iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up the LT28 Today

Started by Qweaver, April 01, 2010, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We made the trip to Shade Gap to pickup the new LT28 today.  Marty spent a couple hours showing us how the machine should be operated.  I've just got to say that Marty really knows how these machines work and he's a great teacher.  
We got home about 6:00 pm and got the machine setup beside our log pile ready to start sawing early tomorrow morning.  This machine is a huge step-up from the LT15.  I'm anxious to get started and I'll know much more about the saw by Miller Time tomorrow.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tom

Now you've done it.

You're into big-time saw milling now.  :D

P.A. RESHARP

Congratulations  Qweaver        P.A.

Magicman

Congratulations.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the "Easter Bunny" at work..... :D :D :D

Happy sawing...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JBritt

That's awesome, can't wait til I get a mill.

Qweaver

We sawed for 7 hours today and cut 1463 BdFt.  We also wasted at least an hour of that time getting everything organised.  We could have cut for another two hours but the 85 deg temps and sunny day took a toll on us old folks so we packed it in and popped a few cold Buds at 5:00 pm.
The saw ran great and I used the log turner a lot.  I love the toe boards.  I'm now firmly convinced that up grading from my LT15 was a good move.  The biggest log that we sawed was 26" dia and the turner handled it easily.  The turner is not always perfect but with one re-grasp it always worked.  I've sawed many logs with my trusty LT15 but for the large amount of sawing that I do, this is the saw that I should have had from the start.  I like it.
I have some pictures but the Gallery is off line so I will try later
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Busy Beaver Lumber

Congrats on the new mill qweaver. Quite an impressive output for your first day on the new mill. I just picked up my new LT-10 this week and will be putting it together tomorrow. Already had a call today from a guy that heard I got the mill and wants me to cut up some walnut from his property to make a dining room table out of. Best of luck with the new machine.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Wintergreen Mountain

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

schakey

Ok Qweaver if you want to pratice on some wp just come over to Wayne county
Wv ;D
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

gator gar

Man..............Congratulations on that new mill. Mine will be ready and delivered on the 23rd of this month. I'm working a flange inspection turnaround, for the next 30 days straight. I told my wife that she was going to have to take the warranty walkthrough with the salesman and pick my mill up for me. I think she is a little intimidated with it, but she will do fine.

Qweaver

I do have a couple questions for other LT28 users.  When Marty was demonstrating the mill it jumped out of "gear" a few times.  He adjusted the actuator link to put a little more tension on the belt and that fixed it.  It started doing that again yesterday and I adjusted it some more and that worked again.  I'm just a little concerned that the belt tension would need to be adjusted two days in a row.  I'll take a closer look at this mechanism to see why this happens.  This saw head is very much the same as my LT15 and I never had this problem with it. 
Also, we sawed all day with one blade yesterday and it still looks and cuts OK.  I'm accustomed to being able to "feel" how the blade is cutting with the manual feed LT15.  So the power feed LT28 is a whole new thing for me.  We are going to re-saw/edge this morning and I will change the blade just to see the difference.
Quinton

Jim_Rogers

As you know, one way to tell whether or not your blade is dull is by looking at the lumber. Or course if it's wavy, it's dull.
And as you probably know, watch the blade as it leave the log, if it drops down it's dull and riding up and over the log, some. And if it raises up it's dull, most likely on one side, and it's diving.
Also, with a power feed mill, you can watch the feed rate knob. If you're sawing along at a feed rate that you like with a sharp blade on, look at the knob and see what position it is in. When you get sawing some and you notice that you can't turn the knob up to the point any more without the engine sounding like it's working harder to the lumber is wavy then the blade is dull.

Next, I have a tach on my mill engine to watch the rpm while sawing. You can use that to tell when the blade is dull, when you are at the same regular rpm speed and the feed rate knob isn't in the right spot (as it is with a sharp blade) the blade is dull.

Each machine takes some getting use to and you'll soon know when your blades are dull using this machine.

I think decided when my blade was dull was one of the hardest things for me to learn when I began sawing logs. I broke many a blade by going to far.... or sawing with it for too long.

I'm happy you're happy with your upgrade...

