iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fighting mold again sawing pine

Started by EZland, July 25, 2014, 07:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZland

Good grief,

I cut some pine a week ago, stacked and stickered it it would air dry.  I thought I had good air flow even though it was air drying and then five days of rain.  then the mold.  I am not worried totally about the look, because I am using it for siding on my saw mill shed.  Just once I like to cut some within out it going green.   I will zap the stack with bleach today.  Just wish there was something to stop this with air dry pine in the summer. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

WDH

Fans.  A couple of box fans will keep the air moving and help move the evaporating water vapor from between the layers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

goose63

Happy birthday EZLand good luck with the mold  :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Deese

Good Luck EZLAND
That mold is about to get  smiley_whip smiley_whip
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

red oaks lumber

try avoid cutting pine in the middle of summer, that will help the mold problems
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Robert Owens

I have had the same problem the last week. I cut four logs into 2x6's for rafters and stickered them and then the rains came along with the higher humidity. I don't have electricity in the barn I'm stacking in although the sides are open so it will have to do for now. I still have 40 plus logs to cut so I'll be back at it tomorrow morning. Cooler weather will be here soon enough. Will the mold cause any long term damage? This lumber is going to be used to build my sawmill shed and storage for lumber.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Mold and other fungi have four requirements for active growth

Oxygen
Temperature  (55 is very slow growth, 85 is maximum, 115 is slow and 130 kills)
Food (sugar in the wood for some, but not mold, dirt in the air, etc.)
Moisture (over 22% MC roughly)

Eliminate one of the four and you stop it dead.  Or else poison the food with a fungicide.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

EZland

Well Gene,
In the weather we had the last couple of weeks,  I was maxed out on all of the four.  Moisture in the air was about 65%, temp..... 85 degrees on the money.  Oxygen and food would be hard to control.   So air movement is the only thing I could have control of.  Once I get my open shed built I might be able to build a fan system to push the air through.  Maybe something like some drum fans or box fans all in a line like WDH said.  the good news the lumber was only for siding and I have already killed it with bleach.  I think I will try larger stickers too, 1 1/2. 

At least I have solved problem the mold in my solar kiln this year! 

last year, I had a load of pine mold in my kiln.  I made some T&G with it and it looked really cool with the gray coloring,  I killed the mold with bleach and put in back in the kiln.  It  was only for  my own project so not so bad,  I did seal it really well to not have any problem in the future.   
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

johnhm

EZland,  What percentage of bleach to water did you use when killing your mold.  I to have the same problem!

jwilly3879

1 gallon bleach to 4 gallons water is what I have always used to kill mold without bleaching the wood too much.

beenthere

I'm thinking that bleach mix is much stronger than necessary.

Try a quart to 4 gal, and if it does the job, then reduce the strength until it does not kill the mold.

Or increase if the quart to a gal of water doesn't work.

For me, I've found a little dab will do ya.  (old sayin) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!