iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member with alot of ????

Started by Splinter2, March 30, 2010, 02:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinter2

Hello All,
             This being my first post i tought i would start off by saying Thank you for Having me. Also iam 50 years Young and have always enjoyed woodworking and such, Iam more of a Hobbist than anything. Iam a Firefighter buy trade and have been doing it almost 25 years now, closing in on getting out of a young mans Game. I live in Indiana now and have several hundred acers of land in Ky, due to the death of My Mother-In-Law, she owned half of her parents Farm. which we intend to build there soon. I have showed some interst in purchasing a Sawmill, (WoodMiser), the only one i have looked at, to maybe someday help offset the coast of lumber these days, I would not be running a Mill, just sawing some trees to support my Hobby. Well iam reading alot here and trying to learn as much as possible with out hands on, I do live close to Woodmiser headquaters in Indy, and have setup a demo, to see there products, which iam very excited about. I will have 1000 of qustion so bare with me in this learning process and thanks for the site in which one can learn from the Pro's.

Splinter2

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ernie

Welcome young fella, definately get yourself a mill, sawdust addiction is great 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Papa1stuff

Welcome ,you will enjoy it here :D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Raider Bill

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! You found a great place 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom

Splinter2, you've found a good company, a good mill and a good forum.  Just a word though, don't go too fast.  As good as one company is and the awe you possess with your first foray, slow down and take note of all of the comparable saws.  There are quite a few out there who compete and perform good.  There are also used saws that come up now and again that fill the bill for a hobby saw.  You can get more saw for your money that way.  A saw mill  has to be run awful hard to make it worthless.  :D

DirtForester

If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Chuck White

Splinter2;  Welcome to the Forestry Forum! You are now among a bunch of really great people.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Don K

Welcome splinter2,   8) 8)

As our resident sage Tom says there are several good mill suppliers out there and the used market has some good buys enabling a person to get more mill sometimes than they could buying new. You are getting into a exciting new phase to wood working and as with all things there is a lot to learn so take your time, research, ask questions and enjoy all sawing has to offer.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

Welcome to The Forestry Forum Splinter2.  You'll find that this is a nice place to pull up a chair and sit yourself for a spell...... :D  You'll get a lot of answers and a lot of opinions here so brace yourself...... :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

whiskers

Welcome Brother FF. Just to echo what's already said, there's a fine group of knowledgeable folks here and friendly to boot. I can recommend leaving it to the young guys, just can't describe how great it is not having  to deal with that schedule. You'll begin to understand soon and I'm betting you'll love it too.
Good luck to you and your's, keep the shiny side up.
many irons in the fire.........

timberjackrob

welcome splinter2 i live in casey co ky how close is your land? i have a woodmizer lt28 and love it you can stop by and see it if your close enough.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

timber tramp

Welcome. Glad to have you.                :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

fishpharmer

Splinter2, welcome to a great place.  We look forward to hearing about your experiences and helping you along if we can.   8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Lud

Welcome Splinter2,
                               I'm a hobby sawyer with an economical manual mill.   I love having "free lumber".

but I already had a chainsaw,  tractor and a barn for storage.  You got to move it and you have to store it  beyond just cutting it.And you have to have a Logrite cant hook.  ( Love my 60") .  And a hookeroon.....and a winch......and safety equipment.

Have a plan...You'll do fine. 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

OneWithWood

Welcome, Splinter2.  In what direction from Woodmizer do you reside? 
Always good to have another Hoosier join the forum  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

quietrangr

Quote from: Splinter2 on March 30, 2010, 02:12:58 PM
Hello All,
            so bare with me in this learning process and thanks for the site in which one can learn from the Pro's.

Splinter2

You mean you want us all to take off our clothes together? ???

Thank You Sponsors!