iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost and Found

Started by Dale Hatfield, May 20, 2007, 11:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Hatfield

Have you ever lost  a good knife and have it turn up  again ?
Me and my lost friend found each other tonight. Been a year and a half. Spent better part of an afternoon searching pasture where i was sure it had left me. Cutting hay string.  At any rate its been hiding out tween seats in the wifes truck. She found it yesterday , told me this evening. Sure feels good to have it back in service. The new replacement knofe was nice but just wasnt right.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

beenthere

Just your lucky week, I guess.  ;D 8) 8) 8)

I've lost three that I wish I could find.....but not expecting any miracles. ::)

Glad for ya Dale
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

I know what ya mean, Dale.   I've been carrying the same Bucklite 421 on my belt for 15+ years.  I'd be absolutely lost without it.  I'm glad ya found it! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

A few years ago one of my boys bought a new car seat at the auto wreckers for $20.00 , lost inside it were 2(two!) good knives and about $7.00 change  8)  ;D  ;D

I still have the knives

DanG

So, what happened to the 7 bucks?  Did ya put it to good use, or just pith it away on groceries and rent?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

Son got the money , I got the knives

I still got the knives and that tight son-of-a-gun probably still has the $7.00  :D

thurlow

I've got some lots of good knives;  if I put one in my pocket, I'd lose it within a week..........beenthere/donethat.  So, I carry a $5.00 lockback which I got off the counter at the local C0-0P;  it's at least 5 years old. 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Don P

Grandad's pocketknife. Not really too concerned, I've mislaid it for 5 years at a time and we always seem to get back together. One blades a little broken, one's about sharpened through. Its one of those earliest memories, I can remember him slicing a chunk of apple with it when I was 4 or 5 and handing it to me on the blade, big boy style.

Dave Shepard

I have a knife my grandfather gave me when I was twelve. I carried that knife everywhere, even to school, back when you didn't go to jail for such things (and it wasn't that long ago!). That knife was never more than five feet from me, ever. Well, I lost it brushcuttting at one of our customers when I worked for a landscaping company. I would go looking for it any chance I could. We also mowed this lawn weekly, and ate lunch there. Two summer later, doing the same brushcutting job, my coworker found the knife in the exact spot that I thought I had lost it. That knife stays in the office now!

My father lost his wedding ring in the hay pile. Looked for hours. Got someone in with a metal detector, nothing. The next spring, cleaning out the calf hutches, my sister saw it in the loader bucket just seconds before it got dumped in the spreader. The hutches get bedded with the loose chaff from the hay barn.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tomboysawyer

While I'd still really like to find my cell phone, I have one of those lost and found stories.

In 2004, we were clearing dense woodland for our future driveway (not far from where I lost my cell phone). I had been called to duty to help with our skid steer because my hand fits down into the chambers of the drive chain for the wheels to get something. I had to take my watch off because my hand hardly fits down there as it is (I always get scraped up). I put my watch on the strap for my overalls and went out in the woods cutting brush with my chain saw. Two hours later, when I went to clean up and put my watch back on, it wasn't on my overalls anymore but they had not come undone. I searched for days with my metal detector and could not find my watch.

Fast forward to 2006. Hubby is driving the dozer and filling back in where we failed to build our barn foundation (too wet) and he stops because he sees this shiny thing in the dirt. He thinks its part of the dozer (yet again) and picks it up.

What do ya know?! It's my watch. It's had to have been driven over and pushed around in the dirt by the dozer a hundred times and here it is:

Have to say, I've found many more knives than I've lost. But a good watch is hard to come by. I'd long since replaced this one, but I need to get it cleaned up because it was NOT cheap. I'll wear it again I'm sure.

Quartlow

When I lose it, it usually stays lost!! :D h though I have been carrying around Dads old case knife for years.

Dad Lost a timex plowing at my brothers one year, Brother turned it up the next year. It still works oh though the band was trashed. It's in the wifes jewelry box now for safe keeping
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Nomad

Got a very old Case, single blade, lock back knife from my Grandfather about 40 years ago.  Lost it while hunting, in a tumble on a hillside on snowshoes, about 5 years later.  I searched that hillside for hours, and back on and off for years.  Never did find that knife again.  Congrats to anyone who's been lucky enough to find something lost and sentimental like that!!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Faron

I got my first knife when I was 6 or 7.  It had belonged to my grandfather, and though I imagine it was a pretty cheap knife, I was very proud of it.  The second day I had it, I was at my other grandparents' farm.  They lived on the end of a gravel road at the top of a high hill.  I was standing in the road throwing my knife about four feet at a spot on the road bank.  I missed sticking the knife and it slid down the bank, and lo and behold slipped right into a crawfish hole I didn't know was there!  I heard it rattle around, bumping on the sides of the hole, and finally a muffled splash.  I was a pretty glum little boy.  Grandpa got a shovel and posthole digger and went after it for me. After he had dug for a while, I mentioned that I had heard it splash. :D  That ended the digging party, as it had to be at least 30 feet down, as that was the depth to the water in the well not far away.  I figured that crawfish lacked good sense, digging up on top of the hill like that. ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

metalspinner

I retrieved a Hot Wheels car out of a crawfish hole with a magnet on the end of a string. :D  It went down about 8'.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Steve

