iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minor Problem with 2005 LT15

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 08, 2018, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Today, I had an issue where my mill wouldn't go forward.  I discovered that the felt pad that I guess cleans the main track on the operator side had completely come off and was interfering with the roller bearings.  I had noticed this coming off and called Wood Mizer about it.  They told me not to worry about it, that it wasn't really necessary.  So I started back cutting after I took it out.  Well, then I started getting buildup of sawdust on the track.  My question is whether that was a problem because of the absence of the pad or if the white plastic scraper is worn out and not cleaning off the track.  Maybe it's combination of both.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OffGrid973

Not sure if it's proper protocol but I moved those out of the way day 1 on my LT-10 and never looked back.  Keep the rails clean is just part of the process, along with bark that stops the mill from rolling.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Brad_bb

I keep mine on my LT15 there wiping.  The way to fix it is to have a high quality super glue on hand.  Not your average box store superglue mind you, but wood worker quality.  I use FastCap's 2P-10 system.  They have a more highly refined cyanoacrylate(superglue) that comes in thin, medium, thick, and gel.  You should use the Activator spray too.  You can harden in in seconds.  So I use the medium most often.  Pull your bracket off( or do it in place), and hold the felt in position, apply a good dab of glue, and spray it with the activator.  Easy-fixed!  For the small pads there are holes you can apply the glue through.  For the log pad do as the factory did or use holes if you have them.  Trust me, you will find a million uses for the high quality superglue.  It lasts much longer than box store stuff and works better.  I buy it in the large bottle.  They have a starter kit though that includes a small activator, and debonder.

Also if you lose the felt, sometimes you can find the same kind at the farm store like farm and fleet or Tractor supply.  I'm sure you could find it on the web too.  Not sure if a craft store would carry it that thick.  Maybe.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

firefighter ontheside

I hadn't thought of CA to put it back on.  I will get some quality CA and put it back on. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Before I saw and while my engine is warming up, I remove the metal cover over the felt and soak it in ATF.
Then blow out the sawdust around the rollers, put the cover back on and I'm ready to go.Takes about 3 minutes.

If that felt gets to dry it will surely roll up on ya under the cover and start holding saw dust.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

firefighter ontheside

That sounds like good advice.  Thanks Widehead.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

scully

If you keep that felt lubed with ATF it makes a big difference . You won't get build up on the rail and the head travels much smoother . Like Wide head said takes 3 min.
I bleed orange  .

sparks

I'd like to know who told you they were not necessary. They are there for a reason. To keep the rail clean. If you can remember who you talked to let me know. Sounds like a little more training is required.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

firefighter ontheside

I appreciate your concern, Sparks.  The best I could do is to tell you it was a he.  I had called sometime in October right after I got the mill.  I didn't get around to using it until now.  Technically I'm the third owner of the mill and it's a 2005 model.  Does WM offer a factory replacement?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Well, the felt pads are glued back on and I cleaned the guide bearings.  Soaked the pads with ATF and now she slides smoothly again.  Thanks for all the help.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

I'm just afraid when they come off again, the ATF will not allow you to re-glue them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2018, 08:12:47 PM
I'm just afraid when they come off again, the ATF will not allow you to re-glue them.

You'd probably have to clean it with Alcohol or Purple Drank.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2018, 08:12:47 PM

Could be. If they come off again, I'll find a new replacement.
The purple drank could be a good time though.  Probably shouldn't drink it while operating the mill though.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You do know that metal cover has 3 tabs on it that punches through the felt and then bend the tabs over to hold the felt.
Personally i would never glue mine.  :)

Brad_bb

Mine on my 2014 LT15 does not, just glue.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

firefighter ontheside

The metal cover on mine has 3 holes thru it, but no way to hold the felt on.  Wasn't sure what the holes were for.  The pieces were glued on previously.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sparks

We do not sell the felt separate of the assembly. You should be able to find it locally. The sizes are 3/16" x 1" x 6.25" and 3/16" x 1" x 13" and 3/16" x 1" x 22"
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

Felt in various thickness is sold by Grainger and McMaster Carr.  There is some on ebay, but it's not as organized to find the thickness and strips or sheets you're looking for.

Woodpecker52

I put 2 beads of ATF down the felt length and blow it off at the end of the day.  I also added brushes to the ends to move more sawdust from the rails.  One thing I also added which has really worked and I no longer have to scrape my belts anymore is simple brushes that just lightly touch the free ends of the belts.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WV Sawmiller

WP52,

I like that idea about the brush cleaning the belts. I may have to see about adding something like that. Its so common sense it makes you wonder why it isn't just a normal part of the mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!