iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Give Me the Purple!!!!

Started by Gary_C, August 18, 2008, 07:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Yes, it's County and State Fair time.

I am always amazed at the lengths some people will go to win those purple and blue ribbons. I just heard about a local beef farmer that paid $5000 for a steer that he expected to win and another $5000 for a cooler for the animal to live in so he would eat more (and gain more) and so his hair would grow longer.

His plan worked, he got the purple, despite the fact that he is not alone just in this county in having a cooler.  ;D

Course there is electricity and feed costs to add to that, but what the hay, those purple ribbons are good to have.  ::) ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

Our county fair starts today. I'm trying to decide if I can make it (that is not make it) again this year. Back in my painting days I exhibited at the fair.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

My 1st Bride entered her first Saw Blade painting at the local Fair, and won a Blue Ribbon. No holding her back, from then on.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thecfarm

Fairs been going here since July.I've see money in steers and alot in goats too.Some hobbies can be costly.Just have to convince others to buy from you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

The county fairs are pretty tame when compared to our Farm Show.  That's more like the state fair.  Last year the Grand Champion steer sold for $18,000, the Grand Champion swine sold for $5,700, Grand Champion lamb for $4,200, and the Grand Champion goat for $2,900.

They hold that in late January.  Its always interesting to watch the town folk walk through all that "water" on the floor.   :D   Another is when they walk behind the cows when they raise their tails.  You're just hoping the cow coughs..   :D :D

Exhibitions at the Farm Show are well above the county level.  They have horse pulls, sheep to shawl competition and just about every other thing associated with farming and farm life. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on August 18, 2008, 11:16:43 PM
The county fairs are pretty tame when compared to our Farm Show.  That's more like the state fair.  Last year the Grand Champion steer sold for $18,000, the Grand Champion swine sold for $5,700, Grand Champion lamb for $4,200, and the Grand Champion goat for $2,900.

They hold that in late January.  Its always interesting to watch the town folk walk through all that "water" on the floor.   :D   Another is when they walk behind the cows when they raise their tails.  You're just hoping the cow coughs..   :D :D

Exhibitions at the Farm Show are well above the county level.  They have horse pulls, sheep to shawl competition and just about every other thing associated with farming and farm life. 

Wondering, Ron....do they have appease the banker contests?    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SwampDonkey

Buyers of grain would visit around with local farmers, set up tour locations at various farms and issue ribbons for top growers. It was nothing but a farce as all processors do this and the price of delivered grain was never reflected in it. They will come up with all kinds of ways to steal their 20 % on delivery.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

So Gary, what're you showing this year? ;D

Gary_C

Not showing anything, Norm. 

This year for the first time I was able to go and sit and watch my grandkids show two goats and five sheep on Thursday afternoon and evening. I also found time to watch the open class dairy show on Saturday evening. For many years I was the chairman of that dairy show but have been away from that for a few years.

So this year it was fun just sitting watching, but it was hard to not notice the lack of organization for the goat and sheep show when the goat show started over an hour late and then ran two hours into the starting time for the sheep show. So we did not get out of there till after ten PM Thursday.  ;D

So I am always amazed but not really surprised at the lengths some people will go to win at these county and state fairs. One year when I was running that dairy show, one exhibitor brought a pretty fancy cow that won top prize, but lost his prizes when the previous owner came and repossesed the cow after the show when the check bounced.  Checking registration papers and ownership records was a nightmare every year.  :D :D

The dairy shows are extremely competative but still cannot begin to compare with the beef, goat, and sheep shows where they have those financially rewarding market sales.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Faron

We spent Saturday and Sunday at the Indiana State Fair at Indy watching Boer  goat shows.  The 4-H show was Saturday and then Sunday 50 classes in the open show. I learned quite a bit about my newest enterprise. 8) 
My daughters pretty much dominated swine showmanship during their years in 4-H, but we never won a whole lot with the pigs themselves.  I wouldn't trade those years for anything.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!