iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed Layout

Started by TimW, July 07, 2019, 12:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

I am in the initial design stages of my sawmill/drying shed.  Can Y'all show me your layout.  Photos are encouraged.  Where did you put what, it relation to the mill.  Thanks in advance.
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

good morning.  I think there are some designs in the drying hardwood lumber by @GeneWengert-WoodDoc   and Jake really had a nice set up.  @customsawyer  . and I know that @Tom the Sawyer  had made some neat additions.  and @Southside  and @YellowHammer  have good ideas and opinions.  I do not have a drying shed per se, but will look forward to what some of the experts have to say.  I am sure there will be many, but this may help to get the ball rolling.  Best regards!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

crowhill

How many variables and all with good reasoning can we expect to see on this link? Maybe there's something coming forth to get me motivated to go along with all the conversation we had at a pig roast last evening about being out in the direct sun milling!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

doc henderson

direct sun milling is great in Ks in the winter, not in the summer.  Prob. not as bad in the summer in Vermont. but Good Lord help you sawing in the sun, in the summer, in the great state of Texas! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

A few questions come to mind.  How much equipment do you have that will be in the mill house?  What products are you making?  How many BF / day are you targeting? Where is the lumber heading to after it has been sawn?  IE - kiln, air drying, customer trailer?  You have to allow room for walking between / around equipment, waste handling.  Do you need any dry storage space for tools, bands, etc?  My mill house is 68' x 48' and is still tight.  I am adding on an additional 24' x 30' dog nose to one end so the 70 can sit out there as a head saw which will free up a lot of space, then will probably add another 30' run to the back side of it. 

Bottom line, you can't have too much space.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Make it twice as big as you think that that you will need, then double that.  I am not kidding  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

I built a 45x100 pole barn with a bunch of access doors and it's still too small.  The 16' ceiling is nice to have, make sure you go high enough with your ceiling in case you ever want to add on
Boy, back in my day..

firefighter ontheside

If you want the mill to share the same building as drying lumber, then plan to load logs from the outside.  Otherwise you will use a bunch of the interior space moving logs around or using a tractor or other equipment.  If you want the drying area closed in, then build a lean to on the outside to house the mill.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TimW

Guys,
 Let me rephrase my question into a statement. :embarassed:  I want to see Y'alls mill layouts. 8)  I am thinking way in advance here and would like to hear what works for you. I am not looking for any certain thing like BF a day or hour.  I would just love to see other people's shed layouts.  If I see it once, it sticks in my head and I can build it without sketches or blue prints, tweeking it to fit my needs. 

My Dad was an Aggie that was raised on a farm in the Texas Panhandle.  I know whatever you build, it will be too small.  He had sheds added on sheds that were added on sheds.  All my buildings and equipment are built and bought with growing bigger added in.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

customsawyer

Mine had plenty of pictures taken of it in the "Sawing project 2019" thread. There was even some videos of it. It's 90x106 and still to small. I also have another 40x50 enclosed for dried lumber and it's to small. I have a 30x40 for a blade shop and it's to small. I'm starting to notice a pattern here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Me too Jake - you always build with a "0" in both of the dimensions :D.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2019, 07:41:13 AM
Make it twice as big as you think that that you will need, then double that.  I am not kidding  :).
If you do not follow the above suggestion, build in such a way as to be able to easily add on in all directions.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Resonator

QuoteMake it twice as big as you think that that you will need, then double that.  I am not kidding 
...and tell the bank that when you ask for more money. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

redbeard

Having a wide head mill you want too keep in mind loading logs that won't load easily with log loader arms, So your over head cover needs too be high enough for equipment too set the odd logs on mill.
My Timberking B-20 cover building was  designed to keep operator area comfortable from weather and now realize that it is not drag back friendly for new AC 36 Cooks mill. So a new over head cover is in the works. It eliminate a handy turn around area for customers loading and unloading.
It's hard too see into the future of your operation but if your in planning stages try too keep traffic areas in mind with your buildings.
Kiln placement, log storage, log handling equipment, firewood slab cutting area, sawdust pile ECT.
Don't forget a nice area for your dogs too keep eye on what's going on in woodlot.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Mike W

Super nice layout there Redbeard, like the lumberjack, a nice added touch.  I really enjoyed Whidbey Island when I was doing remodel / construction work back in the mid 90's.  Seemed more times then not, when getting directions to someones home would consist of directions such as:

"you know where the ole red barn used to be?"

Well no, I don't

"yea, turn left there...." ::)

TimW

Thanks Redbeard. This is exactly what I am looking for.  Photos and overall layout.  I was gonna make it all under one structure to start out, but I like your approach.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Thanks Redbeard. This is exactly what I am looking for.  Photos and overall layout.  I was gonna make it all under one structure to start out, but I like your approach.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on July 07, 2019, 07:00:04 AM
direct sun milling is great in Ks in the winter, not in the summer.  Prob. not as bad in the summer in Vermont. but Good Lord help you sawing in the sun, in the summer, in the great state of Texas! :D
Doc,  I have huge White Oak trees in front of the barn by the driveway.  I am sawing there right now.  Most of the day in the shade.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: customsawyer on July 07, 2019, 12:43:55 PM
Mine had plenty of pictures taken of it in the "Sawing project 2019" thread. There was even some videos of it. It's 90x106 and still to small. I also have another 40x50 enclosed for dried lumber and it's to small. I have a 30x40 for a blade shop and it's to small. I'm starting to notice a pattern here.
C Sawyer,
Do you remember what page that is posted on?
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Resonator on July 07, 2019, 03:05:33 PM

QuoteMake it twice as big as you think that that you will need, then double that.  I am not kidding
...and tell the bank that when you ask for more money. :D
Don't need to ask banks anymore for DanG money. smiley_tom_tutnurhorn2
hugs,  Brandi

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on July 07, 2019, 05:01:15 PMDo you remember what page that is posted on?
There are many pictures beginning here:  LINK  And continuing for another half dozen pages.

(I'll check our redbeard's setup for you in a couple of weeks.)   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

there are 27 pages. this will get you in the middle with a video as an over view. pics also but not taken with the intent to show the overall layout.

Re: Sawing project 2019

YellowHammer

A sawmill shed and a lumber drying shed have significantly different requirements, and only occasionally, with specific species of wood, are they optimized for dual purpose.  

The sawmill should be placed where it best suits you, the lumber drying shed must be placed where it best suits the lumber.  There is a difference.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2019, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: Bindian on July 07, 2019, 05:01:15 PMDo you remember what page that is posted on?
There are many pictures beginning here:  LINK  And continuing for another half dozen pages.

(I'll check our redbeard's setup for you in a couple of weeks.)   ;D
Thanks MM.  I went to your link and scrolled through the photos.  Awesome place.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on July 07, 2019, 05:39:21 AM
good morning.  I think there are some designs in the drying hardwood lumber by @GeneWengert-WoodDoc   and Jake really had a nice set up.  @customsawyer  . and I know that @Tom the Sawyer  had made some neat additions.  and @Southside  and @YellowHammer  have good ideas and opinions.  I do not have a drying shed per se, but will look forward to what some of the experts have to say.  I am sure there will be many, but this may help to get the ball rolling.  Best regards!
Thanks Doc.  I clicked on the links you have above and visited their galleries.  Do you know how many photos are there to look through?   Way more than I have free time to visit.  Hopefully these guys will post here with photos.  Thanks again.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!