2 more second, etc. Do that maybe half a dozen times (or more if you are backfeeding with a lower voltage source). Doing this makes a sort of square wave feedin ginto the battery that can break up internal pathways that have formed and may be creating a partial short, draining the battery.

Way back (mid-70's) I was into Remote Control (R/C) airplanes.  NiCad was the best we had and they were expensive.  You had to maintain those batteries year round.  If you didn't, they built up the internal shorts, ruining the battery.  An old R/C magazine had an article about zapping them back to life.  I made one.  Basically a large capacitor bank (about 3,000 mfd) that you would charge up with a 4 or 5 vdc source (IIRC).  You would place a AA battery in the holder that had a VOM attached to it.  You would then press a momentary switch a few times and watch the VOM to see if the battery would hold volts.  The ability of the capacitors to dump a LOT of amps of lower voltage is what did the trick.  It worked quite well!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

I've also charged up failing battery packs then open them up, disassemble the jumpers from each cell and find the bad ones. I've taken 2 failing packs and made one decent battery. You can also buy those sub C batteries online and refurbish a pack that way.

78NHTFY

Don P--have done the same.  Now have three working Ryobi and two DeWalt 18 volt batteries.  Cost of the generic 18 volt batteries is about $ 13 ea.  A little soldering and it's a lot cheaper than $ 50 plus per new battery.  Youtube is good for stuff like that....All the best, Rob. 
If you have time, you win....

Thank You Sponsors!