I lost my wallet while hunting on horseback way off the beaten path and over a year later it was sent back to me.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

logwalker

Now this one is a little strange. I was skipping school as a junior in high school and was tooling down a fairly busy road with two good buds in my '54 Ford. I saw a dark object on the roadway that looked like a wallet. I slowed down and opened my door to scoop it if it was of any value. I grabbed it and it was a wallet. It looked very familiar and it should have I guess. It was my own wallet with my ID and money in it. I did'n even know it was missing. Go figure. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Weekend_Sawyer

I found my favorite knife while canoeing down the Shenandoah river. I saw something shiny under a rope swing. I had brought my mask along and had a great time swimming and exploring the river bottom most of the trip. I put on my mask and went down and found a swiss army knife. This one is all stainless and if it had not been sitting with the red badge up I would have never found it. I also found a hand full of change, a pair of glasses and an unopened bottle of beer, still good.

I have lost and refound the knife twice so I have retired it.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

A couple of Easters ago when we were up to Chet's, Chet and I were coming back from somewhere and as I stepped out of the truck, I saw something in the melting snow in his driveway. I gave it a kick and there was this gold and wood grained folding knife. I picked it up and started picking the ice off from it and told Chet I had found one of his knives., Chet gave it a look and said, that aint mine. Then it dawned on me whose it was.  I had been up to Chet's the previous November and went out hunting once. We were parked where I was parked then. It was my Knive.  :D

This wasn't a keepsake knife, but it was my folding hunting knife I had for several years.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sparks

Lost my mind a few months ago. Still haven't found it. Been sharin' my wifes brain. It scarey in there. Sure hope I find mine soon. Startin' to want to shop alot. :o
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

When I worked for an oilwell service rig outfit I saw tthe owner(Bob) walking across the yard with Pete, who owned a company just as big which makes these guys worth about $20 million each. Pete sees a screwdriver on the ground and picks it up.
Bob says "thanks" and holds out his hand.
Pete says "Fiinders keepers" and sticks it in his pocket.
Bob "Its on my property"
Pete " I found it, I'm keepin' it"
Bob "Gimme that Dang screwdriver"
Pete "Nope"
Bob " You old $%%^&&^%$$$^8"

And thats how you become a Millionaire  ;D  ;D  ;D

Quartlow

Quote from: Sprucegum on May 22, 2007, 01:48:59 PM
And thats how you become a Millionaire  ;D  ;D  ;D

We got one of dem, Doc Snyder. bib top overhauls, gumboots and a wad of cash in his pocket.
Google model a parts and his business will be the first one after the sponsored links. heck of a nice guy but you can always tell when he walks up behind you since he squeaks so much  :D  :D  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

treebucker

One of my brothers was plowing a 35 acre field and lost his wallet. Two weeks later he was disking the same field. This field was divided by a shallow ditch he had to cross on each pass. He happen to see his wallet laying in the grass on one of the many crossings he had to make.

About the same year another brother loses his wallet while putting up hay in the fall. Early the next spring I was feeding two bird dogs we had in the barn. I paused to play with them a while and something shiny caught my eye in the dirt and hay on the floor. It was a quarter (a lot of money to a boy back then.) Then I spotted another quarter. So I dug around in the area and found some more change. Then I found a twenty dollar bill! Then I found some more twenties and some fives, tens and ones! I hit the jackpot! Then something caught my eye laying on top of the hay nearby...it was a chewed up wallet. I opened it and found my brother's drivers license. So I turned the treasure over to him. He recovered ever cent that was lost! Seems it fell onto the wagon and was pushed off when the loose hay was kicked off the wagon at the end of the season. The dogs had finally found it. Had it been left there any longer they would have eaten everything. My brother gave me a twenty. :) Not the only loaded wallet I've found but the most rewarding.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

sawguy21

One of our helicopter pilots returned from the Arctic with a weatherbeaten Winchester 92 he found on the tundra. It was complete except for some of the wood stock. We really wondered about the story behind that one. Did some Inuit hunter get careless and lose his lifeline? Did he die out there and scavengers carried the remains away?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

I have maybe the best lost and found story. Some of you know it but I love to tell it so you have to hear it again. :D

