iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growth Rings, I'll just leave this here.

Started by Ianab, January 09, 2018, 04:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

That's a full size 4x2 Radiata Pine.  Actually dried nice and straight, has had a dip in a borate bath, and is now holding up my workshop wall.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Wow, that's a lot of growth, about an inch per year! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

I bet you could just about see that tree growing!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

hunz

Judging by all the radiata I just installed for trim in my house, that's flat out astonishing! I imagine it was in the middle of a 100 acre field all by itself. Ha
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Darrel

Somebody imported about 30,000 BF of pine that looked like that from NZ and brought it to the planing mill where I worked.  It was random width 6/4 with the widest being about 24".  I ran it all through that big 14 knife per head Yates American planer, s2s in about 5 hrs.  I think some of the growth rings were even wider than what you have there. 

I couldn't believe how flat and straight it was.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

btulloh

Pretty amazing.  Jack's beanstalk didn't grow much faster than that.
HM126

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 09, 2018, 06:48:51 AM
I bet you could just about see that tree growing!
I'd think you could *hear* it growing - creaking and groaning! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

brad918

Impressive growth! Here is the opposite end of the spectrum.

WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

Jeff

Quote from: Chuck White on January 09, 2018, 06:35:08 AM
Wow, that's a lot of growth, about an inch per year!

Actually, 2 inches per yer as you are only looking at one side of the tree there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

YellowHammer

Some serious steroids going on in that pine. :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

Quote from: brad918 on January 09, 2018, 12:50:45 PM

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have 6" DABH Pondarosa pine on my property that are over 100 years old.

And FWIW, someone split the pith.  :P
1992 LT40HD

brad918

Quote from: Darrel on January 09, 2018, 01:49:24 PM
Quote from: brad918 on January 09, 2018, 12:50:45 PM

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have 6" DABH Pondarosa pine on my property that are over 100 years old.

And FWIW, someone split the pith.  :P

What is ment when you say "someone split the pith"?
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

Darrel

Brad, if you look at the picture of the piece of wood you posted, you will notice that the left side of the piece splits the very center of the tree which is called the pith.  The wood near the pith is young or juvenile and shrinks longitudinally or lengthwise when it dries causing the board to warp, twist and otherwise misbehave. 

I made a pair of 16' sled runners that I Had no use for by splitting the pith.

1992 LT40HD

tmbrcruiser

My home was built in 2000 and during the build I was shown radiata pine doors. To my surprise the wood is very dense and heavy, even though the growth rings were similar to your picture. Is that normal for all radiata pine?
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Ianab

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on January 10, 2018, 09:21:42 AM
My home was built in 2000 and during the build I was shown radiata pine doors. To my surprise the wood is very dense and heavy, even though the growth rings were similar to your picture. Is that normal for all radiata pine?

It's pretty normal for NZ grown radiata at least. The growth rate will vary according to the soil and climate of the growing site, so it's not all quite that fast. But normal harvest would be 25-30 years, for trees 2-3ft dbh. The trees have also been selectively bred for years for better form and more stable wood, so they are quite different to the original wild grown trees.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

That is why I dread having to saw 18 year old Plantation SYP.  The growth rings will be up to ½" and I have to flip the cant after every pass.  Just dreadful stuff.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!