iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar Seems to Wander/Twist when Bucking? What am I doing Wrong?

Started by tim1234, September 23, 2006, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

It seems every time I am bucking my logs for firewood I can never keept the bar straight.  It always seems to wander or want to twist a little.  I keep my chains sharp.  I assume it is something in my techniqe.  Any hints.

BTW.  I just bought a Husky 455 Rancher.  Any comments on this saw.   I really only cut wood for myself....firewood and felling dead trees in my 2 acre yard.

Thanks for the help

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

sawguy21

Are the left and right cutters sharpened equally? All should be the same length and angles.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I'd also suspect the angle of the teeth are different one side vs the other. Also, would suspect the sharpness of the teeth. Sometimes it is hard for some people to tell when they are really sharp. My good friend was showing me his saw that he had just filed after hitting a stone. He had quit sharpening way too soon, thinking that a couple strokes would do it, and the fact that the top of the tooth was gone, wouldn't make any difference. I suggested at least another 1/16" off at least each damaged tooth would be necessary, but that getting each tooth all the same length would be most important. I think at that point he had forgotten how good a sharp chain could cut.

Did the new saw (455) cut the same curve as the old one?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Hi Tim

Uneven teeth on the chain is the most likely, have a good look / resharpen or maybe get a new chain to try. Having a spare is a good thing anyway.

If that makes no difference then the bar may be worn. Have you flipped it over and tried it upside down ? If yes then it's probably got the rails worn unevenly, that can be fixed by dressing the bar with a grinder or file. Sawshop should be able to do it for a few bucks. After a few dressings the bar will be worn down too much and it's time for a new one.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

leweee

What everyone has said....plus check that the chain gauge matches the bar gauge. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

tim1234

All,

Thanks for the replies.  It is an old chain and I have worked the saw pretty hard.  I sharpened the chain this afternoon and noticed it is worn pretty well.  I'll check the bar too.  In parallel I started looking for a new chain and that seems to be a concensus that an new chain would be a good idea.

The Husky 455 is on its way.  Should be able to try it on Wednesday.  I have an old Mucouloch (sp) 20" timber bear.  It is aptly named as it is a BEAR to start.  When it did start it cut well.  I'm anxious to see how the husky compares.   The husky has the latest engine technology so I have high hopes.

Thanks again.

Tim

ladylake

Tim
Have you been filing the rakers down?  If they're to high it could cause the chain to tip one way or the other. They should be around 20 thousands lower than the top of the teeth.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Qweaver

I have a 455 and like it.  I've heard some claim it is heavy compaired to other saws in the same class.  Mine starts easily and has plenty of power and the weight seems OK to me.
After a lot of use I had the same problem of the saw cutting a curve. It turned out to be uneven wear on the bar.  A little time draw filing the bar back to 90 deg. fixed it for me.  I don't know why it wore out of square...maybe it the way I hold the saw because it also happened to my Poulan.  Anyway a file fixes it.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawguy21

Uneven wear on the bar is often the result of forcing a dull chain. When the chips start shrinking, it's time to stop and grab a coffee and a file. Also, if the chain is run too loose, the bar will take a beating.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

parrisw

he he he, can't imagine someone complaining about the wieght of a 455 :D, I run a 394 and a 288, also for bar wear, check your oiler to make sure its oiling properly.

jacob j.

A severely worn sprocket, especially a spur sprocket, can cause crooked cutting as well.

tim1234

I got the 455 Rancher last night.  Put the 20" bar and chain on and read the manual (yes I actually read it!!).  Tried it out this evening.  I bucked a 50' long 2' diameter ash into 22" lengths.  The saw starts like a dream.  A breath of fresh air compared to the Timber Bear. 

It is a very nice saw.  The anit-vibe handles are great.  It cuts nice, but I think it is a little under powered.  I can bog it down pretty easy, but if I let it cut it at it's own pace it works pretty good.  Ash is pretty hard and I know there are different sharpening recommendations for hardwood vs. softwood so I am wondering if that will make a difference.  I'm not getting the long stringy chips but confetti like chips.  I do have the husky roller sharpener and am considering touching up the chain tomorrow to tackle a sencond larger ash.

Got to rent a splitter this weekend and stack the wood for next winter in my brand new double wide woodrack. 14' long, 5' high with a 6/12 roof sitting on concrete piers. 

I also sharpened up the echo CS-300.  I bought the depth gauge as recommended above.  Seems to cut much better now.  Regarding uneven bar wear, the Husky manual suggests flipping the bar daily.  Does anyone really do this?  just curious.

Tim

Max sawdust

Quote from: tim1234 on September 28, 2006, 09:17:07 PM
Regarding uneven bar wear, the Husky manual suggests flipping the bar daily. Does anyone really do this? just curious.

Congrats on the new saw.  Sure if you are running the saw 8 hours a day flip daily is great, but I do not quite follow that.  When working the saw hard, I will touch up the chain with every tank or two of gas and flip the bar a couple of times a week.  I will also grind my raker's when I have the chain off to flip and file the burrs off the bar.   
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Ianab

I dont make a point of flipping the bar, but when I have it off to clean things out properly I try and put it back on the other way up. The bar has 2 sides, you want to get full use out of both of em  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawTroll

The 455 is a heavy chunk of plastic for its power, but I guess that it otherwise is a quite nice saw.
For a 2 acre yard/firewood I guess that the weight isn't a big issue.
Information collector.

solodan

I am with Ian on this one, I just put my bar on the other way after I have it off. Or some days I just back bar all my cuts ;)

beenthere

I flip the bar when I switch chains, which is done to go through two chains for one drive sprocket.

When sawing for firewood, I use the top of the bar to cut almost as much as the bottom. The chips go away from me, for one thing. The wood doesn't try to climb the bar, for another. And the top cuts just as well as the bottom  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

I usually flip them every day, after cutting for 2-5 hours (I am definately not a pro), and use the raker file to remove edges/burrs as needed.
I know that I am overdoing it a bit, but "too" often is far better than too seldom.... 8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!