iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sayings…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

My mother when describing me sometimes would say " he doesn't have the sense that God gave a goose".  The sad truth was that she was correct. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

shootingarts

A few more come to mind:

"Things are going to heck in a handbasket"

About folks with book learning and no smarts: "He's been educated beyond his intelligence"

Used to be endless sayings about somebody's lack of brains, I'm sure there still are. This was from Jr. High. "If brains were gas his wouldn't be enough gas for a car for an amoeba to make it halfway around the inside of a cheerio, . . . . taking the short cut!"

Oh yeah brains: "When the good lord was passing out brains they thought he said rain and went the other way."

Hu

dablack

Like winkin' at a blind girl......it just doesn't work.
Building my own house in East TX

Woodhauler

One my  father used to use alot, mostly at my brother that hated to be in the woods......  I have to sight by a pole to see you move!! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I used to work with a guy that would never take his girlfriend to a bar.
He always said that would be like taking a Sandwich to a Banquet or taking Sand to a Beach.  :D :D :D

I think he's dead now.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

easymoney

one old saying i have not heard in a while is he keeps bankers hours. meaning he does not start early in the morning and does not work many hours.

pabst79

Heard many times from and old friend, " as useless as a rubber beak on a woodpecker" or when he was irritated in a discussion he would say " I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed".  :laugh:
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

samandothers

What goes around comes around.

LAZERDAN

My fathers favorite, meeting a bunch of unlucky fishermen back at the dock.  "Misery loves company"

POSTON WIDEHEAD

......it's like shooting pool with a rope.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

cutterboy

"The apple don't fall far from the tree"

"Strong as a bull and almost as smart"
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Hilltop366

Strong like ox, smart like tractor.

drobertson

An old pro bowler, now passed, use to say when tapped by a ten pin, " Horse Feathers!"
never did get it, still don't, and not sure why I said it this morning,  good memories, 
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Horse Feathers refers to the long hair on the back of a horses lower legs & feet!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Leigh Family Farm

Its not a saying but I've only heard this in the South:

"Its all kattywampus and bojangled." Translation for fellow Yankees: off kilter
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

Not from the south, but have heard and used "kattywampus" for years. Also heard the bojangled but never heard them together. That would add just confusion to the description.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resolute

One of many from my father.

" A short pencil's better than a long memory "

stamper

Some days you're the dog, Some days you're the fire hydrant
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

LAZERDAN

ya all got my kattaywompas one before it got to  " Nip it in the Budd"

samandothers

LOL!  I like the dog fire hydrant one.  I'll be using that! 

wykle42548

it's hard to soar like a eagle, if you fly with buzzards.

weimedog

Very old  racing sayings...

"When the green flag drops, the bull  stops". (gate drops now!)

"The most important nut of the motorcycle is the one that ties the handlebars to the foot pegs"
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

samandothers

I have heard it is hard to soar with eagles when surrounded by turkeys.

Dan_Shade

my Dad would say "are you hittin' where you're lookin', or lookin' where you're hittin'" when I would miss swinging a hammer when I was a kid.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!