iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Good video of the FT-133 at work in a second thinning. Nice pine stand with good regeneration.
~Ron

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

When did Brian get rid of his 1270?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Pclem

I've seen that video before somewhere with the 350. Hard to believe that little thing'll haul such a load!
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

teakwood

Nice! A bulldozer with a grapple crane, that would be handy for me
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Corley5

Makes me cringe seeing that loader/dozer combo with absolutely no protection for the operator.  I've seen the main vertical shaft break completely off on those Gafners.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Quote from: Pclem on January 25, 2018, 01:29:55 PM
I've seen that video before somewhere with the 350. Hard to believe that little thing'll haul such a load!

It makes me wonder why ive never been able to find a forestry trailer behind a dozer.   Ive seen quite a few videos over the years of 4wd farm tractors struggling to get half loads up a hill or thru a swampy patch.  Badly sunken in or having to unload the whole trailer, move a few feet then reload several times.  The soil gets wrecked.  Im curious why no one seems to use a crawler on swamp pads for the power unit.  Id think the volume or logs per trip, increased stability and not getting stuck as much would offset the slower speed and have a kinder footprint.  Am i wrong?
Praise The Lord

g_man

I stole this picture from a tractor forum. This is a rig a guy over in Down East Maine uses. He has a tractor for the trailer also plus a skidder. He says the Dozer/Trailer combo is the best way to go for him.

gg

mike_belben

Nice setup.  Has he ever pulled the trailer with the skidder?
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

I have a JD RotoBoom. Originally the boom was mounted on the cat (I think). The plan is to mount it on the 3pt hitch of the Steiger and pull the trailer.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Gearbox

Puffergas that I want to see . I have wanted to put one on my 9600 Ford .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ron Scott

The John Deere 350 and Gafner loader were popular units for logging the cedar swamps and jack pine areas of the eastern UP during the early 1960's. Also with no protective canopies.
~Ron

thecfarm

g_man,not a bad setup. But I don't have a dozer. BUT I sure could use one. BUT using one would only found more rocks to haul into the bog. Getting a bigger forwarder trailer would enable to haul more rocks too. What a vicious circle.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Quote from: thecfarm on January 28, 2018, 08:08:30 PM
Getting a bigger forwarder trailer would enable to haul more rocks too. What a vicious circle.  ;D

Then you need a bigger tractor and and and.......  :D

Don't you wanna leave any rocks to the next guy ? :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Skeans1

Or just a forwarder with the right tracks

thecfarm

I really doubt I will run out of rocks.   :(  And if I did, I could call a blasting crew and that would keep me going for a while.  :D Got some biggies sticking out of the ground.

coxy

Quote from: Corley5 on January 25, 2018, 08:26:22 PM
Makes me cringe seeing that loader/dozer combo with absolutely no protection for the operator.  I've seen the main vertical shaft break completely off on those Gafners.
my dad logged with an old jd 1010 dozer for 20years with no ROPS  then there was about 10 years with out a dozer then got a 350 with ROPS the first week he said I cant believe I never got killed with that 1010 

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on January 26, 2018, 08:09:28 AM
Quote from: Pclem on January 25, 2018, 01:29:55 PM

It makes me wonder why ive never been able to find a forestry trailer behind a dozer.   Ive seen quite a few videos over the years of 4wd farm tractors struggling to get half loads up a hill or thru a swampy patch.  Badly sunken in or having to unload the whole trailer, move a few feet then reload several times.  The soil gets wrecked.  Im curious why no one seems to use a crawler on swamp pads for the power unit.  Id think the volume or logs per trip, increased stability and not getting stuck as much would offset the slower speed and have a kinder footprint.  Am i wrong?

Or pickup a lamtrac  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YvarzmWp3I or Fecon  or cmi.  Undercarriage on all those are designed for the woods.  Trouble is they are weighted to offset the a heavy front end but I bet you enterprising folks could put a trailer forward and use the hydraulics to drive the crane.  Then disconnect the whole system when you wanted to put the mulching head back on. 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Speaking of forestry undercarriages.. How are the best ones set up?  To oscillate somehow?  Any particular machine i can study thats got a great reputation for woods agility?
Praise The Lord

coxy

there was one like that around here a guy was using to log part time with but it didn't hold up he made an arch for it it was a neat looking little thing

Maine logger88

Never posted a picture of my bell so here it is
And a pic of moving it and my 225 last week

I just bought this 240A grapple today needs a little tinkering before I put it in the woods
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Is that an Esco grapple? Looks like the one on Myrtle.

Myrtle before rebuilding.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!