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

timberjackrob

qweaver,congrats on the lt28 ive had mine about 9 months,the first thing i replaced was the log turner winch with a 12v 2000lb winch.i bought a cheap one because i didnt know if it would work,about 80 bucks out of the northern catalog. it works great i have turned some very big logs with it.just ran a pigtail with a plug from the battery and put aplug on the other end going to the controller the controler handle even fits in the tube on the hitch so its easy to use.i have never had a problem with the mill staying in gear must be out of adjustment
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

John S

Quinton,
I am in the process of selling my LT-15 and upgrading to the LT-28 and am interested in your experience with it jumping out of gear.  I have not had any problems with the 15 and concerned that there might be a problem with the 28's.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

pineywoods

Jim rogers mentioned installing a tachometer. This is something I highly recommend and it's cheep  cheep, $10. Buy yourself a cheap bicycle speedometer. Runs off and internal button battery, no mods to the mill whatso ever. Pickup is a small magnet glued to one of the bandwheels. (ductape?) Especially with the low horse power mills, a dull blade will show a noticeable drop in rpm.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jim_Rogers

I got my tach from a Kohler engine dealer. But I believe WM now sells them. It works by wrapping the pick up wire around a spark plug wire and the other wire is a ground, battery inside, still working after years and years..... (now the thing will die because I mentioned it)....with my luck.....

Shows engine hours when engine is off....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Qweaver

Hey John,  The belt tension must have just been a little low because no further problem with it today.  I really like the saw.  We sawed another 1000 BdFt this morning.  I am having a little problem with the log turner trying to lift the far end of the log instead of turning it.  WM sells some rollers that will likely solve that problem.  I'm ordering them today.
BTW, I changed the blade after re-sawing this AM and I could not tell much difference between the used and the new.   Marty sawed at least part of a log checking out the saw, then we sawed one for the demo and then I sawed 1500 BdFt  and it was still sawing OK.

Quinton

timberjackrob

qweaver where do the rollers go how much do they cost? ihave trouble too uasually on the second turn the log wants to climb on top of the back supports. i think rollers may be what i need. do they go on top of the back supports like on the bigger mills
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

MartyParsons

The engine drive belts are made out of Kevlar fibers. It takes some time to get the Kevlar streached. In the manual it says check tension at the first 5 hours and then recheck or readjust at 50. ( I think the LT15 is 20 hours).
I have had LT28 owners call on this in the past and every time the drive belt tension solves the issue.
Hope this helps.
Marty
Support rollers 016652  $ 25.00 each
You can also purchase stainless steel covers for log supports to keep lumber stain low. 016798 kit all four for $ 45.00
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Burlkraft

Congrats Q  8)  8)  8)

I love my 28. Sounds like you are pretty attached to yours too!  :) :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Chuck White

Congratulations Qweaver, I'm sure you'll be busy with the new mill for years to come.

Jim posted a nice list of tips.  Some, I knew about and some I didn't.

My best tip for telling when a blade is getting dull is "Listen to your mill",
the obvious wavy cuts and zig-zag lines are easy, but again, listen to your mill!

I have a tach on order for my mill, it should be in tomorrow.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I've done business with this company a few times. I've run the Tiny Tachs on a bunch of things, and I have one of their tachometers for testing chainsaws.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wallys World

I love mine also. My production rate is much better compared to our LT15. Sawed some white pine today.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Qweaver

The log turner is more of a problem than I first thought.  It often tends to start lifting the one end of the log about half way through the turn.  This is happening more often than not.  The optional rollers costs $25 plus shipping for each backstop that you put them on.  So probably $60 for two.  I'd order them if I knew this would fix the problem for sure.  How many of us are having this same problem?  If this option can be duplicated by just bolting a sealed bearing on the backstop, I'd try that.
Quinton

Burlkraft

I gotta admit that I have not used my log turner since I got my mill. I got a big 'ol Logrite that I use.
I thought about the rollers on the dogs and I was thinkin' of using a sealed bearing like a 205 or 305 DD myself.

I had a hard time rollin over them 35" white oak logs last week. I was wishin' I had gotten bearings and tried it.  ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!