iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brigggs, twin 19.5 troubles

Started by drobertson, September 06, 2017, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

left side not firing,, blowing back gas vapor through the carb,  replaced the coil and plugs, not it, for the record it has been using a bit more oil than I know is normal, any help or suggestions would be appreciated,, I you tubed,  googled this and now I'm reaching out for more input.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

coalsmok

Don't replace parts blind. Check for spark while running first, then do a compression test. Maybe also check valve lash 

drobertson

thanks there was no fire,, I do suspect valves, and or worse, rings, don't have a compression tester handy but will get one,, got a bad feeling on this one,, only need to mow once maybe twice this year, so I will have some time to figure this one out,, thanks again,, what is valve lash by the way?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hilltop366

Have you checked the valve clearance (same as valve lash)?

I use a larger v twin at work that has a all in one dual carb that had one side of the carb plugged as you can imagine it only ran on one cylinder not sure what carb is on this one .

Hope you get it sorted out!

drobertson

Have not check anything internal yet, called a time out for now,  its a single carb, and a straight twin not a "v" pretty sure its a year 2000, who knows the hours on it,  it also has nickle and dimed me for the last couple of years, multiple repairs, steering, deck, the usual,  I'm bout ready to scrub it, but it pains me to not know before I bite it for a new one,, if we do, it will be  a zero turn this time,,

drobertson

An old friend stopped by just a bit ago,, he had a compression test kit and spark detector,, the new coil is firing,, but that left side has zero compression,,, the right side has 105,  head scratching for this evening, and back on it in the morning,, thanks you guys,,

dgdrls

Straight twin??  Not familiar with B&S 19.5
Parallel cylinders or opposed 180?
Flat head or overhead valves?

D

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Quote from: dgdrls on September 06, 2017, 07:35:36 PM
Straight twin??  Not familiar with B&S 19.5
Parallel cylinders or opposed 180?
Flat head or overhead valves?

D

The heads are opposed I guess you would say, in line, one on each side, single carb with a manifold to each head,

Thanks Kbietz,  I really kinda figured it was the valves, I don't know anything about these except I know they mow when working, I will check the head in the morning,

sawguy21

What Kbeitz said, it is a common problem on those engines. Remove the head, it is a quick job, and check the exhaust seat make sure the piston is moving. The engine will run smoothly on one cylinder but will be down on power and hard to start.
If it is the seat stake it in place with a center punch then peen the aluminum with a flat punch. Valve clearances are IN .005" to .007" and EX .009"-.011"
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

Pretty much explains it all, exhaust seat is loose as well, thanks KB, and saw21, going in after dinner,

drobertson

DOA. both seats loose, valve guides too, rings shot,, scraping it, and moving on,, thanks for yalls direction,,

sawguy21

Whoa da bus. Not so fast! If the rings are shot the valves and piston would be coated with oily carbon. The valves will be a bit loose in the guides, if at automotive tolerances they will seize when the engine gets hot. If the wear is excessive the guides can be resized with brass bushings. Briggs repair manual 271172 is your friend.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 08, 2017, 01:22:06 PM
Whoa da bus. Not so fast! If the rings are shot the valves and piston would be coated with oily carbon.

There does look to be a lot of oil laying in the cylinder...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

I will woaa the bus,, the guides can be refit, they were off and up around the head and face seat, the wobble at full compression was quite noticeable,  and the amount of oil present upon first opening was a bit more than the photo shows.  So, I need to resize the valve guide seals, re- ring, might as well do both cylinders,,its just a full blown rebuild for all practical purposes, now, I've never done one, so this will be a winter time project for sure,,poor mower,, 17 years of hard work,,when is it time to laydown?

Thank You Sponsors!