iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What sort of sprayer

Started by Dana Stanley, May 28, 2019, 07:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

I have read here folks spray transmission fluid on their mill to prevent rust. Just wondering what you use for a sprayer? Spray bottles, garden sprayer? Seems like it would be kinda thick to spay; do you thin it out? Thanks
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

John Bartley

I have had my mill for more than eleven years.  I have never covered the bed or sprayed it with anything.  I have a nylon cover for the power head to keep water and snow off the motor and band drives, but that's all. 

Obviously it's your choice, but I wouldn't want to work around the oily surfaces and risk getting the lumber oily.  Personally I wouldn't do it.

ymmv,

cheers!
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

WDH

I use a spray bottle with a lever handle like this one:

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

I use it to spray the rail and mast on my LT40 with transmission fluid to keep them lubricated. I found mine at a NAPA auto parts store.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I do the same as Danny with the simple spray bottle. Works for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

The bottle that I use has a wide mouth for easier refilling:  BOTTLE LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

learn something new all the time.  I always used a brush to apply atf
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

I use ATF on my mill, I apply it with a rag when I put it on the main rails!

When there is a moving part on the mill that doesn't have a zerk fitting, I use a bottle with a short length of small diameter tubing to oil them.  The lift chains for the sawhead get oiled by applying ATF at the top of the chain and letting it run down the length of it!  When I oil the feed chain, I apply it with a rag!

I don't cover the mill with ATF!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Bartley

I guess I have a super simple mill.  There is nothing to grease.  It's all sealed bearings, and I annually use a grease hypo to inject grease in the bearings.  Otherwise, all that's exposed is the rails .... there's nothing to oil on mine.

I understand that we don't bathe the mill with oil.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on May 28, 2019, 10:31:47 AMI don't cover the mill with ATF!
Neither do I.  Just squirt what moves or slides.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana Stanley

Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

btulloh

Just might turn out to be a happy mistake. Claim credit for innovation. Otherwise blame someone else.
HM126

Woodpecker52

Paint brush works great! if a spray bottle use the ones in the vet section of tractor supply, hold up better!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Revival Sawmill

I use the orchid misting sprayer bottles from Lowe's; holds about half-gallon, you pump a piston on the top and then just mash a button to spray.  adjustable spray pattern, no thinning required!

Dana Stanley

So it sounds like moving parts, and tracks only. Spray, brush, rag, drip whatever works! Thanks, I think Ill get the spray bottle from HD or tractor supply!
Woodland Mills HM-126

Crusarius

anyone try those sprayers with anchorseal? The brush thing gets really old.

doc henderson

The anchorseal is so thick.  I tried lowes style pump up sprayers and could only get a fine pencil lead size stream.  I use and electric airless from harbor freight.  let it stay full of the stuff for a year and works fine.  AS literature tells you that you can clean equipment, but you do not have to.  I tries rollers but left so much on the ground, in the pan and roller it was a waste. esp. if doing a single log.  I leave my set up outside in warmer weather.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

is anchroseal 2 thinner? I meant to say I have anchorseal 2.

doc henderson

I do not think so, because they want the layer to be thick, and not run off.  you can sure try it, but the stuff is sticky an so you tend to waste a bit, each time you try a new container.  It is water based so you could thin it but they will caution you about effectiveness being thickness dependent.  I love gadgets and convenience so got the 20 % off coupon, and got the sprayer.  I may try my hand at reconstituting some of the wax with hot water.  any tech questions, you can call US coatings and ask for tech people in the lab.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

AS2 has 1/2 the wax to reduce cost and it is replaced with organic proteins and such, to keep the viscosity up.

Crusarius

doc henderson

on the wood or in the can?  they can add pigment and antifreeze, could call and see about adding some bleach

Crusarius

on the wood. I have not had the can open since last year. it may be moldy in there to. may need to check that. I have some walnut I am saving that will need to get coated.

doc henderson

i liked the coating I got with the roller, but if you use it only weekly or so you waste a bunch of a fairly costly product.  It works well and the company is helpful.  I used a thin liner in my pan, and would pour back left over, but it is so thick i felt i was tossing out as much as i used.  in the liner, roller, and usually got some on the round if i overloaded the roller.  The sprayer is fun and I just leave it on/in the bucket.

doc henderson

My maple is prone to fungus, you might take a photo and post and we can see what @GeneWengert-WoodDoc thinks.  what kind of log and situation surrounding the mold.

Crusarius

all of my logs. red oak hickory walnut. I bet anything its the organic materials that are molding. it looks like mold that would form on something in the refrigerator. 

Thank You Sponsors!