iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting pitch in a solar kiln.

Started by Dave Shepard, August 31, 2014, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Can it be done? I've got a bunch of nice EWP air drying at the mill yard, and I'd like to be able to dry it and set the pitch. I've seen too many times when someone uses air dried pine for something interior and the pitch pours out of it eventually.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

You will be able to set the pitch up to the temperature that the kiln can achieve. If the wood later gets heated to above that temp, the remaining pitch can still liquefy. But you can get a pretty good temp in a solar kiln on a hot day, with the vents closed up, and that temp wont harm a load of dry wood.

So I would suggest a day of "baking" at the end of the drying process. Close the vents and just run the fans. You may not get things to the same level as a high temp commercial kiln can, but the pitch wont liquefy again in normal conditions.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

I'm thinking I might set up a kiln on  trailer, so I can move it near my OWB. How hot can I run a Modine hanging heater? Do you think they will take 160°? I was thinking of having several solar kilns near the mill, and then moving it to the trailer for finishing. Also, any hardwood that I would dry I could store in the kiln, as I don't have a building to keep dry lumber in yet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed many kiln operations have a separate chamber for stress relief and use the same chamber for setting the pitch.  For EWP, no less that 12 hours at 160 F is suggested for 6/4 and thinner.  Longer for 8/4.  A solar kiln may reach 160 F for a brief period (many will not reach that except in a rare instance), but the lumber will not get this hot in just a few hours.  I suggest that you need another chamber.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

Gene,

Did you notice the request for info regarding education above?

Den

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red oaks lumber

dave
the modine can handle the temp, the boiler will need to be set closer to 200 deg.to keep pulling heat off to raise the temp in the kiln.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

YellowHammer

I can't consistently sterilize in my solar kiln, although it regularly hits 145° F to 155° F; I just don't think it stays at the elevated temps long enough.  I would think that some kind of auxiliary heat, as you are contemplating, to keep the daytime temps elevated at night would be the solution to set pitch. 

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dave Shepard

I guess if I'm going to build a sterilization chamber on a trailer so I can move it to my house, I might as well do the whole load there. I could build some small buildings with some solar capacity to keep the dry lumber dry. I don't see myself needing to dry a lot of lumber right now. Maybe a 4'x4'x16' lift of pine would be the biggest package. Maybe make the chamber long enough to put two 8' lifts in side by side.I have a 20' gooseneck trailer that I could build a chamber on. I could even make the chamber removable.

pineywoods

I can't speak for other solar kilns. They may not get hot enough. Mine does.
8)  8)  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

You might have a latitudinal advantage. Hmm, spellcheck liked latitudinal, but not spellcheck. :D I didn't know it was a word.

YellowHammer

Quote from: pineywoods on September 01, 2014, 07:04:38 PM
I can't speak for other solar kilns. They may not get hot enough. Mine does.
True enough, mine is the classic Va Tech design with 2 layers of clear poly roofing material, Pineywoods uses a corrugated metal collector attached to the rafters, I believe.   

I also agree that the latitudinal and regional effects play a role in the amount of usable heat generated per collector area, especially in the winter. 
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It will be nearly impossible in a solar kiln to reach the temperatures required for the length of time required to set the pitch well.  Auxiliary heat, including a DH compressor, can be used to achieve the temperatures, or , as suggested, an auxiliary chamber can be used.

When setting pitch or sterilizing, it is the temperature in the core of the wood that is the key, not the air temperature.

Regarding storage of dry lumber, a tight building (use plastic vapor barriers, especially for the floor) that is dark colored walls and roof, so you get some solar heating, is all that is required.  A small fan to slowly stir the air is also required.  No need to have clear panels.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!