iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stolen trees

Started by Slab Slicer, June 13, 2018, 04:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

I've had this personally happen being both the land owner and logger where the county has a surveyor come in and move the property lines, then when court comes around those lines get tossed out.

mike_belben

I believe thats called corruption.
Praise The Lord

DRB

Co worker had a logger take 3 semi loads of Doug Fir off his property. Clearly intentional as the guy pulled out the stumps and the property lines were clearly marked.  Was the second time the logger got caught stealing timber. First time he spent 12 months in jail. Second time 18 months.  My co worker got a judgment against him but the guy killed himself soon after getting out of jail so he got only his lawyers fees back before that happened. At least that meant he could not do it again.  There was no logging equipment in the guys name he was doing the theft for someone else. There was no estate to make a claim against.  

Matt601

Quote from: DRB on June 18, 2018, 01:46:25 AM
Co worker had a logger take 3 semi loads of Doug Fir off his property. Clearly intentional as the guy pulled out the stumps and the property lines were clearly marked.  Was the second time the logger got caught stealing timber. First time he spent 12 months in jail. Second time 18 months.  My co worker got a judgment against him but the guy killed himself soon after getting out of jail so he got only his lawyers fees back before that happened. At least that meant he could not do it again.  There was no logging equipment in the guys name he was doing the theft for someone else. There was no estate to make a claim against.  
Sounds like he was working for edited by admin.
No matter where you go there you are!!!

WDH

Set the emotions aside.  There are laws that cover this and you need to understand them.  A Forester will know how to proceed.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slab Slicer

Great News. The judge found in favor of my sister, and her neighbor, who also had trees stolen. It was pretty much open and shut. The land owner who hired the logger had to pay for the stolen logs. They were ultimately responsible, and would not say who the logger was. I have a feeling it was a family member. It cost the landowner $5000. Cant tell you how that was divided, but it was fair in my eyes.
Thank you all for the advice. It was very helpful. This was more than a year in the making. Just glad it ended this way.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WV Sawmiller

Congrats on a happy ending. I hope that is enough of a deterrent to prevent such actions in the future.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

There was no harvest permit naming who the logger was?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

luvmexfood

Quote from: Slab Slicer on June 22, 2018, 04:18:39 PM
Great News. The judge found in favor of my sister, and her neighbor, who also had trees stolen. It was pretty much open and shut. The land owner who hired the logger had to pay for the stolen logs. They were ultimately responsible, and would not say who the logger was. I have a feeling it was a family member. It cost the landowner $5000. Cant tell you how that was divided, but it was fair in my eyes.
Thank you all for the advice. It was very helpful. This was more than a year in the making. Just glad it ended this way. 

Well if he wouldn't say who the logger was then he was just as guilty. I'm sure him not naming the logger made him a co conspirator. Always remember my golden rule about going to court. Never pee off the judge. Had a hearing one time during with my exwife. Her and her lawyer had been given a notice of hearing but not a summons. She and her lawyer didn't bother to show up. Judge said here is what the law says so I cannot rule on these items because she is not here but I can rule on the following and they all went my way. He was *pithed because she was wasting his time and I was paying my lawyer to be there and she decided not to show.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

John Mc

Quote from: Southside logger on June 22, 2018, 11:05:01 PM
There was no harvest permit naming who the logger was?
Not sure about PA, but that requirement is usually set by the state, and some states do not require it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!