iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly Jointer

Started by mhasel, March 20, 2004, 06:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Just curious if anyone has any experience with either the Grizzly or Bridgewood line of jointers? I have been looking at both the G0500 8" from Grizzly and the 8J8 from Bridgewood and would really like to hear any working reviews. I like the idea that the Bridgewood model uses a US made motor but they have been backordered and every time I call they push the date back another 2 weeks ??? The Grizzly units are in stock and have another 1/2 HP on the motor.

If anyone has a recommendation for another brand that would be great too, I've been discouraged by not being able to find a US made unit that uses hand wheels for adjustment other than used and then most folks don't want to ship the item.

Thanks again,
Mike

PS. It is great to have a place to turn for advice and recommendations from honest folks who know what they are talking about!!

chet

I've had that Griz jointer since they first introduced it. I simply love it.  8)  Right out of the shippng crate, some minor asembly, and it was up and running. Never touched a thing since other than to change blades. Like you I prefer the handwheels. Get lots of help to unload and to mount the bed, this is one heavy unit!
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

shopteacher

Mike I had a 6" grizzly jointer a good while back and found it to be an OK machine, it did have a stripped bearing holder when it came and they replaced it. . I wanted to go to a 8" and couldn't get one. Out of stock. I have 4 grizzly machines at school, 3 sanders and a shaper, all have performed well. The motor bearings  went (in 1 year)  on the spindle sander and we replaced them and it been up and running ever since. I have a friend that has the spindle sander also and haven't had any problem with it.  
  I have a Bridgewood tilting arbor shaper and 15" wide belt sander at home and haven't had any trouble with either of them.  I know Bridgewood advertises US motors, but check to be sure, as my shaper doesn't have one and I bought it from them new.
   My brother had a grizzly 10" cabinet saw and used it up to last year when he wanted to go left handed. He built many fancy and expensive cabinets for sale on that saw and never had any problem I know of.
  I'm not a advocate for either of these two companies and would rather buy a used Delta or Powermatic (I have an 8" about 70's vintage at home).  I'm just relating the experiences I've had with them.
   It's almost impossible if not totally impossible to purchase a US made machine today, other than used. Some of the good old machines are Delta, Rockwell, Powermatic, Walker Turner, Oliver, Crescent and many other I can't think of at the moment.  Hope this helps.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Den Socling

I'm real lucky in having both Grizzly and Hermance in the neighborhood. If anybody wants to dream of good old machines, looked at the 'used' list at Hermance.
http://www.hermance.com/

Norm

Thanks for the link Den, boy they have some nice used equipment there. Drooled all over my keyboard. :D

mhasel

Thanks everyone, I'd really like to find a good older unit too but am to the point where I have a project coming up and a jointer will make things turn out much better. I was looking through the manual for the Grizzly unit and impressed with the details and information they provide. I think for now it will server my purpose and maybe I can run across a good Delta or Rockwell down the road. I just recently purchased a US made Delta cabinet saw and I could not be happier with it but when I started looking at their jointers realized they were imports too.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya' posted on my experiences.

Mike

UNCLEBUCK

GRIZZLY ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  excellent machines and I beat the tar out of all my grizzly stuff and it just keeps on chuggin !   ;)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!