iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well now I did it. The sawmill build has begun.

Started by Crusarius, July 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I ordered the 22 hp predator engine from harbor freight today. Now there is no going back. I think tomorrow I need to call Linn Lumber back and order the rest of the parts.

Let the sawdust addiction begin...

Does anyone use the Linn Lumber spring loaded log clamps? I am toying with the idea of using them. They look pretty sweet in the video's

drobertson

I have no idea on the loaders, but many folks have gone the Linn route with very good success.  I say go a bit more heavy than light, and plan on using off the shelf bearings and stuff.   Not sure of your basic design, but I may suggest in regards to your bed rails, rather than going with a fixed welded approach, consider using rails that you can line up with threads and lock nuts, just a thought. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Crusarius

Planning on a trailer build. Figured since steel comes in 24' lengths I would do 24' bed with no seams. If I want longer I will make another section that pins together like you said. I like that idea a lot.

drobertson

sounds like you have a plan,, its been awhile since I've bought steel, but from years in the trade, it seems I remember those 24' sections with some kind of bow,,regardless of the shape.  Channel, I-beams, angle and tubing. Its great for frames, and with lots of care and some kind of proper tacking and welding, they can be brought back straight.  Other wise I would design a frame, then an adjustable bed rail to compensate for any bow that may show up.. a bit more cost, but in the end, lots fewer issues to deal with.  WMZ has a good idea with their design, IMO.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Crusarius

The only time i Have noticed any bow is when I have it sitting on something without the end supported. I will definitely take a real close look at that though.

I was considering making the rail bolt on. that way when I drop a log on it and wreck it then its easy to replace. And a lot easier to align.

Thanx for the input.

Remle

Quote from: Crusarius on July 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM
I ordered the 22 hp predator engine from harbor freight today. Now there is no going back. I think tomorrow I need to call Linn Lumber back and order the rest of the parts.

Let the sawdust addiction begin...

Does anyone use the Linn Lumber spring loaded log clamps? I am toying with the idea of using them. They look pretty sweet in the video's
My neighbor has a Linn mill, the spring log clamps work well, also recommend the hdy tightener..

Crusarius

yes. definitely going that route. Right now I am looking at the basic kit with HD 2 groove clutch, raise and lower kit, and spring clamps. Then build the rest.

Ox

I use the spring clamps on my Linn Lumber homemade mill.  They've held everything I've ever needed just fine.  The mill is designed well and has performed good for me.  If I had it to do all over again I would go with the cam lock type clamps like the Boardwalk mills have on them.  Quick, simple, rugged.  The spring clamps are simple and rugged too, just probably not quite as quick.  We're talking a few seconds only, really, but there it is for you to peruse. \

I could be happier with the backstops but then again if I could do it over it would have the Boardwalk clamps and the backstop would follow the clamp.  The backstops are very simple and function perfect - they're just slower compared to others.

Don't be in a rush if you can help it and take your time to get everything as perfect as humanly possible is the only advice I'll give ya.  Once she's welded all together it's hard to straighten it.  Good luck.  And hopefully you're not dyslexic like me and you won't hafta weld and cut all apart the sawframe 3 different times!  >:( :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

I did read your sawmill build and I really felt bad for that. I am hoping I won't make those mistakes but I am sure I will. Thats ok though. building it is half the fun.

You are not very far from me. Want a visitor? Would love to look at your mill.

Ox

I'm guessing you're about 2.5 to 3 hours away.  That's a lot of driving to look at a mill (for me), but you're welcome to come on if ya want to!  Send me a PM if ya still feel like it. 

I'm not doing any milling again for several months because I've run out of covering materials, my stacks are drying now for a porch build and we don't have any money for new covering due to medical bills and such piling up so there won't be any real milling but I could probably throw an old black locust up on there just to give you a feel and taste of the mill if ya want.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

That sure would be nice. Love to get a good look at the Linn stuff before ordering it. UNfortunately my schedule is insane till september.

How do you feel about sundays?

Ox

It's just another day to us.  Come on if you're coming.  :laugh:

Crusarius

I will let you know. This saturday the 8th is my Bday party. I may be up for a ride sunday.

bandmiller2

At least to start with make everything adjustable level and plumb. If a band mill is built and setup level it makes everything much easier to adjust. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Crusarius

I know I have seen ppl say not to use trailer jacks for legs but that may be the route I go. I like the quick and easy adjustability. Especially in my nice soft clay soil.

Ox

Trailer jacks is what's holding my mill up out of the dirt.  6 of them.  Cleaned out the whole county and the next county Tractor Supply stores of them when I needed them.  I screwed 3 red pine 4x4s   sprayed down with used motor oil on the bottom of the jack shoes.  The only drawback is these jacks might could cause the mill to rock front to back just a bit in perfect situations but 99.9% of the time it's steady and solid.  Even though the locking pin is in the jack can still move on the swivel a bit.  All I can say is I wouldn't change a thing with the jacks.  Works for me.

Crusarius

I was thinking about angling the jacks very slightly to fight that little rock you were talking about.

Ox

How about figuring out a way to clamp the swivel plate tight to keep anything from moving?  Maybe drill a hole through the two plates and tighten down a nut and bolt there clamping it tight and preventing any movement.

Crusarius

Simple set screw would work find for that. Will keep that in mind when I get to that point.

I was also concerned about the lifting leg shaft wiggling inside the jack sleeve.

paul case

I bet it would make it harder for them to rock with a 2' long oak 2x6 bolted to the foot.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ox

That's what I did with the 4x4s I mentioned earlier.  They're running between pairs of jacks width wise to the mill.  Screwed down and all made everything pretty sturdy.

Don't worry about a little wiggling.  Won't hurt nothing.  It'll settle into the dirt a little and stiffen up.  Just make sure she's straight and true and not flexing and she'll cut straight for ya.

Or not use trailer jacks.  Beats me...

Crusarius

Tracking says engine should be here Monday. Now I really need to order the rest of the stuff. Ox I am trying to figure out if I will be up to visiting you Sunady after my bday party on saturday. Not sure how I will feel.

bandmiller2

I would think cross bracing would stiffen up the trailer jacks. It would take a few minutes to install but braces attached with muffler clamps would likely turn the trick. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ox

Crusarius - you better hold off until a better day.  The day after a birthday and imbibing in some cold beer is a day that should be scheduled for rest.  If it were me I'd be saying, "Sorry but my birthday is the day before and there's gonna be beer and barbeque and buds."  Say no more.  ;) :D

Crusarius

Looks like everyone I wanted to come is bailing.

Want to come? bring the mill? :)

Thank You Sponsors!