iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening a Micro-chain...

Started by mrcaptainbob, April 02, 2013, 10:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

Was talking with my son this weekend and he mentioned having to get his Micro chain sharpened. I told him I'd do it. But.....I have the regular chain that came on the MS310 w/20" bar. Since I'm using my electric saw chain sharpener, is it okay to do that Micro also? Are all angles the same except for wheel thickness?

Lnewman

Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

AdkStihl

As in RMC (Rapid Micro Comfort) ?
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

What ,"rapid pico " ?All it is is 3/8" lo profile with a chisel cutter .File it just like a regular chisel chain only use a 5/32" file .

mrcaptainbob

We'll be talking tomorrow eve. I'll find out more about what kind of chain it is....

mad murdock

Mebbe some you use it on some new "micro chainsaw"? use a large 10x magnifying glass and jewelers files for sharpening? :D :D  Prolly just lo pro chain, as Al said, 5/32" file.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

I don't know exactly what the gentleman is refering to with "micro" .Might be lo profile chisel ,could be that carbide tipped stuff which is made for people who don't know how to file or could be trim the apple tree in the back yard semi chisel guard chain .

mrcaptainbob

Talked with him today and, yep, I FINALLY remembered! It's on a Mini-Boss. I know nothing about them except that it's a Stihl....

Al_Smith

What pray tell is a mini boss?

Now if this thing is an old duffer it could possible have 1/4" chain which is no problem .Just file it like any other chain .

Fact about a month ago I found another gem at the dealers ,early 70's Stihl 015 which uses 1/4" chain .It went to my wifes cousin who has back problems .Being a light saw he has no problems operating it .

dGarnier

its a stihl 180 - nice and light real nice for working on deer habitat projects
love being in the woods with a gun or a chainsaw

joe_indi

think its a 63PMN (Picco Micro Mini) chain, 3/8" 1.1mm low profile.
That was the recommended chain for the 017 when it was first introduced, and later for the 018.
3/8 1.3 Picco Micro could also be used but, the 63PMN was the one recommended to be more suitable.
If its a 63PMN is easily recognized by the folded/bent depth gauges.
You will need a 4mm saw file if its this one.

Joe

Al_Smith

Aha the mystery revealed at last .Commonly known as 3/8" low profile .043 driver .

mrcaptainbob

I will check with my son on this info. Thanks for helping....

Thank You Sponsors!