iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with Hickory?

Started by WoodenHead, January 09, 2014, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I'm curious as to what people do with their hickory logs.  A logger friend has a couple nice ones coming to me he says.  They'll be cut to about 17/18 feet long so I can halve them if I wish.  Do you slab them?Make flooring out them?  5/4? 4/4?  I assume I should saw them as green as possible?

LeeB

Flooring and cabinet work comes to mind. Getting it to dry straight can be a little tough. I would consider 5/4 although it can be tough on equipment once dry.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 09, 2014, 08:56:39 AMFirewood. 
I am glad that I don't have to split it.   :-\

I will saw Hickory for customers, but I would not want any for myself.  Some deals are not necessarily good deals, and just because it is available does not mean that you have to accept it.  Especially if you do not have an immediate use for the lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

I would only saw hickory if I had a customer who wanted it, or if I needed some for stock.  5/4 will allow some extra to accommodate warping and cupping.  As noted above, it is hard on equipment.  Sawing green with a good band is helpful.  If you have never had problems with waviness, get ready.  For all this, hickory makes beautiful cabinets, furniture, and flooring.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

dboyt

Hickory's toughness makes it a good choice for hammer, axe, and other handles (have you priced a wood cant hook handle lately?), baseball bats & drum sticks.  I wouldn't saw it up unless you know you have a market it for it.  As sure as you cut it 5/4, someone will want 6/4!  Very pretty wood, identical to pecan, which is actually a hickory species.  Other than that, a lot of folks around here chip it up for the barbeque.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

LeeB

I don't find it to be identical to pecan. To me pecan has more color and tends to have a reddish tint to it. I prefer the look of pecan over hickory.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GAB

To me the hickory bark seems to dull blades very quickly almost as if it is high in silica.  So I saw it such that I can get my blade entering fresh wood and coming out of the bark as quickly as possible.  The smoothbark hickory I think is worst, than the shagbark.

As far as splitting wood goes if the splitter can't handle it, then I use the sawmill.  I will get it down to wood stove size one way or another.  Fixturing, to use the sawmill, can be a challenge, but so is life.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mmartone

We have quarter sawn some and flat sawn, air drying and looking pretty flat, gorgeous.

Hoping it stays mostly flat.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

thecfarm

I hope it stays flat too. Pretty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

Thanks for the responses. 

Is there any benefit to quarter sawing to minimize drying defects?  Should I kiln dry it green or air-dry first (or only)?  Is it likely to twist?

My wife would like some cabinets (for laundry and stuff).  But if it is nasty stuff, maybe I should consider narrow width flooring instead. 

woodmills1

firewood

sell boards, years later customer complains it is still moving
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

arkansas

Hickory can be worked, but like said it is a pain.   

not the best but I like it and it works for intended purpose.  Wife does not, to heavy to change room around?
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

kelLOGg

This is flooring in my office from a dead hickory. The worm holes add to the beauty. I shed dried it followed by kiln drying, ripped it to size and had it T&Ged. I would jump at the chance to get some more. 

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Nomad

There's more than one flavor of hickory.  None are easy, but some are worse than others.  I cut a lot of it for customers; never done any for myself.  Not exactly one of my favorite woods to saw.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

YellowHammer

I hate (really hate) sawing hickory, but it sells fast around here for $3.50 per bdft.  I saw it 4/4 + thick, kiln dry it, sort the nasties to the cull stack (sell them at $1/bdft) skip plane the rest and sell it all day long.  The patterns are striking and most of the people use it for rustic trestle top tables.  I've got a guy driving almost 100 miles this weekend to buy some.  Its pretty hard on the planer, too.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

Plain sawn 4/4 for flooring, saw for grade,  q-saw clear for handles.  Hickory gets a bad wrap, and rightly so, but it has lots of character, and might show yours by the time you finish sawing.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Mountain Guardian

LOL...... Someone else that uses their mill to cheat on firewood....  I have a bunch of old gnarly knots and y's that I cut into firewood lengths and then slab into 3 inch slabs for firewood, beats the heck out of splitting it.

beenthere

QuoteI have a bunch of old gnarly knots and y's that I cut into firewood lengths

I leave those lay right on the ground, and just drop a chainsaw cut or two through them. That way, no lifting and no clamping needed. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

mmartone
if you are hoping to keep your hick flat and straight, you need more stickers. the first stick should be about 2" in from the end, then every 12"- 14" after that. make sure you have base support under every row of stickers.

for me hickory make good firewood  ;Dor its really nice wood someone else has to deal with :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

dgdrls

Saw it green and get the bark off or lead the band with a debarker.
sticker it and weight it down tight.
The first Hickory I sawed was full of tension

Others can speak to it better than I but, I think Hickory and Pecan is best sawn
with a 4-7 deg band.

DGDrls

Greg Brown

This is a hickory kitchen cabinet job I did.  I ALWAYS make sure I have all my cutter blades and saws good and sharp before doing hickory.

Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Delawhere Jack

Figure how long it would take to mill an oak log the same size, and then double the time. It's about like sawing concrete. I found some of the best figured crotch wood I've milled in hickory. Can't tell you about how it dried as I'm a love'm (get paid) and leave'm type sawyer.  ;)

gfadvm

I have read all the comments about pecan and hickory being difficult to dry straight and flat. We have a LOT of standing dead hickory and pecan in my area. Is standing dead better/worse than green in terms of warping, twisting, etc?

Sawdust Lover

You may see sparks come off the blade. I tried to saw some dead hickory a few months ago and it ended up in the firewood pile.

Thank You Sponsors!