iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Buck

Started by Tom, August 16, 2001, 10:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This is stretching it to put this in "outdoor activities" but.....

I just returned from lunch with a couple of my 'old timers' and surprised a 6 or 8 point buck at my grape arbor.  Biggest deer I've seen here since I've lived here.  

He saw me, turned and ran, head to the ground, tail in the air about 20 feet down the road, turned east, jumped the ditch and disappeared.  

I don't have one grape left and, doggoneit, I was looking forward to eating them myself.  Might have venison next week if my wife's back is turned long enough.

Gordon

Tom I've heard that if you plant clover they will stay away. :D :D :D

Oh yea and a salt block as well will keep them away. ;D ;D ;D

Same thing happens here they can really eat you out of your garden quickly.
Gordon

Kevin

Tom, I know you`re a plant guy but what species of deer was it?
We have whitetails here.

CHARLIE

Kevin, let me give you an honest answer before Tom gets back. ;D  The deer in Florida are whitetails, but in Tom's original note, a BIG Florida deer translates to,  looks like a Great Dane with horns.  :D :D :D  Now if you want some REAL Genuinely big, cornfed, whitetails come to Minnehaha. If you patrol the roads there are a bunch you can pick up for next to nothing.::)   I read an article the other day where Minnehaha has about 20,000 reported deer road kills per year and about 40,000 unreported. The average repair bill to a car after attacking a deer is $3000.

I reckon I've changed the subject a bit here so I'll just continue. I've studied the roadkill phenomena and found the cause. You see.....the Minnehaha deers see these cars coming back from Colorado with elk and muley's tied to their fenders. The Minnehaha deer think those deer are just catching a free ride, so that's what they want to do also. That's how they get killed......They're just trying to hop onto a fender for a ride.???

All seriousness aside though, Hey Tom!!!  A couple of things will discourage deer from your grapes. Get some dog hair from a grooming shop and put it in some net bags (maybe some of your old pantyhose would work) and hang it in the area. Human hair from the barber shop might work too. Also, if you will excuse me, human urine will discourage them too. Just pee in a plastic milk jug and set that out there.    :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Charlie,
Did you forget some zeros?  In Michigan the car deer assidents are in the tens of thousands each year.

Also, No, human urine is absolutely not a deterent to deer, in fact the ammonia released from the urine can be an attractant. After 28 years of bow hunting and peeing from trees, I have saw many a deer stop and actually admire my gift to the forest floor. :D :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

You might be right about me dropping a zero. I read the article some time back and at first thought it said 20,000 reported road kill and 40,000 unreported. But then I second guessed myself when I was typing the reply and said..."Sheeeesh that's a lot", and thought maybe I was wrong. so I dropped a zero. I reckon I shouldn't have.

HEY TOM!!!!! Forget about using the urine. Just put some dawghair into yor old pantyhose and hang it by the grapes.  :D :D :D

Thanks for setting me straight Jeff!  :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Charlie's right, Fla. Deer are pretty small.  Even Ga. deer are bigger and the only difference is that they are on the other side of the St. Mary's River.  

Florida Deer must be smarter though because they aren't influenced by the sight of Moose and Elk strapped to the fenders of pickup trucks.

Kevin, we do have white tail and like I said they are smaller than you would be accustomed to.  I don't know why they are so small but the farther south in Florida you go the smaller they seem to get.  If you get the chance, look up "Key Deer" in your browser.  They are tiny and almost extinct but are still white tail.

Jeff

That's why Kevin is different, he is on the other side of a St. Mary's river too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I've had this discussion on size before. Deer and black bear both seem bigger the farther north you go. Is it a wintering phenomenon...or corn? (best deer I've had was in Iowa 100% corn I'm sure). Or just imagination?

As far as deer in the garden all I can say is our observation has been that deer only learn from personal and probably recent experience. They will stay away from human hair or soap or perfume or... for a few days till they realize that doesn't hurt them and then in they go. They only seem to figure out to stay out of the garden when they get to the freezer. Just limited space for the problem at hand. We have used 12 foot posts, 9' up and they still manage to browse the day before harvest (ever notice that in wildlife, birds can tolerate a wild blueberry the day before I can, what noive)

Kevin

QuoteThat's why Kevin is different, he is on the other side of a St. Mary's river too.

Just for that I`m not sending you any more softwood lumber.

I`m off to the cedars in the morning, have a good weekend.  8)

Tom

Hey Kevin,

Looks like we are neighbors.  We both live on the other side of the St. Mary's River from everybody else. :D :D :D

Reminds me of that Blonde Joke.

A blonde on one side of the river yelled to another on the other side and said.  "How do you get on the other side of the river?"

The other replied, "Duh!,  You are on the other side of the river."

CHARLIE

The Rancher that owned the ranch where Tom and I used to hunt (our Uncle had a hunting lease on the ranch) brought 2 large Carolina bucks down to his ranch in hopes they would breed larger deer. Come hunting season.....someone shot 'em. So, the next year he brought a couple more Carolina bucks to his ranch. Someone shot 'em. I bet they thought they had gotten some big Florida deer.

Don, I bet those Iowegion deer were 100% corn fed. It's the same here in S.E. Minnehaha. And they do taste better than the deer shot up in northern Minnehaha.

Did y'all know that Florida is the 2nd largest beef producing state in the U.S.? Well it is.  Some mighty big ranches down there. My father-in-law has a hunting lease on a ranch near Kissimee, Florida. The ranch is over 384,000 acres:o(how big is that?) and his hunting lease allows him to hunt on 20,000 acres. He hunts deer, turkey and hogs. 8)
Charlie

Thank You Sponsors!