iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild Hog Dinner

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 17, 2014, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

It started out as a wild hog hunt last weekend.

I took a ham and shoulder and made up a brown shugar, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper rub.

Put it in the BGE for about 6 hours. I go ahead and put the meat on the smoker at 190 or so degrees and let it slowly come up to 280 - 300 degrees. When the meat reaches 150 internal I wrap it in foil. When it reaches 190 - 200 internal I pull it off, wrap the foil wrapped meat in towels and let it sit for at least an hour. 

Then when you unwrap the meat pour off and save the juice. It contains very little fat and is a great flavoring. I then pulled the meat apart, put it on a platter and poured some of the juice back over the meat.

The shoulder and ham tasted the same and had the same texture. I did notice that the ham was darker.

A pot o beans simmered on the wood stove most of the morning went well with the meat. Mmmm good!

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

goose63

Week_Sawyer you are making hungry I gotta get down to Texas and get one of them big hogs fudd-smiley digin_2 smiley_beertoast
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

luvmexfood

Sure looks good. I often wondered how wild boar would taste. None in our neck of the woods. Those beans look good too.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: goose63 on March 17, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
Week_Sawyer you are making hungry I gotta get down to Texas and get one of them big hogs fudd-smiley digin_2 smiley_beertoast

How Big a Hog does it take to feed a North Dakotan?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SLawyer Dave

MMM, looks good.  Even my wife, who generally hates all game meat, loves wild pig.  Lost my prime hunting location a few years ago when a death caused the land to be sold.  Gotta find me some new ground to hunt.  Just seeing that feast makes my mouth start a waterin. 

Magicman

Looked lip smakin' good Jon.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

there were 10 for dinner that night. Everyone agreed this pork tasted better than store bought.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

goose63

How Big a Hog does it take to feed a North Dakotan?  say_what
[/quote]
Well there is 15 that live with in 2 miles of me might take a big one :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!