iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Magicman Ugly Foot Club

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, June 24, 2019, 09:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

I too have hammer toe issues. Recently had surgery to correct/improve.  The way they had curled was causing the toe(s) to get sore after a lot of walking or working.  I thought it was because of the toe nail maybe.  Doc said it was the end of the bone getting irritated from the rubbing. Since I met my insurance deductible with the neck fusion it was time.  Been wearing a hard boot since the surgery 4/12 and look forward to shedding that after tomorrow's appointment.

The sayings that I was not particularly thrilled with as a kid suffering from an injury was 'cry real fast and get it over with'  and 'it will feel better when it quits hurting'!  

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: jmouton on June 24, 2019, 08:00:10 PM
not sure why i clicked on this ,,,i knew by the title there would be an ugly foot picture ,  and i clicked anyway,,,  like a bad train wreck cant look away
I am just glad that groin injuries are very uncommon in the work we all do. :D ;D :)  I never want to see that thread.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OG,

Who says they are uncommon? We just don't talk about them unless it is someone else. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

WS, assuming you sleep on your back, gravity has moved the blood from your forefoot to the heel.  kids with a bump on their forehead, will later have a black eye and then cheek.  we spend sleep time on our back or sides and all day up.  again with the selfie in the bathroom... :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

You scared me there for a bit with the WS instead of WV. I thought you were replying to my groin injury comments.  smiley_sweat_drop
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

WV, i will not comment on where your groin bruise might end up due to the FF policy on words, and it is after all a family site.   :D :D :D   :o :o :o   :) :) :).  WS if your bruise makes it to your groin, then you are standing on your head too long. ;) @WV Sawmiller   @Weekend_Sawyer 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I probably won't sleep a wink now :(.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on June 26, 2019, 08:36:04 PM
WS, assuming you sleep on your back, gravity has moved the blood from your forefoot to the heel.  kids with a bump on their forehead, will later have a black eye and then cheek.  we spend sleep time on our back or sides and all day up.  again with the selfie in the bathroom... :D :D :D
This is kind of fascinating Doc! SO you are saying dependent lividity is a potential in all injuries? Or would this not be considered dependent lividity? The only time I have seen dependent lividity in is patients that have ceased complaining.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

dependent lividity (livor mortis) is the fourth stage of death, and rigor mortis (post mortem rigidity) is the third stage.  so bruises (blood leaked out of capillaries) can migrate before death, and after death it is not really a bruise as it is still in the capillaries but the red cells settle to the bottom since the blood is not being agitated by the heart beat and blood flow. algor mortis is the second stage and reflects a change in temp.  pallor mortis is the first stage of death and is after death paleness.  all these words were coined long before any real understanding from Greek and Latin.  So if you push on a bruise it may blanch and be tender, lividity is painless...except for the family.

Old Greenhorn

OK, so clearly it is not dependant lidivity. I had the wrong term and an incomplete understanding. I just find it fascinating that a bruise, or rather the discoloration could move like that. Of course, I have always dealt with these within minutes of occurrence, and dependant lividity hours after occurrence. Both of these I have seen more than my share of. It's nice to understand them better. I have had plenty of patients complain about bruises, never one that complained about lividity. ;D :D :(
 Of all things things I learn about on the FF, this is not one I would have expected, but I will take it and file it away. Thanks!

Magicman

:P   And it began with bruised toes.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

as a pediatrician, we try to understand bruising a little, so we can tell abnormal bruising (abuse) from normal.  some kids are born with birth marks called Mongolian spots and can be confused with abuse as it is usually located on the low back, not a normal place for kids to get a bruise.  The shin is a normal place for kids to get a bruise and means they got to go to grandpa's house and play outside.  If a child is seen with a bump to the forehead and a few days later with a black eye, it could be confused with abuse.  We do not want to over or under diagnose abuse.  dropping a board on your foot is self abuse, unless the bruise migrates to the groin then we have some "splaining to do".   8)   :)  
@Old Greenhorn  NOT terms we use every day and I looked them up on Wikipedia to be sure.  ;)   
@Weekend_Sawyer    @WV Sawmiller  @Magicman 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on June 27, 2019, 08:47:15 AMNOT terms we use every day and I looked them up on Wikipedia to be sure.

AH! OK. I had thought this was a gross oversight in my education. Now I don't feel so bad. Good knowledge none the less, it allows for more careful analysis of a very common injury. My Grandsons are routinely providing me with practice in the more mundane stuff that I didn't have much contact with previously. The last couple of years, I have been getting better with the pediatric 'conditions'. Contusions, abrasions, hematomas, etc. Lots of ecchymosis.

olcowhand

Quote from: Magicman on June 27, 2019, 07:32:42 AM
:P   And it began with bruised toes.  :D
....I know! I think I'm ready for my PHD.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Thank You Sponsors!