iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 208 E

Started by Ohio Logger, August 23, 2014, 04:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Logger

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I've enjoyed reading the posts on here.
Learned alot on here already. I'm a small logging outfit in eastern OH. Been running a Kubota M4500 DT for bout  four years now. Got a Tajfun 55 AHK winch for it, plus a small hydraulic grapple. I've posted a couple pictures FYI. Problem is it's too small and I've got too much work. So I bought  a Timberjack 208 e. Everything seems to work good on it. Engine was done 200 hrs ago (so they say) starts and runs well. Trans seems a little worn. Transfer case is definitely worn. My question is how do I tell the oil level in the case. It ran a bunch out on the belly pan the first day I ran it. Can't find a level plug anywhere. I suspect it came out the fwd/rev shift rod. There is some play in it. Is it possible that it was overfilled and developed too much pressure? Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your advice. I'll try to post a few pictures of it soon

Dave Shepard

Was the oil clean, or milky? If it's milky, then you've got water in there. I can take a look at the T case on the 208 here and see where the plugs are.

Welcome to the Forum!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Ohio logger,One of the rear bolts in the transmission cover should have a flat washer brazed to the top of it,if you unscrew it there should be a rod attached with a high and low mark on  it. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dave Shepard

Yes, there is bolt like that on the left side of the top cover on this one. There is a 1/2" pipe plug on the left side of the T case, about 8-10". I think that is the upper level.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ohio Logger

Thanks, I'll take a look on Mon when I go back out to the job. It has a half inch pipe plug on top to fill. If I still can't figure it out I'll take some pics. Can someone tell me what it would take to put new seals around shift rods? Or should I just wait and rebuild the whole thing this winter?

Dave Shepard

I had the T case apart on this 208. I didn't put it back together, so I don't know what they did to it, but it doesn't leak. It is pretty simple to work on. I have a thread on here detailing most of the work done to it.

Dave Shepard

Neilo

OL, do you know whether your machine has a New Process or Eaton transfer case? Dave's 208 has a NP in it. The NP can be identified by having 1.96:1 ratio cast into the rear side.

Rebuild kits for the NP are easy. Just get one for a NP200, and it will do almost all of the bearings, seals and gaskets.

A photo may help us.

Neilo

Ohio Logger

Ok, here's an update. I did find the level plug, just like you said Dave. Thanks alot! No oil ran out but when I dumped a quart in it ran out immediately. So I think I can run for a while before rebuilding. Is it normal for excess oil to run out if it's overfilled. I put and extra quart in and it started leaking again. I like the machine so far, seems very simple.

Neilo

It should not leak but it should not be overfilled on purpose either.

What transfer case is in it?

Ohio Logger

Haven't had time to answer some of the questions. Machine's out on a job right now. And when I'm there, I've got work to do. So check in from time to time. Thanks so much!

Ohio Logger

Finally, figured out how to post a photo. Here's one of my 208 pulling a hitch. This was kind of a trial run. More to follow. 

Thank You Sponsors!