iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw mill restoration

Started by Carpenter, October 14, 2009, 12:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carpenter

Thanks for the response guys.  Thanks for the pictures Captain.  I think if I can find the pulleys I will use a belt drive system.  I would like to find two pulleys that use multiple v belts, if possible.  And of course to run the saw at 540 they both have to be the same size.  Does anybody know where I can find two matching pulleys?  Preferably used and low cost.  I have thought of this before, we have two grinder mixers and they both have 22" diameter pulleys that run off of the pto, but one takes a single wide grooved belt and the other takes multiple belts.  It is a moot point anyway because I can't use either of those as we still have to grind grain. 
     The reason I would like to use a belt transfer is to act as a slip clutch, the belts in a multiple belt system are cheaper, and eventually we may convert this mill to run off of a 3 phase motor and it would be a simple matter of getting the right pulley on the motor to get the rpm right.  Also the belt system would allow me to run the pto shaft straight. 
     If we can't come up with the pulleys we will run the saw direct with either a slip clutch or a shear pin somewhere in the system.  Thanks.

captain_crunch

Capenter
Mine has 4 belts banded together and if not tight will slip so I would sugegett at least that much with more than my 42 hp to mill I can slip em if I am not careful but with hyd feed I can slow the carrage to make it work. I can cut 18" at max and it works tractor but I am sawing Doug Fir not hard wood
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Carpenter

Thanks for the input Brian, I was just browsing the internet for pulleys.  Didn't find any that will work.  So far we have only cut pine but have quite a few oaks available to cut.  So, I guess I need to be looking for a pair of 5 or 6 belt pulleys that fit a 2 3/16" shaft. 

captain_crunch

C_P
they are not to hard to find just pricey out here but most mill shaft is measured in 1/16th so that is standered dia(according to mill right buddy) Duane had the ones I got from when he run it PTO before he used Ford 6 cylinder. I would like to use stationaly power rather than tie up tractor seems like come good weather to run mill I need tractor for hay :( :( :(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Carpy,belts are nice but the simplest thing for you would be a shaft from say an old bailer they have a slip clutch,same with a brush hog.Especially since your hammered for 540 and don't need to change your speed Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

captain_crunch

Bandmiller
Big reason for belts #1 removes shock to tractor #2 lowered PTO about 18" below mandrel so don't need as a tall of ramp for tractor mine still has an angle but with 14 ft shed and roof pitch I can't go much higher with tractor

Mike Rock

That's a Gaar Scott mill.....  I have it's twin, in parts, sitting here.  Missing the feed works on mine, they used it for another project.  I think it was the Pony size...I'll dig out my manual.

Nice job!!

Drop me a phone number and I'll get you some information on it.

God bless.
Mike Rock
Argyle, WI

Thank You Sponsors!