iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drum Switch Service Question

Started by SawyerTed, April 21, 2018, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

My LT35 Hydraulic has 24 hours on it. I was sawing and getting starts and stops in the feed. If I rocked the drum switch the head would continue.

I haven't seen any maintenance instructions on the drum switches in the owners manual. 

Here is what I've done. Cleaned both switches with electronics cleaner. Cleaned contacts with fine sandpaper and applied dielectric grease to the contacts. 

Should I do something else before buttoning everything up?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Chuck White

In my manual it says to apply contact grease (special stuff for drum switches) every 50 hours!

The LT40 drum switches are more difficult to get at than the LT35's!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Wow Chuck, that sounds like a poor application of the switch if it needs that kind of maintenance.  Guess I am glad I have the "old and umimproved" joysticks on mine.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Could one or more of the fingers gotten bent? I know the manuals used to talk about greasing the switch but it is not mentioned in mine either. 

Are you sure it is the switch? Could you have a loose power feed belt or something else causing the problem? 

Have you called WM yet? They may have some other troubleshooting suggestions. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I'm 90% certain it was contacts on the switch just because the rocking of the switch caused the feed to resume working.  The problem was intermittent and seemed related directly to the switch.

After my cleaning, the feed is back to normal.  I suspect there was a bit of sawdust or something on the contacts.  After cleaning,  I pulled a piece of 220 wet/dry sandpaper between the contacts on both sides then cleaned again.

Nothing appears to be bent.  I will check the power feed belt.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Chuck White

Check in the Maintenance, or Preventive Maintenance, or Lubrication!

I would certainly think that the drum switch is supposed to be lubed periodically!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The correct grease should have come with the mill. Do not put to much grease on the contacts. :)
I clean and re grease once a year.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

I checked my manual (again) and do not see any mention of any service/lube of the drum switches or even opening the panel at all for any cleaning or service. There is certainly no mention of it on the service interval matrix which cross references to the applicable maintenance paragraph which I follow religiously. 

I have heard old timers talk about the fact it used to be there and that they even included a small tube of di-electric grease in panel but I am pretty sure it is not there now.

If any of you find a reference I am missing please reply with the page/paragraph number in the LT35 manual. Thanks. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bandmiller2

Ted, first thing I would have done is call WM yours is almost a new machine and should not exhibit switch problems at least for many more hours. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Percy

Quote from: Southside logger on April 21, 2018, 11:56:59 AM
Wow Chuck, that sounds like a poor application of the switch if it needs that kind of maintenance.  Guess I am glad I have the "old and umimproved" joysticks on mine.  
Im not familiar with the LT35...but a 5 minute PM procedure every 50 hours doesn't seem excessive to me. Different strokes I guess :)

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 21, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
I'm 90% certain it was contacts on the switch just because the rocking of the switch caused the feed to resume working.  The problem was intermittent and seemed related directly to the switch.

After my cleaning, the feed is back to normal.  I suspect there was a bit of sawdust or something on the contacts.  After cleaning,  I pulled a piece of 220 wet/dry sandpaper between the contacts on both sides then cleaned again.

Nothing appears to be bent.  I will check the power feed belt.
As I said,  Im not familiar with the LT35 but my old LT40 went through two drum switches during the 3000 hours I used it. The actual current that goes through the motors went through these drum switches. Larger amperage than a relay system like on my LT70. I believe arcing is the culprit that messes up these switches as my 70 has the ones it came with. I put grease on once a year like the Goat.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

SawyerTed

Frank, I agree, I should call my dealer to talk about the drum switch issue.  I plan on running the mill this evening on a small job which will give me time to double check to see everything is still operating fine.

I was in the middle of a job Saturday morning when the problem started and needed to finish (dealer isn't open Saturday).  With rain coming tomorrow and other jobs pending, I figured I'd try cleaning and greasing the switch.  It worked fine afterward and I finished the job.  ,

SawyerTed

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 21, 2018, 09:38:30 PM
  I checked my manual (again) and do not see any mention of any service/lube of the drum switches or even opening the panel at all for any cleaning or service. There is certainly no mention of it on the service interval matrix which cross references to the applicable maintenance paragraph which I follow religiously.
I didn't find anything on servicing the drum switches but in my manual, in the Safety, Setup, Operation & Maintenance Manual Section 6.2 Power Feed Problems does discuss power feed diagnostics.  Nothing on drum switches. In my view going through those diagnostics before checking wiring connections and the drum switch would be time wasted.
Section 6.2. Electrical Problems mentions Up/Down or Power Feed Motors Do Not Work -Cause Worn contacts in switch.  Solution - Replace Switch.  This seems excessive when cleaning could be a solution.
The only mention I see of the drum switch grease is in the Parts manual Section 5.2 Drum Switches.  The grease is listed as well as the container, label and Velcro that holds it in place inside the control panel.

Thank You Sponsors!