iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding My Kiln

Started by DR_Buck, April 30, 2018, 09:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I decide to rebuild, or rehost my DH4000 kiln into a 20 ft insulated shipping container.   I have two of them I acquired after I built my kiln chamber into a US Mail truck box.   (pictures in my gallery http://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1482 ).    I removed all of the kiln components and sold the old homemade chamber to another sawyer.

I decided to do this before I set up the kiln here at our new location.  Using the shipping container will be better for installing cart tracks and building lumber carts as it sits lower to the ground.   It will also allow me to dry a little more lumber than I could fit in the old box.    It is also better insulated and has much better doors.    

The one area I will need to do something about is the interior walls.   They are made of plastic or maybe fiberglass.   I will have to put up a half height wall of metal to keep from damaging them if they get hit with lumber.    In my old box I lined the interior wall with an old swimming pool metal wall.   It worked perfect.

I hope to start in this project in then next month or two.   I need to work around the builders and my ongoing house renovations.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

I've been delayed getting started on rehosting the kiln due to working on the new addition for the house.   I still have a lot to do there, but I need to get the kiln going again as I have a couple customers waiting on it.   

Note:   THIS IS NOT A YELLOW HAMMER PROJECT    :D

My kiln setup before the move was pretty simple and not a good as it could have been.   This time I'm doing a few things different, but not like the project described by Yellow Hammer in his thread.     ;D

A few day ago I move the insulated container and got it set and leveled.    Today I trenched in 130 feet of power cable.   Tomorrow I am starting to do the DH-4000 install.  I need to build and mount the baffle to hold the circulation fans.  Then I will install the box on the exterior for the control panel and over temperature exhaust.   I hope to have this ready to use in the next week or two.   That depends on how much work I do on the new addition.   ::)

Pictures as of today.

K-Guy

Hi DR_Buck
The lining may be okay for the heat can you find out who manufactured the container and contact them. I've had a few people using reefer trailers lined with a similar product, when they contacted the manufacturer they were told it was good up to 160°f.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

farmfromkansas

When you build your baffle, do you have to drill holes through the roof, or is there something to fasten to on the inside?  My reefer box has no holes in the roof, but can not figure out what to attach the baffle to.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

DR_Buck

Quote from: farmfromkansas on June 27, 2018, 01:52:48 PM
 When you build your baffle, do you have to drill holes through the roof, or is there something to fasten to on the inside?  My reefer box has no holes in the roof, but can not figure out what to attach the baffle to.
Yes.  I drilled holes in the roof.   The baffle arrangement is identical to the way I had it installed in the US Mail box truck I used for over 10 years.  That worked fine, so I'm sticking with it in the new container. Pictures below show the baffle frame I built and installed this afternoon.   It's bolted to the roof with carriage bolts.  I put sealing washers under the heads before inserting them.   They are shown in one of the photos.  When I'm done, I will recoat the roof with silver fiber metal roof paint to completely cover and seal everything.

I also put one bolt through the back end wall into the baffle frame to help steady it and keep it from vibrating when the fans are running.   Tomorrow I hope to get the plywood on the frame and paint the whole thing to protect the wood from all of the moisture.   Most likely will do it with the silver fiber paint, same as I used before. 

I need to cut the holes for the over temperature vents and install them.  The exhaust is powered.  the input is not and I had to order a replacement as the original was pretty corroded and rusted open.

Roof Bolts from top of roof.

Baffle frame, looking in.

Baffle frame looking out. 

Bolt through end wall to steady frame.

YellowHammer

I don't know, but it's starting to look like a Hammer project. :D
Looks good! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DR_Buck

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 27, 2018, 10:28:20 PM
Looks good!
smiley_thumbsup

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 27, 2018, 10:28:20 PM
Looks good!
But I don't see any cows in the background.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

Made a little more progress despite the extreme heat and humidity.    Yesterday I installed the over temp fan.  Then when it got hot I worked in the shop making a shelf and mountings for the over temp controls and circulation fan switches.   They'll be installed in the box tomorrow.

Today I got the truck tool box drilled and punched for the wiring, then mounted it on the kiln container.  I also modified the DH-4000 control box to have the control cable and power come out the side of the box so it will fit into the truck box better.

Tomorrow I hope to start wiring up the controller and the AC power.    I also need to cut the hole and install the air intake on the backside for the over temp venting.   The original was pretty well corroded and in bad shape so I ordered a new one that was delivered today.

Modified DH-4000 box

Holes drilled and bored in the container for the wiring

Truck tool box mounted to hold controls

OutlawB52

Hello Dr_Buck                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I am looking for a 20 ft insulated container . What did yours set you back ?  Found a 10ft in nice shape at a reasonable cost but am afraid it's too small. Great thread, Thanks.

YellowHammer

The TSC truck box makes the best controller box, I've got two of them on my two kilns, and they are both in great shape, and watertight.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DR_Buck

Quote from: OutlawB52 on July 03, 2018, 11:28:11 AM
Hello Dr_Buck                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I am looking for a 20 ft insulated container . What did yours set you back ?  Found a 10ft in nice shape at a reasonable cost but am afraid it's too small. Great thread, Thanks.
From what I'm told, 20 footers are scarce right now.  Especially insulated reefer style.   I got my 2 several years ago.  Cost delivered 150 miles was $2800 each. 

farmfromkansas

Check with your local semi- wrecker service.  I had choice of a few reefers, mine was 3250 delivered with wheels removed and set on my chunks of stress cast concrete.  Had to rotate the one at the rear, as there was a frame underneath, and was only 4' apart, so put the 4x8 concrete long ways with box.  Mine is 48'.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!