iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best pocket knife to carry and why?

Started by btulloh, August 07, 2017, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

It's a rainy day today - -

So this is a topic everyone will find agreement on:  What kind of pocket knife do you carry and what makes it THE RIGHT knife?

I carried The Prince (made by Buck) for a long time because it was perfect for work, play, and formal occasions.

It was THE BEST POCKETKNIFE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.  ;)

Last year I switched to a thumb-open/gravity close knife made by Benchmade:

It is THE BEST POCKETKNIFE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.  ;)

Good steel, easy on the arthritis, available using one hand, fashionable black durable scales.

I do still use The Prince for formal and semi-formal occasions.

HM126

21incher

I don't think there is 1 best knife to carry. It depends on what you are doing.
I used to carry the Opinel's. They can be sharpened to a razor blade sharpness, but are tough to open and stain with moisture

Then I switched to Kershaws. They are spring assisted and open easily, hold a good edge, but as you can see the metal is brittle and the points break off easily but I usually have 1 in my pocket when leaving the home.

Recently I have switched back to a fixed blade for around the yard and garden. The Morakniv's have stainless blades that hold the edge very well and will not rust, The handles are comfortable and work well with garden gloves, and there is no problem with dirt getting in the mechanism all for under 10 bucks.

I guess I have not found the perfect single knife and will always be looking. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Corley5

Leatherman Rev.  Knife, pliers, screwdrivers with pocket clip. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

I carry a Gerber EAB which is a small box cutter that takes the disposable utility knife blades. Used to carry a Kershaw but it was always dull and I hate sharpening, then carried a multi-tool but it was so bulky that I often "forgot" to carry it. The EAB is perfect around the farm for opening boxes, feed sacks, cutting twine, stripping wire, etc; then when it gets dull take a dime and unscrew the retainer and flip the blade over, once that side is dull just replace. Nothing better than box cutter sharp.

Crusarius

I carry the best knife in the world. It costs less than $10. It has a clip. It has a blade and is spring assisted opening. This one has a window punch and a bottle opener.

What makes it the best in the world? It is cheap, and disposable. I am not friendly with any of my knives so those 2 features make it the best. If I lose it or break it I am out $10.

Texas Ranger

Folding Buck, Swiss Army, and an SOG Flash 1 with 2 inch blade.  The SOG takes and holds a razor edge and is my field, shop, what ever, surgical instrument of choice.  Swiss is a Swiss and I use it daily.  Buck is for bigger stuff.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tree-farmer

Kershaw in right pocket, Gerber in left. If I have pants on I have at least 2 knives. Somtimes one in boot, depends on circumstance. Tools for all ocassions, formal and casual.

Off subject a bit:
Local joke about one of our "less developed counties". You can tell its a formal wedding if they are using white shotguns.   :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Magicman

My "favorite" has changed many times as time has passed but the Leatherman Original is always on my belt.

I also now carry a Benchmade pocket clip of one variety or the other and a Leatherman Micra.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Small, holds an edge well & doubles as a money clip.

D

Woodcutter_Mo

I think everyone will have slightly different opinions on this. But my preference (aka best knife for me) is a single blade, lock-back knife of fair quality and reasonable price. I like a knife that has a thin profile and has a pocket clip.
The Kershaw "skyline" if one of my favorite carry knives. It is thin, light weight, simple and holds an edge pretty good and they're not terribly expensive. I also like the grip. The ones I've had are open very smooth and quick even though they do not have the spring assist.

Another one of my favorites is the Kershaw Blur. It is a spring assisted lock back. A little larger and heavier than the skyline but a good all around, durable carry knife.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

WV Sawmiller

There is an old thread on this topic floating around I remember seeing when I first found this site and immersed myself into reading all the info I could find on it.

Anyway, I carry a Leatherman Surge. Started carrying a Leatherman Wave when I was working in Africa then moved to the larger Surge which I carried in Haiti, Norway, Iraq, Afghanistan, & Guinea. I have used it to skin many deer, clean fish (I do bring along a fillet knife for filleting) and work on my weedeater, lawn mower, chain saw, and sawmill. The plastic choke lever is broken on my leaf blower so I use the pliers on my Leatherman to start it when cleaning my sawmill, burning brush piles, etc. If I'm outside it is likely on my hip.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dnalley

Crusarius, what is this window punch that you speak about?  Does it have anything to do with shattering the glass in a vehicle?

drobertson

I like the thin ones, kershaw being a favorite, but like many shown, the pocket clip on oriented on the wrong end, like shown, if they don't close and its sharp as they should be, a poke is near by.  Now, the one MM showed is the first I've seen with the pocket clip on the correct end.. this one I'm sure is a good and well used pocket knife,, the main thing for me is a locking blade, regardless of the make.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Crusarius

Quote from: dnalley on August 07, 2017, 06:42:48 PM
Crusarius, what is this window punch that you speak about?  Does it have anything to do with shattering the glass in a vehicle?

Yes, I am a volunteer firefighter so its real nice to have.

dnalley

Thanks, I think everybody should have one, especially in your line of service.  I've seen police and such beating on a side glass with lots of things.  Nothing like an automatic center-punch with a carbide point to make short work of these windows, from the inside as well as the outside.  And thanks for your service.

grouch

Cheap almost-imitation Swiss Army knife. So cheap it doesn't have a brand. Used to have stamped sheetmetal grips, but they fell off. Blades are stainless at least.

Knife, saw (actually cuts wood), scissors (uselessly flimsy), scaler / dehooker, can opener, flat-blade screwdriver / bottle opener, corkscrew, leather stitching awl (also good for boring a hole in other things), really sharp fingernail file, reamer, philips screwdriver.

Never used the fish scaler.
Find something to do that interests you.

btulloh

A bottle opener comes in handy for those really tough situations.
HM126

Chuck White

When I'm working, I usually carry the Gerber model S30V, clipped on my belt (as apposed to clipped in the pocket).

Everyday use, I carry a little Gerber model 500 that I got from Buckmasters a few years back!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bigred1951

I just carry an old case 3 blade pocket knife. Its great because it was free that I found in the dirt washed it off been using it ever since. Can tell its been well used before me and has been sharpened but it stays sharp and hasn't let me down. I usually have to check my pocket a couple times a day to make sure its still there

LeeB

The best knife is a sharp knife. A dull knife will hurt you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Here is the same topic a couple of years ago:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bucknwfl

You might have as well asked what's your favorite ice cream
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Stoneyacrefarm

I carry a schrade old timer.
3 blades and always sharp.
Always have it on me.  8)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: drobertson on August 07, 2017, 07:00:10 PM
I like the thin ones, kershaw being a favorite, but like many shown, the pocket clip on oriented on the wrong end, like shown, if they don't close and its sharp as they should be, a poke is near by.  Now, the one MM showed is the first I've seen with the pocket clip on the correct end.. this one I'm sure is a good and well used pocket knife,, the main thing for me is a locking blade, regardless of the make.

A few of the Kershaws including the Skyline and Blur that I have, the clips can be installed on the other end providing you have the correct size torx driver  :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!