iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice caves

Started by Dana, March 25, 2008, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I thought you Southern folks might like to see what ice caves look like. They are made during the winter storms as the wind whips the waves up and it freezes. This cave had two rooms. The one room you could stand in and was about a 10 x 10 ft in area. The other room was about the same size but only 4.5 feet tall.

The other picture is the pier heads of Charlevoix taken from the ice on Lake Michigan.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Grawulf

Dana, that is slicker than all-get-out! I love to visit the area you live in on my way to the U.P. every couple of years - really pretty......and unique!  Thanks!   Devan

Grawulf

On another note.....do you pronounce it Charlavwa or Charlavoy  ??? Good lookin' family too!

Corley5

Like "Charlavoy"  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

That's DanG cool Dana! 8)
I don't find actual caves, but I have found lots of large washes where the water cuts into the ice bank.
Sure wish I could have gotten out far enough to look back at the piers here, but while the ice was out that far, it was questionable as to how good it was so I didn't go out that far.

This is a different kind of ice cave than what you are talking about and not as big, but I helped the kids make this quincy back in January. :)

isawlogs

Corley , here I would pronouce it " Charlavwa "  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Bow Saw recently visited a Polar Bear Cave and never came out. ;D

Mrs. Bow Saw had to break out the real Saws.

ARKANSAWYER

I have had to spend to many nights in a snow cave and a few Ice caves on glaciers.  Glad to be back down South.
ARKANSAWYER

Grawulf

Come on Arky - tell us a story.......don't leave us hangin'  :)

Dave Shepard

Find any nice sawlogs on those glaciers?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

There is a reason i live in the south..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: zopi on March 26, 2008, 10:03:52 PM

You're afraid of polar bears? ??? :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 26, 2008, 10:29:16 PM

Dave

yup.....'llergic.

Do polar bears eat penguins....

can we teach 'em to eat groundhawgs?....six weeks my #$%
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thecfarm

Nice pictures Dana.I live in snow country and have not seen caves like that.
Zopi,living where it snows keeps the population down.Keeps out the people from away too. They don't stick around when it gets cold.They are smarter than that to stay here.   :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dana

I'm thinking that they would be limited to really large bodies of fresh water like the great lakes? Even then the temperature of the water and air has to be just right for them to form. Some years we just get piles of ice. Do you ever see them near you Furby?

Isawlogs Charlevoix was named after the Jesuite (spelling) priest/explorer Pierre Xavier Charlevoix Your pronuciation is technically correct but we uses Corely5's pronuciation.

Furby

Nope, never seen a cave like that, but we don't get as cold for as long and you have a lot larger areas of shallower water up that way Dana.
We get the ridges built up when it's below freezing and windy, and then flats of frozen ice between ridges from calm cold periods. Sand bars will cause ridges as well.
But we really don't have super large areas of shallow water.
I'm assuming it's pretty shallow where you find the caves?

ARKANSAWYER

Nope the Glaicers were way above tree line.  The ice was very hard and the prettiest blue color.  The ice was from snow 10,000 years eailer and moved about 1 mile a year down hill.  It seems strange but when it is 50 below you get a bit warmer in a ice or snow cave.  The trick is to not get it too warm in there.  But if it 10 degrees in there it is alot better then outside.  But Thanks to the US Army and Fort Greely AK and Black Rock School we had a good time.  It did not take me long to realize that a Southern Boy should stay south of the Mason/Dixion line.
ARKANSAWYER

Deadwood

There is a spot up in Northern Maine they call the ice caves. It does not looklike that, but its a cave that has ice in it all year and is a pretty popular spot for the canoeist/hikers of Maine. Its a little trek to get to it.

Dana

Quote from: Furby on March 27, 2008, 06:57:47 PM
I'm assuming it's pretty shallow where you find the caves?

We walked offshore maybe an eighth of a mile to reach the caves. I am guessing the water to be 15 to 25 foot deep.

Arkansawyer I noticed that the cave seemed warmer than it was outside as well. I even tried to talk the wife into all of us staying the night in one. I thought that would be pretty cool. She wanted nothing to do with that thought.

Furby

Ice and snow are very good insulators due to the small air pockets that are trapped in them.

Mooseherder

Quote from: zopi on March 26, 2008, 10:56:14 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 26, 2008, 10:29:16 PM

Dave

yup.....'llergic.

Do polar bears eat penguins....

can we teach 'em to eat groundhawgs?....six weeks my #$%

Dat was funny right dare. :D

Mooseherder

I think Bow Saw needs to splain deeze.

Bow Saw

:)Someone in Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada was aiming for the world's largest igloo ever built.  :o That Sunday the officials from the Guinneis World record were going to  measure and confirm whether or not this igloo was going to make the cut.  8)To promote the event they had other businesses/groups join in to build other igloos.   ;D People were creative and we took a few pics. Some photos have other folks we met up with in front of these interesting igloos but I'm not going to post their pictures. We don't know what the results were. smiley_gossip
Mrs. Bow Saw

Bow Saw

A cousin who has friends in the Province of Quebec forwarded this to us.
This happened about 2 weeks ago when there was a major snowstorm
that lasted for about 48 hours.  :o  It got so bad that they had to close a section
of the Trans - Canadian Highway!

Mrs. Bow Saw

http://super-ligue.com/tempete.htm

Thank You Sponsors!