My senior year in high school in 1976 I transferred to a new school and I met Terry, my first love and soulmate but was too young and dumb to know it. So when I graduated in 1977 a year ahead of her I thought I had to go off and see the world like everyone said (don't marry the first girl you fall in love with; now i ask why not?) and so I did go off and see it. I lost touch with her when she went off to college and I was off painting the world red.
Fast forward to 2001.  After years of exxing out the pop ups I had finally joined Classmates.com For 2 years I looked for her name to show up in her class of 1978. Finally, in August of 2003 right before I was about to take my kids to Colorado for vacation her name showed up. My heart about jumped out of my chest and my eyes welled up.
This could be a real long story but I will compress it. Terry's best friend in high school was named Jayne. We used to all kid that if Jayne would marry me she would just have to add an "s" and she'd have my last name and she would be Jayne Jaynes. :) Anyway, in 1985 I moved back to the town in Texas where I was born but had only lived for a couple of years of my life. So when i moved mback I went to work for my dad running service calls for his AC and appliance business. One late afternoon i went to a call in the country to this big nice ranch house. To the door comes this woman who makes my heart miss a beat. It's Jayne! Terry's best friend. I had not seen her since HS in 77. She had just got married and they had moved to Bonham Texas of all places ON A WHIM! Niether had any relatives or friends here. They looked at the map for a nice country town and visted many over a period of months and chose our little podunk county. :o

I was married at this time and did not want to do it but could not but help ask about Terry and how was she doing? Well, they also had lost track of each other. Terry's husband had taken a job on the hill and that was the last she had heard some years ago. Lost in the Washington DC mire of humanity.

I will shorten this I doubt I have many readers left but it's hard to leave so much out but long story short our good frined Jayne died in April 2003. fast forward again to me seeing Terry's name on the Classmate roll. I swallowed hard and sent her a email through the site advising her that our good friend had passed away. Terry did not even know Jayne and I were in touch much less lived just minutes away from each other and had become lifelong frineds.

I kept it real businesslike i assumed she was happily married. Turns out she had been divorced 4 years (same time as me) and had never even been on a date!

I got am email back from her and she expressed her sadness about Jayne and of course had a ton of questions. I took my kids to Colorado for vacation and that whole week I could not get Terry off of my mind. Soon as I got back from Breckinridge I checked my email and there was one from Terry with the subject line "How was vacation?"

Wooohoooo! I knew then she wanted to talk about more than Jayne and soon we were on the phone and we had picked up right where we left off within days. No way I could have considered a relationship again with anyone but Terry. She says the same about me. We had a whirlwind re-courtship and on June 10th, my birthday (her idea) of 2004 i finally kept my promise to her. I had given her a promise ring for her birthday Dec 12th 1976. She would not let me put any other ring on her finger so I took it and added a little larger rock to it. Yep. She had kept my little promise ring all those years and i had kept my wallet-sized picture of us. ;D

Anyway, this June 10th on my birthday we will celebrate 3 years of bliss, and also 31 years of God putting us together the first time, me just being too STUPID to know it. thank God for second chances.  I didn't blow it this time! 8) 8) 8)

I realize this story jumped aroung alot and left many details out. Just was tryting to shorten it a little. ;D

Sorry I did not have a pocket knife story to share. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

thurlow

Okay, we need a poll..............best lost and found story;  I vote for Terry kevjay.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

treebucker

...and here we were talking about tangable things then all the sudden kevjay comes along with a love story smiley_love and next thing we know everyone goes all mushy smiley_crying  and no one cares what we were originally talking about.  :D whiteflag_smiley 

WTG kevjay!
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Sprucegum

Sounds like true love alright.......but ........ would ya let her use your favorite knife?  ;)  ;D

TexasTimbers

What a silly question. I would eat my favorite knife for her! 8)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: kevjay on May 23, 2007, 12:45:09 PM
What a silly question. I would eat my favorite knife for her! 8)

That does it! Now he's talking about eat'n... Why's every thread wind up with food on this forum?

TexasTimbers

FOOD! Someone say food? Where!?!?!?!?!?! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Radar67

I lost a twenty dollar bill while fueling up a few years back. I knew I had it when I got the gas, but it was no where to be found the next time I looked. Fast forward about a year. I was cleaning out my thread bare wallet, getting ready to change out to a new one and there's the twenty. It found it's way into an area between a piece of cloth and the interior of the wallet. I still can't figure out how it made the transfer, but I found it.  :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

I lose at least a twenty EVERY time I go to get gas.......Think I may find them next year if I clean out my wallet......?? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

I've heard the only thing you will find in your wallet are "moths".  :D :D :D So probably not.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Haytrader

Viet Nam 1969.This Zippo wasn't lost for very long.
I was walking point this day and my lighter somehow dropped in a stream we were crossing. One of the guys behind me saw something shiny in the water and picked it up. It is a wonder the stream was clear enough after several soldiers had stirred the mud bottom. AND, I was certainly not going to go back and look. ;)
Haytrader

DWM II

I lost my pocket knife and found it but its a dull story compared to love lost and found and a zippo in Vietnam.  ;)
Stewardship Counts!

Thank You Sponsors!